Sand flees @ Tabyana Beach?

SC Girl

There are seasons in Roatan where the sand fleas are worse than other times....

Just like fruit flies... or mosquitoes...here in the states.

WE didn't have a problem anywhere we went on West Bay when we were there in December...and we walked past Tabanya's area...

We used a poduct called "cactus juice"...

You can google it.

Although...In southern California...when you get bit by sand fleas it leaves very very small red spots....if this happens..shower when you get back on the ship later and do not scratch them and they will be gone in 3-4 hours! It really isn't a big deal.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I were in Roatan in Feb. and got a bunch of sand flee bites. We didn't notice them when it happened and put on bug spray as soon as we saw the red bumps appear but by then it was too late. We ended up looking like we had the chicken pox but they were gone in 2-3 days and it gave us a good laugh. Bug spray helps but if you go in the water reapply when you get out. If you get the bites just chalk it up to a great story to tell your friends when you get home!

• 2 weeks later...

Just back last week from Parrot Tree Beach. Sand fleas were thick. I was covered in hundreds of bites, including under my suit. Good news is, they never itched or hurt at all. Just looked pretty funny - pretty much like chicken pox. They did take 2-3 days (not hours) to go away.

Definitely use a heavier deet product like Deep Woods Off (not skintastic. too little deet) and definitley respray as soon as you get out of the water. You wont have any problems if you follow that recipe. The folks in our group that got bit forgot the 'respray' part and got bit up when they exited the ocean.

Cactus juice works well too. Also I used that new Avon bug and sun lotion stuff, took one spray bottle of it and one gel. I'll definitely get some of that again next year as it is waterproof.

Andrea in Atlanta

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When my wife, our three young children, and I visited Roatan over Thanksgiving two years ago, we were blissfully unaware of the existence of sand fleas or "noseeums." I was wearing shorts. I first noticed being bitten by something while visiting the Iguana Farm. All five of us were bitten, for three of us it was no big deal. One of our daughters and I, however, had allergic reactions which caused new spots to appear all over our bodies. They were accompanied by intense itching. We needed to see the ship's doctor who prescribed oral cortisone to stop the reaction. On our trip this December, we are definitely packing the strongest bug repellent I can find.

We had a totally different experience. We all used deep woods off before we got to the resort and re-applied it. Four people from my group were covered in bites and they did itch and are still itching. We got back Sunday and we were in Roatan Wednesday.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
When my wife, our three young children, and I visited Roatan over Thanksgiving two years ago, we were blissfully unaware of the existence of sand fleas or "noseeums." I was wearing shorts. I first noticed being bitten by something while visiting the Iguana Farm. All five of us were bitten, for three of us it was no big deal. One of our daughters and I, however, had allergic reactions which caused new spots to appear all over our bodies. They were accompanied by intense itching. We needed to see the ship's doctor who prescribed oral cortisone to stop the reaction. On our trip this December, we are definitely packing the strongest bug repellent I can find.

for the OFF! products deep woods off sportsman is the strongest with 30% deet , regular deepwoods off has 25%

They have started spraying quite a bit more. Good for the tourist but bad for the reef...and sand fleas. Really depends on the day and time of year and time of day (sunset is worst) and location to the beach. Of my 9 months there only about 1 month has been bad. My wife uses spray. I tough it as she is my insect repellant. Just keep her near and they go after her instead. :D

Archived