Yet another insurance question

vaindioux

Hi

We are rookies. We purchased the MSC insurance. Then reading here and there we realized it might not be such a good plan. It is non refundable but it does not matter.

I was wondering if the law allows us to purchase a second insurance.  I read here about insuremytrip.com and entering some info, we get so much more medical coverage.

MSC $25000 medical per person LOL, that's probably the ambulance LOL (Exaggerating for fun). 

I hope we can, i don't care about another $200 when the consequences might be devastating.

Thanks

Pat and Kris

'Heard' that even with "trip interruption insurance" one has to fully make every effort to get to the port, even if they know the ship has already left the pier without them, to get reimbursed. Also make sure that the airline and cruise line is on the "Covered Supplier List" of the insurance company.

From a poster:"We always buy it. One time, my husband caught the flu on a cruise. The bill was thousands of dollars! Travel insurance paid almost all of it and our regular health insurance paid for all the days (4) he was quarantined. Only thing is you HAVE to contact the insurance company while you are still on the cruise! They will NOT pay anything if you wait until you get home! They have international phone numbers. I called directly from our cabin on the ship. No problem. The nurse emailed all 36 pages of bills to them. Also, if you get sick on a cruise ship, you have to pay the entire doctor's bill before you leave the ship! Insurance will reimburse you.

Here is another; Travel Insured International. They offer higher coverage $100,000 medical, $1,000,000 evacuation, 3 years to find and use on future trip if original needs to be canceled, refunds if trip is cut down to a lower price say a 14 day to a 10 day or 7 day)and they cover all suppliers ( Allianz will not cover Virgin Voyages and Allianz publishes their own Covered Supplier List).

Most (or at least some) insurance policies have clauses regarding how they interact with other insurace you may have.  If one policy doesn't cover something, the other should pay in full.  If both cover an item, they would coordinate benefits to see which would pay first or if they'd "share."

At least how I've found this to work in the US.  If you're from another country things might be different.  The IMT company you mentioned has telephone agents that are very knowledgeable and should be able to discuss how any other polkicies you might be interested in would work with your pre-purchased MSC insurance.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vaindioux said:

MSC $25000 medical per person LOL, that's probably the ambulance LOL (Exaggerating for fun).

That does seem far too low for sure, out insurance (UK based) covers a little over $12m in medical per person.

There are rules in most jurisdictions that cover how liabilities are shared between multiple insurers for the same risk, just be careful to declare to the 2nd insurer that you already have cover, as there are also anti-fraud protections in some countries that seek to avoid people claiming for the same loss from multiple insurers and you wouldn't want to find that your 2nd policy had got cancelled because of those checks. 

• Like 1