Unlimited Open Bar Package

RaiderFaninNM

Hello...

Just booked our 1st NCL cruise and had the FaS with a "Unlimited Open Bar Package" selected.

Please help a newbie and give me the lowdown on this, limitations, is it truly free, is there a limit of how many drinks per day like Carnival?

What are some of your favorite to drink and what to stay away from, specialty coffee included?

TIA..

No additional cost beyond the 20% package gratuity payable upon booking (works out to US $22/person/day). No drink limit. $15 maximum per drink (any drink over $15 you pay the difference plus gratuity). Does not include specialty coffees. 

Edited by Phoenixon
  • Like 1

Hi...

also a new NCL cruiser 🙂 We booked our first NCL cruise with FAS. Because of the black friday sale it was 49€ pp. When I made the booking, I selected the pripaid gratuity, which is for our 10 day cruise around 400€. 

With the FAS we got the unlimited drink package and 1 specialty dining. Are the gratuity alreday calculated or will they add those each day of the cruise and we will pay with the final invoice? I didn't see the option about this, so I am a little confused.

We traveled with RC and when I bought the drink package there was the gratuity added, the final invoice was 0.

31 minutes ago, tashaaa said:

Hi...

also a new NCL cruiser 🙂 We booked our first NCL cruise with FAS. Because of the black friday sale it was 49€ pp. When I made the booking, I selected the pripaid gratuity, which is for our 10 day cruise around 400€. 

With the FAS we got the unlimited drink package and 1 specialty dining. Are the gratuity alreday calculated or will they add those each day of the cruise and we will pay with the final invoice? I didn't see the option about this, so I am a little confused.

We traveled with RC and when I bought the drink package there was the gratuity added, the final invoice was 0.

No extra gratuities to pay if you prepaid the service charge. And no extra for drinks or meals in the FreeAtSea for EU guests. Although for a 10 day cruise the FreeAtSea should have been around €100 per person with the 50% discount, not 49. Check again!

Below I post the pic of sale which is offered. 

What I don't understand is the folowwing:

the pre-pay service charges include the daily Gratuities which are mendatory + gratitudes from drink package and this one specalty dinning which we got as FAS.

I read about FAS that it's not completely free, as you pay gratuities.

As I see on my conformation, the prepaid service charge is 203,50 € pp, which I think is only the daily gratuities?

I read, that for the FAS drink package is the gratuities 20 $ per day + gratuities for 1 special dinning, this can sum up for a 10 day cruise around 220 $ pp.

Am I calculating correctly? I would be the happiest if there was only the prepaid service charge which included everything (daily gratuities + FAS gratuities).

slika.png.6c0931a9912d3e80ad465e19d1e4a895.png

53 minutes ago, tashaaa said:

Below I post the pic of sale which is offered. 

What I don't understand is the folowwing:

the pre-pay service charges include the daily Gratuities which are mendatory + gratitudes from drink package and this one specalty dinning which we got as FAS.

I read about FAS that it's not completely free, as you pay gratuities.

As I see on my conformation, the prepaid service charge is 203,50 € pp, which I think is only the daily gratuities?

I read, that for the FAS drink package is the gratuities 20 $ per day + gratuities for 1 special dinning, this can sum up for a 10 day cruise around 220 $ pp.

Am I calculating correctly? I would be the happiest if there was only the prepaid service charge which included everything (daily gratuities + FAS gratuities).

slika.png.6c0931a9912d3e80ad465e19d1e4a895.png

The only gratuity you pay is the mandatory service charge that you mentioned. The drinks and dinner gratuities are for US guests that don't pay for FAS. If you're in Europe and pay for it, there will be no more charges. Do note that it's "from"  49.50 for FAS. So, like I said before, around €100 per person for a 10 day cruise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tashaaa said:

Thank you Asawi for clarification. 🙂

I didn't know, that US guests don't pay for FAS, so when I watched the videos and read about it, it was confusing.

It's nice to know, that we won't have additional charges.

Yes, I like that too! I'm a little confused by your mandatory service charge though. Unless you're in Haven it should be 185 pp and in Haven  more than the 203 you mentioned.  But I really don't know Haven fees, so I could be totally wrong there!

My mistake,  because I just round up the cruise for 10 days.

Our cruise is actually 11 day, so it sums up 18,50*11 = 203,50.

It's better I get back to work, so I don't write misinfo 🙂 thank you again Asawi for your help and clarification.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tashaaa said:

🙂thank you again Asawi for your help and clarification.

My pleasure! Have a nice cruise, whenever it is! And enjoy your bargain FAS! I drink very little alcohol, but with the half price it's super even for a soda now and then!

I just want to make sure that people are not confusing the gratuities on the FAS drink and dining packages with the Daily Service Charges.  They are two different things.  While the dining and drink packages are sold differently outside of the US, everyone is also charged the DSC of $20 pp/pd ($25 in the Haven). The DSC can also be paid in advance, but don’t have to be.  If they are not prepaid they will we added to your onboard account each day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tashaaa said:

My mistake,  because I just round up the cruise for 10 days.

Our cruise is actually 11 day, so it sums up 18,50*11 = 203,50.

It's better I get back to work, so I don't write misinfo 🙂 thank you again Asawi for your help and clarification.

If it’s an 11 day cruise you should have 2 specialty dining credits included in your FAS.

Catherine

58 minutes ago, KforKitty said:

If it’s an 11 day cruise you should have 2 specialty dining credits included in your FAS.

Catherine

Only for balcony and above. For inside/ov 2 dinners start at 12 days. And price of the package goes up by 50 (or 25 if half price).

Edited by Asawi
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RaiderFaninNM said:

So the regular package was good enough....thanks!

The main reason to upgrade to the Premium is if you are a whiskey/scotch drinker.  The higher end whiskey are $35+ so a couple of those and you are already ahead.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

The main reason to upgrade to the Premium is if you are a whiskey/scotch drinker.  The higher end whiskey are $35+ so a couple of those and you are already ahead.  

Nice to know, so happy to know this will cover any drink we care for, under $15, that is more than enough for us!!

It's also important to note that in some instances, local taxes (VAT in Europe and state sales tax in the US) may apply. This could add around $1.00 to each drinks bill, whether you have a package or not.

If not previously mentioned, there is no 15 drink limit like other lines, bit the package does NOT include specialty coffees unless you invest in FAS+.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Guindalf said:

It's also important to note that in some instances, local taxes (VAT in Europe and state sales tax in the US) may apply. This could add around $1.00 to each drinks bill, whether you have a package or not.

If not previously mentioned, there is no 15 drink limit like other lines, bit the package does NOT include specialty coffees unless you invest in FAS+.

Also to note that you, unlike Carnival, can get two drinks at a time and don’t need to sign for each one.  You only sign if there is an up charge.

• Like 1