Recipe for the Yellow Warbler?

kaymoz

There was a drink I dream of having again...and tho I'm not much of a drinker, this was fun and I'd love to make it for some friends.  It's called the Yellow (or Golden?) Warbler.  We had it on a Celebrity tour in the Galapagos, and of course it is named after a local bird.  The ingredients include passionfruit juice & rum, and maybe amaretto & grenadine, I think,...but there is more to it, and of course such good memories of a fun trip.  Hope someone here knows the recipe! 

IMG_5264 (6).heic

Edited by kaymoz
clarity

• kaymoz changed the title to Recipe for the Yellow Warbler?

Google is your friend.

The Yellow Warbler – a cocktail recipe by Michelle Hartsell Cocktail Engineer
  1. 2 1/2 ounces of good quality citrus vodka (I used Ketel One Citroen)
  2. 1 ounce of limoncello (I used Re:Find)
  3. 1/2 ounce of fresh-squeezed lemon juice.
  4. a small squeeze of agave nectar (if needed)
  5. a dash of Fee Brothers orange bitters.

Another Option

You can probably substitute Passion Fruit for the OK or play with it until you find the perfect combination.

Recipe Variations

The name "yellow bird" is a popular choice for a number of yellow-colored, tropical cocktails. The recipe above is one of the most popular and oldest recipes. If you're in the mood for a slightly different yellow bird, try one of these:

• The blended yellow bird is a popular frozen cocktail on cruise ships. It is made by blending 1 ounce each of light rum and pineapple juice, 1/4 ounce each of Galliano and crème de banane liqueurs, and 2 ounces of orange juice. It's served over ice in a hurricane glass. You can also skip the blender and shake the ingredients.
  • Many yellow bird recipes come from Caribbean vacation hot spots, and one popular version includes coffee liqueur. Shake 1 1/2 ounces light rum, 3/4 ounce crème de banane, 1/2 ounce each of Tia Maria (coffee liqueur), and pineapple juice, and 2 1/2 ounces orange juice. Strain it over fresh ice.
  • Another popular option skips the orange juice in the Galliano recipe.
  • For a simple yellow bird, top a shot each of rum and banana liqueur with orange juice.
  • Sometimes, vodka is added to the mix. These versions often skip the juice, opting for sour mix with 151-proof rum instead.
Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

Thanks, Jim.  I had googled before I put this out on CC, and I saw the post from Michelle Hartsell, (Materials Engineer turned Cocktail Engineer LOL!), along with numerous yellow bird cocktail references.  And I did think about buying a few limes and some passionfruit juice to just experiment with rum and whatever other compatible liquers I have on hand, as a last resort. 
But I was hoping I would strike a nerve with some other Celebrity Galapagos guest who was familiar with the version I experienced on the ship!

It will be interesting to see if you find any passengers with the recipe.    Often time each bartender has a little twist to make their special.  

Reminds me of a wonderful Chopped Apple Pie that both my Mother and Grandmother made.   Granny's was always better.   I did once asked my mother what she did different and the difference was only my Grandmother just dumped in all the dry ingredients on top of the apples and my mother mixed them in a bowl first.     That little difference made a big difference.   

• Like 1

I know there was one woman in our group of 46 who could recite the ingredients, so probably there are others who asked what went into it.  Wish I had!!!

Maybe there is another CC forum to better reach passengers with Celebrity in this area?