Holiday Cruise- what to expect

Banditswife

We were on the Koningsdam last Christmas and had a wonderful time! The late Christmas Eve concert was a highlight! I recall they were selling very small Christmas trees that they would set up in your suite, we ended up bringing a small one from Amazon. It was easily the busiest cruise with kids I have experienced. I have never seen so many kids on HAL, the pool areas were very busy and loud! What an amazing Christmas experience for those kids! 

We were on Rotterdam 7 days last Christmas, with 400+ children, not bad at all but a lot were in the pool. Midnight Mass in the theater had over 300 attendees. We are on the 16-day Holiday Zaandam this year and can't wait.  I think 16 days will be fewer children for sure. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Auntk4 said:

We were on Rotterdam 7 days last Christmas, with 400+ children, not bad at all but a lot were in the pool. Midnight Mass in the theater had over 300 attendees. We are on the 16-day Holiday Zaandam this year and can't wait.  I think 16 days will be fewer children for sure. 

There is a fairly active roll call for this cruise.  Hope to see you on board.  I am beyond excited to experience a "holiday" cruise.

On 9/17/2023 at 7:40 AM, Infi said:

Seconding the replies above and adding these:

• Lots of ship decorations: Christmas trees, garland, gingerbread house village in the atrium
  • Special MDR menus for Christmas eve, Christmas day, and New Year's eve
  • Tree lighting ceremony and caroling in the atrium (last year on Zaandam they also served mulled wine and Christmas cookies)
  • Christmas eve show in the theater: caroling, performances by the crew, and a very beautiful recessional
  • Christmas day visit from Santa with presents for under 18s
  • Christmas movies in the theater and Christmas music throughout the ship
  • Christmas cookies in the Lido, eggnog and stollen on Christmas morning
  • The ships used to have three simultaneous parties for New Year's eve (usually crow's nest or piano bar, theater, and the pool), each with a different ambiance. The one in the theater was the largest and most similar to the balls HAL has on longer voyages with live music and a balloon drop. Since the pandemic, they have only had one party outdoors by the pool. It's most similar to the orange party IMHO.

We were on Zaandam for the 2022 holiday cruise and will be on again this year. The New Years Eve party held outside on the Lido was a highlight for us. The Ocean bar musicians really earned their paycheques that night and we enjoyed the music and dancing. If it gets too crowded, go up to the Sport deck where you can still see and hear the party but there is more space to dance. 

As for kids onboard I think there were around 50 last year and most were under the age of 12. All were as well behaved as the adults 🙂 Never had any issues with pools being taken over (by adults or kids...lol) The smaller ships and longer itinerary usually means less kids and a more sedate vibe as compared to the craziness we have heard happens on the new, bigger ships. I'm sure you will have an amazing cruise. 

Never heard of an ugly sweater contest.

• Like 2