NCL Bliss -- Splash Academy Capacity/Full on Spring Break Sailings?

Aoumd

After 10 cruises on Carnival and Royal Caribbean, my wife asked me about joining her cousin's family on NCL Bliss for the kids' spring break week next year.  My son (will be 7) LOVES Camp Ocean on Carnival and will thus probably want to spend as much time in Splash Academy as possible -- especially with the reviews I have seen. 

When doing some homework on sailing NCL, I saw some comments about Splash Academy filling up quickly, sometimes turning away kids just 5-10 minutes after opening.  Is this commonplace?  Or was this a temporary issue due to staffing that has been resolved?

Thanks in advance for any info!

• 1 month later...

We sailed late June last year with my 8 yr old, before the end of the school year for us (Vancouver) but possibly after the end of the school year for other places. Splash Academy definitely filled up quick, but we made sure to be there about 10 minutes before opening and never had a problem.

Edit: Incidentally, we LOVED splash academy. My son is autistic and can sometimes have difficulty with new routines and unexpected demands, and he had a spectacular time. He can't stop raving about it even 6 months later. The "choose your activity" flexible style of Splash was the primary reason we picked it and it just worked so well for him.

Edited by donnamatrix

Cunard opens up slots for the kids club at 830 am for the following day on their website.  Once you’ve signed up it’s your slot and you can come at any time during the session, and even leave and come back later during the session.  I much prefer this than standing early in line 3 times a day to try to get the sessions for the day (especially on ncl where last time some of the sessions were only 2 hours.  On Cunard the morning session is only 2 hours so that would be frustrating to wait in line for).    The only downside is that people may sign up for slots and not use them (you can cancel them online but kids are unpredictable).  The website says they will eventually start to cancel a child’s session if too many non cancelled bookings are missed.  

Edited by kitkat343

We went to the splash academy on boarding day before we went to our room or lunch or muster to sign them up. Every time they wanted to attend we got on line a half hour before opening and always got them in. Chatted on the line with other parents. Some times it moved very fast. It was worth it every time. Only missed one nighttime session when we were turned away. 

We have been on Thanksgiving and spring break cruises. Both we had a hard time getting into kids club. They do it on an app now and you have to sign in right away to get your number to bring your kids to kids club. That helped a little bit, but sometimes it was a 45 minute wait at night. 

Thank you everyone!  Our plans changed and so we ended up on a different cruise and line for next year but this is great info to have if we can make things work with my wife’s cousin on NCL in the future!

Is the Splash Academy filling to capacity even in the summer? We are sailing to Alaska in July. We have sailed to Alaska once before with no kids and it seemed like there were fewer little ones on that cruise. Maybe warmer climates are more popular with kids?