Distance from pier to main gate - Halong Bay

wongcruise

• 4 months later...

I've been negotiating with a private guide concerning their Halong Bay half-day boat cruise.  They pick up and drop off at Sunworld.  Are there other options, and how do private trips compare with the Celebrity offering?  New participant, so pardon if this is not the best forum for the question.

To answer both questions, let me say that we were there earlier this month and it is a 5-10 minute walk from the furthest berth to the cruise terminal (which has a couple of shops, a restaurant, and wifi) but they did run a golf-cart type shuttle back and forth for free.  We were among the first off the ship so we walked in order to meet our guide on time, but rode the shuttle back in the evening when usage was more staggered.

In terms of a tour, I felt like we hit the jackpot with this one.  In fact, while booking, I wasn't sure that I was being completely understood because it didn't seem possible that I could pay so little to get a completely private day.  Private guide, private car (with a driver - not the guide) and a private boat - that's right, no other passengers on the full-sized boat that other tours will fill with 40-60 guests.  Just the 2 of us and our guide, plus 3 crew members (the captain, the cook, and someone to handle everything else).  I was afraid to believe it until the boat actually pushed off with just us! 

That meant we always had the best seat in the house, whether inside or outside, upstairs or down, if there was a view to be had, we had front-row seats.  It meant that when we stopped to go in the cave or on the beach, we got to decide how long we wanted to stay.  It meant that we could choose to have lunch at whatever time we were hungry - and oh, what a lunch it was!  The food just kept coming!  We didn't eat even 1/3 of what they presented - not because it wasn't good, because it was outstanding, but because they prepared enough for a much bigger group.  Drinks were extra, but the lunch itself was included in the price of our tour.

The tour guide, Ms. Gam, was the most attentive, most helpful, and most energetic guide we had during our 28-day cruise.  She spoke excellent English, and as we were cruising, she made phone calls to different shops when we told her what we were shopping for, to be sure we maximized our time ashore.  She arranged a massage at the end of our tour at a quality location (the transportation was included, but not the cost of the massage, just to be clear).  What makes her the perfect guide for this particular tour is her knowledge of the area and the people - she used to live on the water, so rather than just telling what "those people" do, she could speak from personal experience.  And when we were in the cave, we felt sorry for the other people we saw there because they were just traipsing through, while she had a laser pointer and directed our attention to different formations and told stories associated with them.

I will say that I specifically chose a non-ship sponsored tour because someone here on Cruise Critic said that you have to do at least a 4-6 hour tour in order to have enough time to go far enough to see enough of the bay.  Anything shorter and you don't get to see enough of the UNESCO-recognized area. 

The cruise line's excursion was 3.5 hours total, which included the transportation to and from the cruise ship terminal.  (Ours was 6+ hours)  Their excursion involved a (necessarily) shorter time on the water, with one stop - to tour the cave.  (Our tour included the stop at the cave, one at a beach, and a trip into a smaller cove where you could choose to have a bamboo boat (with pilot) row you around, or you could kayak yourself.  The highlight was seeing the monkeys).  Their excursion touted "drinks and restrooms available on board".  (We had a fully catered lunch, served to us at the time and table of our choosing!)  And theirs involved a bus ride (as my husband and I like to say, "With 45 of your closest friends"), every seat taken on the boat, and a shared tour guide for 45 people.  (We had the car, the boat, and the tour guide to ourselves).  The cruise line offered their tour for $100.  (I believe we paid $125 each).

We would absolutely do our tour again, exactly the same way, with the same guide.  You can reach her through WhatsApp at +84 352 403 168 and feel free to say that Donna gave you her info (that way if you'd like to arrange a similar tour, so she'll know what you have in mind - although, of course, it's fully customizable, so you can have her do things differently for you if you'd like!)

I haven't yet written up all of our excursions (18-20, all independent, in Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, and Cambodia) but I'm happy to share our experience if you're searching at ports in any of those countries - just ask.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2024 at 4:01 AM, alwayscruisetime said:

To answer both questions, let me say that we were there earlier this month and it is a 5-10 minute walk from the furthest berth to the cruise terminal (which has a couple of shops, a restaurant, and wifi) but they did run a golf-cart type shuttle back and forth for free.  We were among the first off the ship so we walked in order to meet our guide on time, but rode the shuttle back in the evening when usage was more staggered.

In terms of a tour, I felt like we hit the jackpot with this one.  In fact, while booking, I wasn't sure that I was being completely understood because it didn't seem possible that I could pay so little to get a completely private day.  Private guide, private car (with a driver - not the guide) and a private boat - that's right, no other passengers on the full-sized boat that other tours will fill with 40-60 guests.  Just the 2 of us and our guide, plus 3 crew members (the captain, the cook, and someone to handle everything else).  I was afraid to believe it until the boat actually pushed off with just us! 

That meant we always had the best seat in the house, whether inside or outside, upstairs or down, if there was a view to be had, we had front-row seats.  It meant that when we stopped to go in the cave or on the beach, we got to decide how long we wanted to stay.  It meant that we could choose to have lunch at whatever time we were hungry - and oh, what a lunch it was!  The food just kept coming!  We didn't eat even 1/3 of what they presented - not because it wasn't good, because it was outstanding, but because they prepared enough for a much bigger group.  Drinks were extra, but the lunch itself was included in the price of our tour.

The tour guide, Ms. Gam, was the most attentive, most helpful, and most energetic guide we had during our 28-day cruise.  She spoke excellent English, and as we were cruising, she made phone calls to different shops when we told her what we were shopping for, to be sure we maximized our time ashore.  She arranged a massage at the end of our tour at a quality location (the transportation was included, but not the cost of the massage, just to be clear).  What makes her the perfect guide for this particular tour is her knowledge of the area and the people - she used to live on the water, so rather than just telling what "those people" do, she could speak from personal experience.  And when we were in the cave, we felt sorry for the other people we saw there because they were just traipsing through, while she had a laser pointer and directed our attention to different formations and told stories associated with them.

I will say that I specifically chose a non-ship sponsored tour because someone here on Cruise Critic said that you have to do at least a 4-6 hour tour in order to have enough time to go far enough to see enough of the bay.  Anything shorter and you don't get to see enough of the UNESCO-recognized area. 

The cruise line's excursion was 3.5 hours total, which included the transportation to and from the cruise ship terminal.  (Ours was 6+ hours)  Their excursion involved a (necessarily) shorter time on the water, with one stop - to tour the cave.  (Our tour included the stop at the cave, one at a beach, and a trip into a smaller cove where you could choose to have a bamboo boat (with pilot) row you around, or you could kayak yourself.  The highlight was seeing the monkeys).  Their excursion touted "drinks and restrooms available on board".  (We had a fully catered lunch, served to us at the time and table of our choosing!)  And theirs involved a bus ride (as my husband and I like to say, "With 45 of your closest friends"), every seat taken on the boat, and a shared tour guide for 45 people.  (We had the car, the boat, and the tour guide to ourselves).  The cruise line offered their tour for $100.  (I believe we paid $125 each).

We would absolutely do our tour again, exactly the same way, with the same guide.  You can reach her through WhatsApp at +84 352 403 168 and feel free to say that Donna gave you her info (that way if you'd like to arrange a similar tour, so she'll know what you have in mind - although, of course, it's fully customizable, so you can have her do things differently for you if you'd like!)

I haven't yet written up all of our excursions (18-20, all independent, in Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, and Cambodia) but I'm happy to share our experience if you're searching at ports in any of those countries - just ask.  

Just now, Jenny142 said:

Thank you Donna, I have messaged her for the same excursion you went on, I’m wondering if she offers semi private too. We are on the Celebrity Sostice leaving Hong Kong on Feb 20. We are also going to Saigon, Bangkok and Ko Sumai, do you have any suggestions for port excursions at those stops? Thank you, Jenny

• 1 month later...

Hi 

On 2/16/2024 at 2:44 PM, Jenny142 said:

Thank you Donna, I have messaged her for the same excursion you went on, I’m wondering if she offers semi private too. We are on the Celebrity Sostice leaving Hong Kong on Feb 20. We are also going to Saigon, Bangkok and Ko Sumai, do you have any suggestions for port excursions at those stops? Thank you, Jenny

Hi Jenny did you go with Ms. gam how was your experience.  We are going on celebrity in Nov and was thinking of contacting her. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2024 at 8:01 PM, alwayscruisetime said:

Hi thank you for this post I found that you had written I messaged the lady and have booked 2 trips with her 1 to the bay and the next day a city tour, so thank you for that it all sounds very good 

Tracy