Anybody stayed in Hotel Belmont in Vancouver before?

mkkao924

Tried to search in the forum but nothing shows up. Looks like it's in the downtown and not too far away from cruise terminal. I understand it's not walking distance but it doesn't look too far either. Since the price is much lower compared to surrounding hotels, I am wondering if anyone stayed before and what's your opinion?

This hotel is located right in the heart of the entertainment district - some 2000 bar seats in a three block radius and is likely to be very noisy from the street action.

It is not a new hotel - recently revamp and returning to a previous name.

So unless you like a busy and noisy street scene I wouldn't recommend this hotel especially if you are staying on a weekend.

Just my view - I lived a block away from this hotel for two years and spent 12 years living in the downtown core so this is how I shaped my view.

Dennis

• Like 1

A little late to the party, but I'll back up everything Dennis said above plus give a second-hand review from a couple of folks I was showing around town literally the day of the US-Canada border closure early in the Pandemic.

Belmont just slapped a hipster paint job onto an old Comfort without improving anything important. The elevator was so slow that they just walked up to their 3rd floor rooms every time, and while it's perhaps unfair under the very unusual circumstances when these ladies went to the front desk to ask for help while they figured out alternate travel arrangements (supposed to Amtrak to Seattle then fly home after a few days there, which the border closure put the kibosh on), they were happy to sell them another night - at a much increased 'rack rate' price! - but the sum total of their 'help' was to suggest they use the room phone and WiFi to contact airline etc.! I ended up helping them out with their airline and Amtrak myself

Given that all hotels, even the good ones, have been struggling to recruit and train staff after the Covid closures, the Belmont is not likely to have improved in any way with customer service, maintenance etc. and they certainly haven't invested any funds in more soundproofing etc. But if you would like to buy cheap stolen bicycle parts, or visit our most historic strip club, you can do the former on the way to the latter at the unofficial bike chopshop in the alley between the two buildings 😉

And then yesterday there was a fire at a building two doors down from the Belmont and in guests were asked to evacuate the building in the middle of the night and while transit buses were brought in to help keep the guests warm it wouldn't be until later in the day that they could return to their rooms.