Veteran's Discount - Another Question

cruiser2015

Just now, cruiser2015 said:

I'm the OP, and I started this thread on 9/28.

So, if you commented about this months ago, it was on an older thread which I have not seen.

Questions do get repeated, especially if a lot of time has passed.

I dont mean this one. The subject has been discussed for months.  NCLs new veteran program was first announced nearly a year ago. We booked our first 10% off cruise on November 3rd, 2022, for a Jan 3rd cruise on the Sky. Since then every cruise this year has been 10% off.

1 minute ago, sailingships said:

I dont mean this one. The subject has been discussed for months.  NCLs new veteran program was first announced nearly a year ago. We booked our first 10% off cruise on November 3rd, 2022, for a Jan 3rd cruise on the Sky. Since then every cruise this year has been 10% off.

Fair enough.

I've sailed on NCL, now and then, for over 20 years. I'd never heard about this program until I saw it mentioned in another thread shortly before I posted mine, and that was after I booked my January cruise and made final payment.

I understand NCL had a discount program previously and restarted it this year.

Since we had 2 cruises cancelled by covid (6/20 & 1/21), we have not been to sea and I rarely visited the CC boards until the last couple of months.

Thanks for keeping the info updated on here, even though I missed it.

41 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Please be careful with your word usage.

Refundable means to get your cash back - in your pocket. That is a NO for the CF.

How about calling it reusable? Much more accurate.

In fact, the NCL T&C specifies the buy as non-refundable.

actually, that is not more accurate.  What I typed is absolutely correct, so no need for me to be careful.  Maybe you should be careful with your reading

9 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

actually, that is not more accurate.  What I typed is absolutely correct, so no need for me to be careful.  Maybe you should be careful with your reading

Well, this is what I read:

"all payments, including CF, are refundable"

So, no, you were not correct. You cannot get the money you pay for a CF back in your bank account.

I totally stand by my comments as 100% accurate.

18 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Well, this is what I read:

"all payments, including CF, are refundable"

So, no, you were not correct. You cannot get the money you pay for a CF back in your bank account.

I totally stand by my comments as 100% accurate.

Nowhere do you see anyone say you can get money back for a CF, but if that is what you choose to read, then so be it.  have a good day.  I'm done

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

Nowhere do you see anyone say you can get money back for a CF, but if that is what you choose to read, then so be it.  have a good day.  I'm done

It seems we are, almost, in agreement.

Conceptually, anyway.

The issue seems to be the word "refundable". It looks like you have your way of defining the word.

Releasing a deposit back into a CF certificate is not a refund to me. I guess it is to you.

Now, I'm done as well.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

The CF can only be applied to cruises 4 months or more in the future.

The certificate expires 3 years from date of issue.

4+ months after initial purchase, right? So if one had to cancel a cruise where a CF had been used, it could still be used, say, in two months after canceling....assuming the 4 months from initial purchase.

Doug

2 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

4+ months after initial purchase, right? So if one had to cancel a cruise where a CF had been used, it could still be used, say, in two months after canceling....assuming the 4 months from initial purchase.

Doug

Nope.

It needs to be applied to a cruise 120 days or more out when you apply it to a reservation.

So, you can use it for a sailing any time from 4 months after purchase up until 2 years and 8 months from date of purchase (you must sail within the 3 years from date of purchase window).

2 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Doug

this is correct.  it's 4 months from the initial purchase.  If the 4 months has past, you can apply it to a cruise that leaves tomorrow

Just now, dbrown84 said:

this is correct.  it's 4 months from the initial purchase.  If the 4 months has past, you can apply it to a cruise that leaves tomorrow

and if you bought the cert re-sale, it's 4 months from the original purchase, not when you bought if from the original owner.

3 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

I just bought some CruiseFirst last month and right away used two for deposits on B2B cruises for next Sept. I think the 4 months thingy is for the cruise which must be at least that far out. 

3 minutes ago, sailingships said:

I just bought some CruiseFirst last month and right away used two for deposits on B2B cruises for next Sept. I think the 4 months thingy is for the cruise which must be at least that far out. 

Yes, that's what we're saying.  The cruise must be 4 months out from the purchase date of the certificate 

12 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

Nope.

It needs to be applied to a cruise 120 days or more out when you apply it to a reservation.

So, you can use it for a sailing any time from 4 months after purchase up until 2 years and 8 months from date of purchase (you must sail within the 3 years from date of purchase window).

This seems at odds to what others have said above since we're talking about a FC certificate I'm considering purchasing for March 2025, more than 4 months after I purchase the CF. I believe if I were to cancel that potential cruise, the CF amount would revert back to my NCL account, and I could book a cruise anytime; as long as the certificate were still active of course. IOW, I'd not have to wait to book a cruise 4 months after I canceled that potential cruise. Did I say that correctly?

You are correct about someone considering purchasing a CF certificate today.....they need to know they must wait to book a cruise 120 or more days in the future to use that certificate. Am I correct? I will probably get another CF certificate the next time NCL has that "$500 for $250 sale"; that's a darned good deal.....especially combined with their military appreciation program.😎

Doug

Edited by PaperSniper4

58 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

This seems at odds to what others have said above since we're talking about a FC certificate I'm considering purchasing for March 2025, more than 4 months after I purchase the CF. I believe if I were to cancel that potential cruise, the CF amount would revert back to my NCL account, and I could book a cruise anytime; as long as the certificate were still active of course. IOW, I'd not have to wait to book a cruise 4 months after I canceled that potential cruise. Did I say that correctly?

You are correct about someone considering purchasing a CF certificate today.....they need to know they must wait to book a cruise 120 or more days in the future to use that certificate. Am I correct? I will probably get another CF certificate the next time NCL has that "$500 for $250 sale"; that's a darned good deal.....especially combined with their military appreciation program.😎

Doug

You are understanding it correctly.  I'll just point out one thing.... you don't have to wait 120 days to book your cruise.  The cruise must be 120 out from the purchase date of the certificate.  So you could buy one today and use it today to book a cruise as long as the cruise doesn't leave before February 13th

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

You are understanding it correctly.  I'll just point out one thing.... you don't have to wait 120 days to book your cruise.  The cruise must be 120 out from the purchase date of the certificate.  So you could buy one today and use it today to book a cruise as long as the cruise doesn't leave before February 13th

Roger that, you said it better than I did.

Doug

4 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Doug

My apologies - there is an error on my part. 

The 4 months only applies from date of purchase.

So, you are open to book anything anytime within the original 3 year window.

3 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

Totally correct.