Why is RCL pricing higher than Celebrity?

chiguypaul

4 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

If only it were that simple. RCI frequently has kids sail free or reduced 3/4 person rates that make it cheaper for families than Celebrity since they rarely offer a discount targeted at the 3/4 passenger. A lot of people choose RCI because they want the circus at sea. Then they turn around and buy Royal's expensive drink package and spend a fortune on activities and upgrades. A lot of people think Celebrity is too stuffy and boring so it's not even on their radar. There is more to the equation than just the bottom line price. 

It is just that simple. People are willing to pay for the experience that gives them the best bang for their buck, if that means paying more for drink packages and experiences is just part of their evaluation of what led them to go with RCL.

Pricing doesn’t do anything with the product.  

I worked at Cadillac.   GM had 5 divisions.   Chevy, Pontiac, Olds. Buick, and Cadillac.  You could pay more for any of the products than the one above it.  

You could pay more for a Chevy than a Pontiac in some cases, and same for the other lines.  A Buick Electrical 225 cost more than a Cadillac Calais.   In the end you still drove a Buick and the other person had a Cadillac.  People  would pay more for the Buick because that is what they wanted.

It is all in the perception.   Doctors drove Buicks because they didn’t want their customers thinking they were making too much money.  They use to make house calls.   Some ethnic groups became loyal to a certain brand because some brands wouldn’t sell to them.   Yes it is true.  

Some people may  think that Celebrity is out of their price range or too stuffy for them.  They may also want to sail on an amusement park at sea.  

Look at what food cost at a fast food restaurant compared to a nicer restaurant.  In some cases you can get a nice meal at a restaurant for the same or less than  at McD’s.  Problem is the kids want McDs 

You can pay more for any cruise line that another depending on the category.    Carnival can cost more that Celebrity, Princess, Celebrity and etc.  It doesn’t matter it is what the people want and enjoy.   I sailed many times on them and loved every cruise.  I ‘tried Celebrity and liked them better.  It was time to move on, now it looks like it is time tomove on again

I have been  loyal to Celebrity for 14 years.  I am very close to being Zenith.  I like AQ and Suites.  With the cuts and rising prices I have booked cruises on MSC Yacht  Club  looking at Seabourn, and Oceania.   I would never have done that before.   Thank you Celebrity for making me get out of the box and look else where.   It looks as if there are better alternatives and products for less cost that appeals and suits me better.   Life and life styles change

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched