Excursion for family of 5, one child doesn't want snorkeling - but rest do. Thinking Playa el Cielo??

heffa72

Anyone know of an excursion where we can go to a beach but have excellent snorkeling?  My middle son has zero interest in snorkling (off a boat in particular - I think he'd give it a try if it was from a beach).  I saw that Playa el Cielo has amazing snorkeling but it looks like you might have to do it from a boat a bit off shore.

We want an excursion that allows our other 2 kids to have a great snorkel experience while respecting my middle's fears of the open ocean.  If worse comes to worse, we could do a catamaran tour and he and my husband (who's not a big snorkeler) to remain on the boat, but that seems a bit lame for them.  Trying to find a happy medium to accommodate all 5 of us.

14 hours ago, heffa72 said:

Anyone know of an excursion where we can go to a beach but have excellent snorkeling?  My middle son has zero interest in snorkling (off a boat in particular - I think he'd give it a try if it was from a beach).  I saw that Playa el Cielo has amazing snorkeling but it looks like you might have to do it from a boat a bit off shore.

We want an excursion that allows our other 2 kids to have a great snorkel experience while respecting my middle's fears of the open ocean.  If worse comes to worse, we could do a catamaran tour and he and my husband (who's not a big snorkeler) to remain on the boat, but that seems a bit lame for them.  Trying to find a happy medium to accommodate all 5 of us.

You don’t say how old the kids are.

Chankanaab may be an option or perhaps Buccanos, which has a pool and snorkeling from semi rocky beach or from disused pier by derelict hotel.

Edited by c-leg5

7 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

You don’t say how old the kids are.

Chankanaab may be an option or perhaps Buccanos, which has a pool and snorkeling from semi rocky beach or from disused pier by derelict hotel.

12, 14 (the one who's not interested) and 17

15 minutes ago, heffa72 said:

12, 14 (the one who's not interested) and 17

Ok, maybe check out Buccanos website. Parasailing and jet skis available for extra. Pool and small beach if he would be OK with that. 

Better snorkeling (sea fans and fish) at Sky Reef but no pool. They also have a website. Rocky so no beach.

Palancar, better beach but would require short boat ride for snorkeling, not sure if they could get to El Cielo (you would have to write and ask). No pool.

Maybe Playa Uvas. Kayaks, snorkeling, pool. I have never been.

All have websites.

You cant get good snorkeling from a sandy beach without a boat ride.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

El Cielo is by boat so he would have to stay on the boat if not interested in the tour/snorkeling: El Cielo review HERE

Some of the other places c-leg mentioned on here:

BUCCANOS and BUCCANOS  We liked Buccanos. Plenty of shade with a very large pool, good food and snorkeling. My daughter loved jumping off the concrete dock there. 

SKY REEF: Very small man made beach area with a large restaurant but the snorkeling there was great and they have so many sea fans there in different colors...it was so beautiful (and it's NOT deep at all). 

PLAYA UVAS: Nice big area to eat at, large pool with swim up bar area, but snorkeling wasn't the greatest and we had issues with boats coming in over and over where we were trying to snorkel. We did see a porcupine puffer that day, a lizard fish and your regular tangs, wrasse, bermuda chubs and so on.

HERE's a list of all the places we've been if you are interested and might find something you like if the above does not suit your needs. 

• Like 1