Will I like NCL?

Coolmama_1

Judy, I have not done both but I have clients who have. While a few prefer Princess most still enjoy NCL, in fact the freestyle dining on NCL is even better because of all the choices and the totally casual dress at all times (not sloppy, please don't get me wrong) NCL is a bit more relaxed with better ship activiies. Food is subjective but probably Princess gets the heads up here. As for cabin size, this depends on the ship you are sailing, but probably Princess ship cabins are a little bigger. Overall there is very little difference in the mass marketed lines in today''s world as long as you compare class of ship in the same catagories. You can't compare NCL Majesty with a brand new Princess ship now visa versa. You can look at one line through an inside cabin and the other a balcony. Hope this helps some. NMnita

Judy, we just got off the Norwegian Star and we did the Sapphire Princess last year. I LOVED the Star as compared to the Princess. The food was about the same, but NOT having to dress up in evening attire makes NCL the best. I really liked the anytime dining as it worked out great with my kids. It really depends on what you are looking for. We are going on Norwegian Dawn in January and I can't wait to go again. I can't say that about going on another Princess cruise, but that is my $.02. I think you will like either because it is a cruise on a beautiful ship wherever you go. Good luck!!!!!

We just cruised NCL for the first time after 3 cruises on Princess. We were impressed by NCL, moreso than we thought we'd be. We'd probably still give Princess a slight edge, but you won't be dissatisfied with NCL. Some of the entertainment on NCL was outstanding, but some was mediocre, and we found that there was usually a better variety of entertainment on Princess. Dining room food and service was comparable between the two, but one decided plus on NCL was the spaciousness of the dining rooms! No sitting cheek by jowl with all the diners around you. NCL was also excellent at keeping hot food hot, not just warm. For buffets, I'd give the edge to Princess, especially for variety and layout. NCL had free ice cream available all afternoon, not just for an hour. Cabins were comfortable and well laid out, but the beds left something to be desired. We had two twins put together as a queen, but nothing was done to bridge the gap between the two. Embarkation/debarkation were fast and painless.

We have sailed three times with Ncl. We love the relaxed atmosphere of freestyle cruising. You are on holiday so you should be able to chose where, when and with whom you dine. Buffets we never use as we have found the food to be average and the area crowded (but we hate buffet style dining anywhere). Have a great trip.

We have only cruised Princess and love the Personal choice dining. That was the selling point for DH. To those of you who have cruised both Princess and NCL, please tell me how they compare.

Thanks,

Judy

Princess Personal Choice is a mixture of Conventional Dinning and Freestyle Dinning. I've sailed Princess, NCL, Celebrity,and Royal Caribbean and love the occasional change in styles.

I think you will totally enjoy NCL & Freestyle:p :)

We just returned from the Jewel March 5-12. Last year we sailed the Saphire Princess the last week of February. We loved just about everything on the Jewel, but ultimately decided we would not return to NCL for just a few reasons. We found the service to be MUCH better on Princess, although no one on these boards seems to agree with us. Perhaps we just ran into a few crabby workers, but it seemed like the crew didn't enjoy their jobs. On Princess the crew was always smiling and happy to help. Also, we found the food to be better on Princess. Finally, we enjoy dressing up and found NCL a bit too casual for our taste. I felt out of place in a gown on formal night on NCL, but loved to see all of the beautful dresses on Princess EVERY night. To each is own, and I don't intend to bash NCL. The trip was wonderful in every other way!

We just returned from the Jewel March 5-12. Last year we sailed the Saphire Princess the last week of February. We loved just about everything on the Jewel, but ultimately decided we would not return to NCL for just a few reasons. We found the service to be MUCH better on Princess, although no one on these boards seems to agree with us. Perhaps we just ran into a few crabby workers, but it seemed like the crew didn't enjoy their jobs. On Princess the crew was always smiling and happy to help. Also, we found the food to be better on Princess. Finally, we enjoy dressing up and found NCL a bit too casual for our taste. I felt out of place in a gown on formal night on NCL, but loved to see all of the beautful dresses on Princess EVERY night. To each is own, and I don't intend to bash NCL. The trip was wonderful in every other way!
you are not bashing NCL but giving your honest opinion which is what these boards are all about. As for the service and attitudes of the crew, I would have to say you must have just run into a few bad attitudes: read all the reviews on the same sailing not to mention the one thing NCL is noted for is the friendly crew. It must have just been those you came into contact with. As for the formal dress, yes, if you do like to dress for formals nights NCL is not the line for you. Many who sail NCL have had enough oportunities in their lives to dress to the nines that this certainly isn't important. Our family enjoy dressing for the occassion we just don't like carting all that baggage just for 1 or 2 nights, then you make referance to every night. I certainly have never been on a cruise where everyone dressed up every night. As for food, we all know this is a very subjective topic. I will guess about 1/2 prefer the food on Princess, the other half prefer NCL. You definently are better suited for Princess but I am glad you enjoyed your cruise on the Jewel. NMNita

We have only cruised Princess and love the Personal choice dining. That was the selling point for DH. To those of you who have cruised both Princess and NCL, please tell me how they compare.

Thanks,

Judy

In my humble opinion, I found Princess and Norwegian similar. With the Personal Choice dining on Princess , I found we had longer waits to be seated. But, they did give us a beeper on the Golden Princess so we could walk around until there was a table ready.

On the Norwegian Dawn, we would usually be seated right away.

We ate around the same times on each ship and they were both February Caribbean sailings. Also, Princess was much more formal in attire each night.

Thanks,

Judy

In my humble opinion, I found Princess and Norwegian similar. With the Personal Choice dining on Princess , I found we had longer waits to be seated. But, they did give us a beeper on the Golden Princess so we could walk around until there was a table ready.

On the Norwegian Dawn, we would usually be seated right away.

We ate around the same times on each ship and they were both February Caribbean sailings. Also, Princess was much more formal in attire each night.

Comparing the NCL Sun to the Princess Diamond.... I would give the edge to NCL. I thought the Sun had a better design. The atrium on the Sun was beautiful. It towered from the 5 deck all the way to the top of the ship with Glass elevators running up and down. On the Diamond the atrium was only 3 decks high. They did have glass elevators but something was lost in comparision.

We had a mini suite on the Diamond. I have to say from looking at pictures of the NCL mini suites, the Diamond mini suites are larger.

I had some bad experiences with the food on the Diamond. One time the Prime rib that was tough. One time the noodles in the soup where were all lumped together. You can’t be too hard on them for a couple mistakes over a 7 day cruise but I though our dining experience on the sun was perfect.

One last thing…. The Diamond had these two Jamaican entertainers. One on the steal drum and the other on a guitar. This was a Baja Mexico cruise mind you. The first day by the pool their music was charming. The second day a little tiresome. The third day.… down right irritating. Finally we move to the sun deck on the back of the ship guess who shows up!!!

I also enjoyed the more casual dress on the Sun. I will never feel deprived because I don’t have to dress up but that’s just me. If I was going to pick another cruise line besides NCL, it would be Princess. I don't like the fixed dinning times & partners that are customary with all other cruise lines.

Archived