First leg of a Grand Voyage cruise observations

DaveOKC

I booked a 5 day Coastal cruise after our 7 day Alaska one on the Volendam, unaware that the 5 day was part of a 56 day Grand Voyage to the Pacific islands.  At first I was a bit confused (my normal situation nowadays) as things were a bit different from the previous 7 day one.

First, the embarkation day lunch was FAR superior to the previous week's, by far the best we have had on HAL.  Second, we received chocolates on our bed EVERY evening, versus only on Dressy night (and the chocolates on Dressy night were much better).  Third, on Dressy night we had Filet and a nice sized Lobster Tail, have not had the tail since pre-Covid and even then it was very small.  I could not figure out why these changes, until someone mentioned that they were on the 56 day Grand Voyage.  

While all of this (and other things I am sure) were interesting, what it tells me is that HAL has intentionally cut back some extras that we previously enjoyed - it is not related to supply issues as often used as excuses by the crew when asked about them.  

• Like 2

One point may be that after last years somewhat disastrous World Cruise & many long time guests complained about service, food cutbacks & the condition of the ship post covid. HAL has problems with its quality of product & its identity in the cruise line industry.

Maybe some of these issues have been recognized & are being addressed... and more importantly CARNIVORE CORP is listening to its paying customers.

One experience I had many years ago on QE2 was the difference between a Transatlantic sailing  and a World Cruise. while the TA was great in every way the WC portion was SPECTACULAR.  The per diem cost was higher on the WC & it showed.

Enjoy!!!

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

I booked a 5 day Coastal cruise after our 7 day Alaska one on the Volendam, unaware that the 5 day was part of a 56 day Grand Voyage to the Pacific islands. 

Actually, this is not a "Grand Voyage," it is a "Legendary Voyage," which is a new category of longer cruises that are a level below Grand Voyages (although the cruise you are on predates the new category, it is part of that category of cruises now).  Its good to know, though, that HAL is elevating the food and service on these voyages as well.

1 minute ago, RBB said:

Actually, this is not a "Grand Voyage," it is a "Legendary Voyage," which is a new category of longer cruises that are a level below Grand Voyages (although the cruise you are on predates the new category, it is part of that category of cruises now).  Its good to know, though, that HAL is elevating the food and service on these voyages as well.

It must predate as they announced that they would not offer segments on legendary.   They will continue to offer  them on grands.

3 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

It must predate as they announced that they would not offer segments on legendary.   They will continue to offer  them on grands.

Probably because the Vancouver to San Diego segment is more in the nature of a repositioning cruise than just a part of the South Pacific legendary cruise.  Most of the passengers for that cruise are boarding in San Diego, just a few dozen of them coming from Vancouver.

Just now, RBB said:

Probably because the Vancouver to San Diego segment is more in the nature of a repositioning cruise than just a part of the South Pacific legendary cruise.  Most of the passengers for that cruise are boarding in San Diego, just a few dozen of them coming from Vancouver.

Probably so.