Silly MDR question

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Heath Kit!?!?!?! I haven't heard that in a long time. Dad used to buy components for something (not a computer) from them. 

I can't remember the first word processing program I used, but it was pre MS Word. It was not WYSIWYG, and every coding command (and textbooks have a LOT of that--ital, bold, etc) added characters that turned lines and screwed up line counts in manuscripts. I remember Word and Excel from the days before mice. Everything worked from the keyboard. I still remember "Esc Transfer Save," etc. 

Was it Perfect Writer? - the CPM option before Gates even arrived on the scene.

Perfect Writer figured most people made letter transposition spelling errors, so they had a special program key that flipped the letters for you. 

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Heath Kit!?!?!?! I haven't heard that in a long time. Dad used to buy components for something (not a computer) from them. 

I can't remember the first word processing program I used, but it was pre MS Word. It was not WYSIWYG, and every coding command (and textbooks have a LOT of that--ital, bold, etc) added characters that turned lines and screwed up line counts in manuscripts. I remember Word and Excel from the days before mice. Everything worked from the keyboard. I still remember "Esc Transfer Save," etc. 

ditto.  I still remember my old DOS commands… and do remember my first PC (early 1980s…. Replaced some of the mainframe programs we used….  Remember punch cards for college classes in the 70s.  Pre-WYSIWYG). Pc was Double floppy.  
All of my coworkers are recent college grads…. I am Grandma.  They look at me a bit sideways when I talk of those days.  Medicare is also not in their vocabulary…. But they can type faster on their phones than I ever could on a keyboard. 😄

ultimately it doesn’t matter how the kitchen runs… or doesn’t… nor what “system” (paper or digital ).  As the title says it was a “silly” question based on an unexpected observation.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Was it Perfect Writer? - the CPM option before Gates even arrived on the scene.

Perfect Writer figured most people made letter transposition spelling errors, so they had a special program key that flipped the letters for you. 

Or Wang Word Processor machine?

That was the heavy duty machine the Admin staff loved.  I do remember there were two competing PC word processing programs…pre MS.   I used the other one … Word Perfect.

hated MS word when it came out as there were things the “old” program did that I no longer could do.   
Still better than the old Smith Corona….and correctype.

I think it’s all just a matter of what you are “used to”… some new things are good, but in some cases the good old way is still number one 

• Like 2

On 9/5/2023 at 11:55 AM, Torquer said:

On NS in June, our waiter used a tablet device for our orders.  However, the waiter at the next table used a pad of paper.  So it may be up to what the waiter's preference is.

This was our experience in Feb on NS. Since we didn't see them in May on Eurodam, I thought maybe it was a test.

Grade: fail