Help With Winter Clothing on a Transatlantic Crossing

firegal2539

Hello,

I am looking for advise for my Transatlantic cruise on QM2 in December. I am doing the round trip starting in New York. I like to walk around the outside decks. Will I need my heavy winter coat to do this? It is big and heavy and will take up a lot of room in my luggage but I don't want to freeze. I have a lightweight hoodie and could put a sweater under it but again I don't want to freeze.

Any help will be appreciated.

Candie

I should have thought the most vital thing was something waterproof. It may not necessarily be that cold, after all the Gulf Stream is why winters in the UK are cool rather than cold, but it will be wet and windy. I have never done a winter TA though.

Our first trip on Cunard was a round trip TA in December. (We’re going on the westbound leg this December.) I won’t be taking a heavy coat, just a corduroy jacket and warm scarves, along with some thin, silky undershirts. That worked well the first time, and I doubt I’ll miss my coat this time. Your experience may differ, I know. I carry a lot of heat around with me, so if you get cold easily, you may need more than I do. (Living in Syracuse seems to have retrained my Florida-raised metabolism.)

Thanks for the info. Ever since I had Covid-19 my internal thermostat has been messed up. Since I caught it three more times my doctor says my body is messed up. I think I might try layers and scarves. I didn’t think about scarves. Thanks for the great advice. Candie 

We did the roundtrip NY TA on the QM2 in December 2019. I took a lightweight down jacket, which was fine for the coldest days on deck. We were fortunate to have several warm days where I was able to wear a sweater with a light turtleneck. I recommend taking layers. Have a wonderful crossing!

• Like 1

Manage your expectations for Promenade  Deck walking because even in summer crossings, they’ll close the Prom Deck in high winds. Depending on how windy it is may determine your chances for Deck 7 access vs colder weather. 

• Like 1

We have done several winter crossing (they are the best!) and interestingly, once you are away from land on either side, its  quite reasonable -- 50's and 40's - but with a stiff constant breeze.  You need to be more worried about New York and Southampton where there are more likely to be more "realistic" December temperatures.  Still each crossing is different however.

My advice it is to pack layers, scarf and gloves and get ready for some gorgeous seas and skies.

• Like 1

As mentioned, layers - one of them something windproof and water resistant.

Deck 7 access to the promenade may be closed [along with access to 'the Lookout' & the Observation Deck], but usually there is an attempt to put the wind on the bow where possible. Hardy souls are seen on the promenade, as the deck 8 & deck 6 access by the pools is available [with some hardy souls attempting the hot tubs]

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

Hardy souls are seen on the promenade, as the deck 8 & deck 6 access by the pools is available [with some hardy souls attempting the hot tubs]

Being a "hardy soul" helps you to relish the drama of a winter crossing.  

• Like 1

Not a December TA, granted but having been in minusC30 with windchill, don’t make the mistake I did with headgear. I took a lovely cosy Arran knot bobble hat. Guess what, knitwear has enough 'holes' which lets through the chill.

My advice, one word, fleece.

I also bought thermal underwear from our dept. store, M&S. Apart from my head, I was as warm as toast and without any very bulky outerwear.😀

Edited by Victoria2
Knit, not knot

On 11/5/2023 at 11:04 AM, NE John said:

Manage your expectations for Promenade  Deck walking because even in summer crossings, they’ll close the Prom Deck in high winds. Depending on how windy it is may determine your chances for Deck 7 access vs colder weather. 

This is the most exasperating aspect of a rough/windy crossing: just when the "fun" starts they close Deck 7 promenade, the glory of QM2.  A couple of years ago we had a wonderfully rough winter crossing and Deck 7 was closed for almost 4 days.  After three days, I just went outside via the stern just to be outdoors!  I attempted a loop or two when others were doing it as well, fearing getting admonished (or worse) by the crew.  Nothing happened, but I did feel like a miscreant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, firegal2539 said:

OMG I didn't realize it got that cold at sea. Wow. Thanks for the picture. Candie

In the 20th century, a major course of losses of Atlantic trawlers was getting covered with too great a weight of ice for the ship to bear. 

On 11/7/2023 at 10:48 PM, rtdiva said:

The pic is of a crossing in January 2020. The crew made snow angels! An absolute thrill! 

Looks amazing!  My kind of crossing!

When in the voyage did the snow occur?  Closer to land, mid ocean, in port before you left?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ClipperinSFO said:

Looks amazing!  My kind of crossing!

When in the voyage did the snow occur?  Closer to land, mid ocean, in port before you left?

This particular voyage had many elderly who had to be evacuated, I believe once while sailing the southern coast of the states, before we boarded, once in NYC and then sailing north from NYC towards Halifax. The last was during the most intense storm I’ve witnessed on sea. The ship had to divert itself behind an island, a peninsula, in a bay, (???) to allow a helicopter to be successful in the evacuation. It was during the late evening after multiple attempts to land the helicopter. I’m also under the assumption we stayed overnight in that area. So I’ll say to answer your question about a day from N.Y.C  closer to land. QM2 handled the storm well. The remaining days after the storm passed were fine. We’ve not any hesitation to doing the same crossing again. 

26 minutes ago, rtdiva said:

The last was during the most intense storm I’ve witnessed on sea. The ship had to divert itself behind an island, a peninsula, in a bay, (???) to allow a helicopter to be successful in the evacuation. It was during the late evening after multiple attempts to land the helicopter. I’m also under the assumption we stayed overnight in that area. So I’ll say to answer your question about a day from N.Y.C  closer to land. QM2 handled the storm well. The remaining days after the storm passed were fine. We’ve not any hesitation to doing the same crossing again. 

Thank you so much for all the details. Sounds like an eventful and thrilling crossing.  Very envious, and glad it didn't put you off winter crossings.  We have done both, and there is no comparison.  Each has their charms, but the winter ones are the ones we prefer by far.

• 3 weeks later...