Just Heard This from Virgin

Gretchendz

2 minutes ago, -The-True-North- said:

Yea, the really the biggest annoyance.

Have to wait till you get on the ship to book and hope things don't sell out.

The good news in my case is that it's a Caribbean sailing, and we've been to these places before. So it's not like Europe there you NEED to see specific sites. If I don't get a particular excursion, it's not going to be the end of the world. We're doing it for the ship, not the ports (other than Martinique, where I have a private guide booked).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

The good news in my case is that it's a Caribbean sailing, and we've been to these places before. So it's not like Europe there you NEED to see specific sites. If I don't get a particular excursion, it's not going to be the end of the world. We're doing it for the ship, not the ports (other than Martinique, where I have a private guide booked).

Although in general in Europe it’s pretty easy to self guide as the public transport is available. We did Marina di Carrera to Pisa by train easily.

Whereas somewhere like Costa Maya you need a tour to get to the Mayan ruins, either booking with the ship or external.

6 hours ago, jon81uk said:

Although in general in Europe it’s pretty easy to self guide as the public transport is available. We did Marina di Carrera to Pisa by train easily.

Whereas somewhere like Costa Maya you need a tour to get to the Mayan ruins, either booking with the ship or external.

Yes, those are valid points (although in Costa Maya, I'd book with The Native Choice and not bother with a ship excursion). I guess it depends on how badly you want to see something. If you don't want to take a chance on missing out, then you need to pay in advance (other VV or private)  and use the loot for something else once you're on the ship.