Thinking to cancel drinks package on upcoming Alaska cruise

Calicoskies1234

I have a related question re: keeping or cancellation the drink package, I'm booked on the 10 day Grecian Islands cruise in Aug 2024, my roommate wants to check into cancelling the package, feeling like she won't drink enough to warrant it.  If she cancels it, will her cruise fare be reduced?  For myself, it's worth it to keep the drink package, it will be a port-intensive cruise anyway, I won't be sitting around on deck all day drinking, but it's definitely nice to have some wine with dinner.

45 minutes ago, mrsbunder said:

I have a related question re: keeping or cancellation the drink package, I'm booked on the 10 day Grecian Islands cruise in Aug 2024, my roommate wants to check into cancelling the package, feeling like she won't drink enough to warrant it.  If she cancels it, will her cruise fare be reduced?  For myself, it's worth it to keep the drink package, it will be a port-intensive cruise anyway, I won't be sitting around on deck all day drinking, but it's definitely nice to have some wine with dinner.

If you select the drink package, $21.80 per day per person for everyone 21+ in the room is added to the fare you paid when you booked.  The roommate would get $218 back if they decide to decline it.  The problem is that you would also get $218 back because everyone in the room needs to have the package or no one.  

BTW...wines run between about $11-$15 a glass so it really is only 2 drinks a day to break even.  

Edited by Liljo22
  • Like 1

If you cancel the package, I assume it is what comes with "Free" at Sea, will you get a decrease in price ABOVE not paying the 20% Gratuity.   

If I decide not to take the Dining or Drink package from cruise booked through the Sydney office there is no decrease in the fare.

I just don't pay the gratuity.

Two $15 drinks, especially doubles, easily covers the Gratuity.   And I can drink as much or as little each day.