Help With Winter Clothing on a Transatlantic Crossing

firegal2539

I've done four December Transatlantics. Figure the air temperature will usually be in the low 40s (Fahrenheit) but you will also have energetic seas and an inherent wind chill going on from the wind generated by the ship's passage. So I agree with the layering up approach as opposed to a big, thick coat. Emphasis on waterproof and also include a hat. 

As I noted in other threads I made the mistake once of doing promenade laps in fairly energetic weather wearing my leather jacket - which got soaked with seawater along with me. Thankfully the ship's laundry was able to save it by treating it for seawater.

Hope that helps. 

JT1101,

Thanks for the information. Luggage Forward is picking up my huge suitcase this afternoon and I finally was able to get a hip length rain coat, a zip up sweat jacket, 4 sweaters, hat, gloves, and scarf. I can barely rolled the suitcase, so I hope the airline will take it when UPS brings it to them.

Again thanks to everyone that helped me, Candie

• Like 1

Hi Candie Here’s wishing you a memorable journey on the Queen.Sure you will enjoy everyday as there is so much to do, and new friends to make. You will be ‘blown away’ by the Christmas decorations, especially the ones in the lobby and MDR. We will getting on as you disembark, so let us wish you a Very Happy Christmas and many more voyages to come.

Thank you Millieloulou, I appreciate it. I am a little apprehensive because I have never been out of the USA with the exception of Canada (which I love), the Caribbean, Mexico (which I don't love). I have taken over 50 cruises but never transatlantic.

When I decided to take the cruise I spent hours reading reviews, watching YouTube videos and I finally quit because so many of them just talked about everyone onboard was very old, very stuffy and you just couldn't make friends. I decided I would form my own opinion and booked the cruise.

Have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year onboard QM2.

Candie