NO door decor?

SoloAlaska

4 hours ago, www3traveler said:

Charter cruises are TOTALLY DIFFERENT than regular cruises.  Rules are made by the people charting the cruises: example Sixman Music Cruises-- rules made by Sixman.

Sixthman is owned by NCL, and the rules are supposed  same on board. This was a banned activity until recently.

• Thanks 1

Personally I think NCL doors are, what was it again? An eyesore and visual pollution? I like the small amount of personality that passengers bring by bringing magnets or other decorations. As long as the reason behind the rule isn't ignored. Fire hazard, really? If there's a fire in stateroom hallways capable of igniting said decorations, NCL has much bigger problems to deal with. I can get behind nothing political, protuding, or small enough to choke upon. 

One cruise, day 5, stone sober I was walking in a hurry determinedly to my stateroom. It was a full 30 seconds at least before I realized the reason I wasn't finding my room is because I was on the wrong deck. Even if I'm capable of remembering my room # having visual clues helps you more easily identify if you're walking on the right deck on right side of the ship towards the right direction. 

We also have children who like to race to be first to open the door, no matter how often I remind them not to run on the ship.  At least if there's something on our door they're less likely to try to open our unsuspecting neighbors door. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, scar4711 said:

Sixthman is owned by NCL

NCL is a strategic partner of sixthman. NCL does not own sixthman... sixthman charters their ships. if NCL owned sixthman, i would think the entertainment options and music on NCL ships would be far better and it's doubtful that they would have done away with certain broadway shows as onboard entertainment. 

21 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

The fish are disappearing. All the new corridor carpets are sans fish.

the new carpets onboard the prima (and presumably the viva) have triangles, not fish. the triangle points toward the front of the ship. a lot of people don't realize this because they have been trained to look for the fish. the fish are considerably cuter and much more on brand than triangles.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, carohs said:

We also have children who like to race to be first to open the door, no matter how often I remind them not to run on the ship.  At least if there's something on our door they're less likely to try to open our unsuspecting neighbors door. 

How would your children open your neighbors door?  Do they have a room card for your neighbor?

• Like 1

if your kids are young, you probably wouldnt let them carry the key card. consequently it doesnt matter what door they try to open, they couldnt even open your room, so that's a moot point.

by the way, (and im not trying to knock you in the slightest) i can understand trying the wrong room, but i cant imagine getting off on the wrong deck. the elevator tells you which deck you're on.

finally, a door is a door is a door. how can you think a cabin door is an eyesore. even in land based hotels, most doors are identical. what pray tell dear lady do you expect them to look like. would you prefer that every door to every cabin be different.

by the way, if you need something to identify your room, dont ever go to Cesars Palace in Vegas.

if youve had one to many, you'll never find your room

while i dont care either way if someone decorates their cabin door or not, dont you think if everyone had the same feelings as you, that having multiple door decorations on a multitude of cabin doors would create a bigger eyesore

if your children are old enough to read and understand numbers, all they need to do is look at the cabin number

• Like 1

2 hours ago, complawyer said:

by the way, (and im not trying to knock you in the slightest) i can understand trying the wrong room, but i cant imagine getting off on the wrong deck. the elevator tells you which deck you're on.

Oh come on! I see people daily about to go off att the wrong floor until someone calls them back. Especially between floors 4 and 5 on my most recent cruise.

(Not to mention all the people asking "what deck is this?")

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, complawyer said:

if your kids are young, you probably wouldnt let them carry the key card. consequently it doesnt matter what door they try to open, they couldnt even open your room, so that's a moot point.

finally, a door is a door is a door. how can you think a cabin door is an eyesore. even in land based hotels, most doors are identical. what pray tell dear lady do you expect them to look like. would you prefer that every door to every cabin be different.

by the way, if you need something to identify your room, dont ever go to Cesars Palace in Vegas.

if youve had one to many, you'll never find your room

while i dont care either way if someone decorates their cabin door or not, dont you think if everyone had the same feelings as you, that having multiple door decorations on a multitude of cabin doors would create a bigger eyesore

if your children are old enough to read and understand numbers, all they need to do is look at the cabin number

WOW. I can't decide if you're serious or seriously trolling. But okay I'll bite.

Have you ever been in your stateroom or hotel room and had someone pulling on the door? Or just argue outside your door? I have and it's not annoying per se, but it's also not welcome. I would like to mitigate the chances of this affecting my fellow passengers. It can take many forms because with children a simple don't do that doesn't usually work. Did you always listen to your parents? The kids have been capable of understanding and identifying numbers since 3, counting shortly thereafter. It doesn't mean they take the time to utilize this skill when they're racing. They do this if they have a key card or not to hand. So not a moot point. Maybe you haven't parented young children recently or maybe my kids are different, but they do lose some common sense and manners when they're excited. Adults do too if you haven't noticed, especially when intoxicated. 

Yeah I'm more than capable of knowing which floor I'm on. But also capable of making an error. In this case I was the only one on the elevator, no other buttons had been pressed and when the door opened there was no one waiting to get on. I was in a hurry and made the wrongful assumption that it stopped on the deck I chose. It's what, a second or two difference in ride time? I found my room and felt like a dork. It didn't take more than me showing down and paying attention. Could happen to anyone. 

I was being sarcastic about the eyesore, choosing that language only because of a pp. Sorry you didn't understand that. Still, I do find the doors simple and boring. I don't expect them to be different, but I can have my opinion without being questioned about it. 

From experience, I can say many do feel as I do about multiple cabin decorations. That's why we're even having this topic about having even just something small like a magnet. To add, I've sailed DCL where maybe not the majority, many many doors are elaborately decorated. I've yet to read anyone on a Disney forum describe this as an eyesore. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, UKstages said:

NCL is a strategic partner of sixthman. NCL does not own sixthman... sixthman charters their ships. if NCL owned sixthman, i would think the entertainment options and music on NCL ships would be far better and it's doubtful that they would have done away with certain broadway shows as onboard entertainment. 

This is incorrect. NCL owns 100% of Sixthman. All Sixthman employees are NCL employees. 

the "strategic partnership" wording is just marketing. Ive seen this used in other places on acquisitions. 

From NCL's own SEC filings:

"In February 2012, we acquired Sixthman, a company specializing in developing and delivering music oriented Charters. The purchase price was $7.5 million, consisting of $4.0 million in cash and $3.5 million in contingent consideration. As of September 30, 2012, we completed our allocation of the purchase price, which has resulted in recording $8.5 million of goodwill and tradenames related to the acquisition."

And Sixthman's CEO is also an NCL
Senior Vice President, Charters, Meetings & Incentives

but.. whatever. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

here's what sixthman has to say about it on their website...

https://www.sixthman.net/norwegian/

so, it's a "partnership" "funded" by NCL, but they are run as completely separate companies. in fact, sixthman claims complete autonomy and sometimes chooses ships of NCL's competitors for its festivals.

certainly sounds like sixthman was acquired by NCL; you are correct.

but they apparently run their own ship, so to speak, so they could conceivably make their own rules when it comes to door decorations. but, as you say... whatever.