Labadee and Puerto Plata

suec12

It has been over 15 years since we sailed RCL - now we are going with grands, ages 8 and 12. I am a bit shocked when I look at "excursions" in the above ports to see mostly pricey cabana options. Can we just go to the beach and there will be shady places to sit? rent snorkel gear and wade in? lunch served? Are all the slides and such on the ship free? if you stay on the ship when it is at the beach, will the slides and such be operating on the ship. Should we purchase activities on the ship ahead of hand. Things seem more complicated than before😒and I want the grands to have a good time! THANKS for any info!

Labadee I booked a coastal boat excursion. Last I went there was a free beach and lunch served. It's not built up much like coco cay. I did the same coastal sightseeing long ago and wanted to do it again. See the old and ragged fishing boats of the locals and it went past their local town. 

Puerto playa I booked a sightseeing excursion of some kind but open to ideas. 

We didn't venture out of Puerto Plata port, but did do the monkey island in the port. For us it was a great experience, especially since it didn't require traveling anywhere which can be a huge plus when you have young children.  Great quick unique activity if you have never done it. 

Labadee is a pretty beach.  You will easily be able to find a beach chair and go swimming for free.  If you think your kids will be happy with that for a day, you don't need an excursion.  

If your kids like animals, I was at Ocean World many years ago, and back then it was lovely.  That would be a great thing to combine with the monkey island in the port if your kids like animals.

Edited by kitkat343

I went to look at monkeyland from my excursions and it's on sale for 68.99. 

Googled it and you can go to the restaurant where you might see the grounds but maybe not a monkey. To enter the forest you have to pay, so I'm not seeing cheaper prices than the 69 from rcl. Unless you just wanted to stop at the restaurant... which I might see about doing after my excursion. 

20231112_142810524.jpeg

20231112_142717865.jpeg

The Ocean World facility is around 20 minutes from the port and has a lot of shows, a small snorkeling tank with fish and beaches.  Was pretty hot when we there so we didn't use the beach but it was extensive, with lots of umbrellas and loungers.  The avian exhibit allows you to feed the birds (tip expected but not required).  Recommend a hat since they WILL land on your head.  Would highly recommend it for grandkids.

Labadee has calm and shaded beaches to the right and a more open beach ahead and slightly left.  About a 15 minute walk from the ship or you can take the free tram.  Lots of free loungers (although locals will try to set one up for you for a tip).  Standard lunch buffet typical beach BBQ.  Really no worthwhile snorkeling there.  Extra cost excursions include an inflated water park and a toboggan like slide.  You don't have to spend anything there. 

Slides on the ship are always free, subject to height limits.