What are "contra" charges.

Dan Ashley

I purchased Princess Premier Plus and paid for it in advance.  On a 14 day cruise, I used it.  My on board statement, before disembarking, showed a refundable credit of several hundred dollars.  Princess emailed the final statement to me.  It showed two charges, that I do not understand. They matched exactly the refundable cruise credits. Those two chages were: 

21-Oct Contra - Premium Desserts Upgrade 140.00
21-Oct Contra-Premier Beverage Package 98.78

Does anyone know what these are, what sorts of goods or sevices I received for this expense, and why they matched the refundable credits exactly?  

I am very confused about this issue.

18 minutes ago, Dan Ashley said:

I purchased Princess Premier Plus and paid for it in advance.  On a 14 day cruise, I used it.  My on board statement, before disembarking, showed a refundable credit of several hundred dollars.  Princess emailed the final statement to me.  It showed two charges, that I do not understand. They matched exactly the refundable cruise credits. Those two charges were: 

Does anyone know what these are, what sorts of goods or services I received for this expense, and why they matched the refundable credits exactly?  

The implication is that you had Refundable OBC.  Can you provide description of what that was?  There isn't a lot of Refundable OBC to ne had these days.

It looks like they entered an accounting note to absorb Non-Refundable OBC.

ETA:  Welcome to Cruise Critic

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dan Ashley said:

Prepaid dinner at a specialty restaurant  which was cancelled several days before going.

If you cancelled in time, the refund should have gone back to your CC (eventually).  It could be the ship still recorded the credit paid to your cabin folio and then they scooped it back?  Just guessing without all the information.  You need to call Princess.

• 9 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 10/22/2023 at 11:03 AM, Dan Ashley said:

I purchased Princess Premier Plus and paid for it in advance.  On a 14 day cruise, I used it.  My on board statement, before disembarking, showed a refundable credit of several hundred dollars.  Princess emailed the final statement to me.  It showed two charges, that I do not understand. They matched exactly the refundable cruise credits. Those two chages were: 

Does anyone know what these are, what sorts of goods or sevices I received for this expense, and why they matched the refundable credits exactly?  

Edited by DANCING GRANDMOMMY
  • Thanks 1