New to NCL - Getaway questions

jewel_beth

Hello.  I am a diamond RCCL cruiser looking at Getaway from NY in February.  We generally cruise in inside cabins due to funding with an occasional balcony if price difference under $500 for the cabin (don’t like outside as you lose the perfect dark the inside gives but don’t gain any space like the balcony).  This cruise looks like it would be in an inside cabin.  This means we won’t spend much time there.

We have cruise RCCL Anthem many times from NY.  That ship was set up with a lot of indoor space specifically for cold weather cruising,  Will Getaway seem very crowded indoors during those cold times?

I am a thermal Suite fan (will cheap out on cabin for upgrades like this).  How crowded does that get on Getaway?  

Also, we don’t drink alcohol.  I’ve seen mixed information about if NCL drink package includes virgin mocktails like daiquiris or pina coladas.

Any other tips for this ship or things I may not consider coming from Royal?

Thanks so much for your help!

February, New York, cold weather = thermal suite packed for the first and last 2 days for sure.

Yes drink package includes the virgin mocktails. But if you do not drink, is it worth it to get the package ?

Do a price check with and without the package and see if the price difference is more than the cost of the estimated virgin drinks you may drink on the cruise. You could be surprised...

Have a great cruise !

I'm going to say that it will feel crowded if it's cold or there's bad weather.

Some of the larger ships have an observation lounge which helps, but Getaway does not have this venue.

Thermal suite would probably sell out fast for a sailing this time of year, so you'd want to jump on it if you book.

Drink package does include mocktails, but no water or specialty coffees.

It's essentially alcohol/non-alcohol drinks and soda up to $15.

I'm sailing Getaway late April, so weather will be warmer, hopefully. 

Good luck with your decision.

We've sailed on the Getaway three times.  IMO, it's a great warm weather ship.  We love the Waterfront where you can sit outside and read while watching the ocean.  There are not a lot of inside areas other than bars where you can just sit and relax.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jewel_beth said:

We have cruise RCCL Anthem many times from NY.  That ship was set up with a lot of indoor space specifically for cold weather cruising,  Will Getaway seem very crowded indoors during those cold times?

I haven't been on the Getaway yet, but sailed twice on her twin sister, the Breakaway. And yes, in bad weather, those indoor areas on decks 6, 7 and 8 get very crowded.