Live from the Flora, 10-night Ecuador and Galapagos Adventure, Dec 8-18

Ken the cruiser

I added this reference material to help understand what wildlife might be seen at the various stops on the Inner Loop itinerary.

IMG_5666.jpeg.23f7d2bc934465938f6d91b9923ef83c.jpeg

This chart will come in handy to determine the likelihood of seeing certain wildlife once we arrive at a location and possibly when cruising between them. For example, seeing albatross flying around might be somewhat remote since most are found on Espanola, which we are not scheduled to visit.

IMG_5665.thumb.jpeg.aa412b84a65197df1984da033aa318e9.jpeg

A more detailed map listing the various Galápagos Islands.

IMG_5670.jpeg.af32f6d6bf44e86baaea193ac88d1aee.jpeg

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 10

I believe we could be “travel addicted” related.  LOL. DH and I travel extensively with about 100+ countries so far.  Two incredible world cruises on the beloved Pacific Princess (now belongs to Azamara as the Onward) in 2017 and 2019, one northen and one southern hemisphere.  Our last cruise in January 2020 before Covid was Antartica and So America, with a 10-day land trip before cruise for Iguaza Falls (spectacular).   I had no idea the travel withdrawal during Covid would be so bad.  We were able to do first cruise on a Princess New Year’s Eve cruise bidding 2021 and Covid good riddance and ringing in 2022 on board.  And we haven’t stopped since. LOL.  We typically take a cruise once per quarter.  We are booked on the new Celebriy Ascent in February.  Will first on Edge class.  First reports say it is beautiful.

We also took the tip on the Keen shoes!  They were just delivered last week.

Found some good clothing sales at Columbia at Tanger Outlet before Thanksgiving.

Our final pay is due Jan 13.  I will have my TA get in touch with Celebrity to see what fares we can get.  Appreciate the flight info you offered.

Ken, another similarity we share is researching all information we can find on our trip destinations.  I will be reading all these links you shared.  I thrive on knowledge.

• Like 1

Of course, my ultimate goal will be to take a photo of the elusive Galapagos dove (pigeon) while on the cruise. 😂  

But after doing some specific research regarding the “Inner Loop” itinerary using the above chart, here is some of the other wildlife we might see at each of our stops along the way. 

Isabela Island - blue-footed boobies, flightless cormorants, fur seals, giant tortoises, land and marine iguanas, Nazcia boobies, penguins, sea turtles, and possibly some whales

Daphne Island (cruise only) - dolphins 

Rabida Island - blue-footed boobies, dolphins, marine iguanas, and pink flamingos

Santiago Island - dolphins, fur seals, marine iguanas, penguins (Sullivan Island), sea turtles, and sting rays

Bartolome Island - Marine iguanas, penguins, sting rays, and dolphins

North Seymour Island - blue-footed boobies, land and marine iguanas, dolphins, frigatebirds, and hammerhead sharks

San Cristobal Island - blue-footed boobies, marine iguanas, red-footed boobies (Punta Pitt), and sea turtles

Santa Cruz Island - blue-footed boobies, dolphins, land and marine iguanas, and giant tortoises

• Like 7

Have your binoculars handy when you circumnavigate Daphne Island. You may see Nazca Boobies either resting on the rocks or in flight. We also tropicbirds (they have a really long tail), frigatebirds, and gulls in flight. 

The Galapagos Doves are quite pretty. Start your hunt for this “elusive” bird as soon as you land at the Baltra airport. I remember your “elusive” pigeon photos from another live I enjoyed of yours.  😂

• Thanks 1

As we continue to get excited about our upcoming wildlife adventure, I glanced back at some of the photos we took on the 2015 Xpedition "Southern Loop" itinerary. Needless to say, there were a lot more wildlife varieties than just the "major" ones listed in the above table. I can only imagine how many photos are going to be taken on this cruise. I just hope my iPhone SE can handle the load! 😂

Baltra Island – Brown pelican

Espanola Island - Sea lions, Galapagos mockingbird, Oystercatcher, Christmas Iguana, Sally Lightfoot crab, Galapagos Hawk, Galapagos Dove, Waved Albatross, Masked Booby, Swallow-tailed Gull, Blue-footed Booby.

Floreana Island - Sea lions, Greater Flamingos, Green Sea Turtle, Sally Lightfoot Crab, Blue-footed Booby, Galapagos Penguin, Whimbrel, Cocoi Heron

Isabela Island - Galapagos White-cheeked Pintail Ducks, Green Sea Turtles, Flightless Cormorant, Galapagos Land Iguana

Fernandina Island - Marine Iguanas, Galapagos Lava Lizard, Masked Booby, Galapagos Penguin

Santa Cruz - Land lizard, Yellow Warbler, Cattle Egret, Sea lion, Swallow-tailed Gulls, Red-billed Tropicbird, Cocoi Heron

Puerto Ayora (Santa Cruz) - Saddle Tortoise, Galapagos Tortoise, Lava Lizard, Lava Gull, Magnificent Frigatebird, Giant Tortoise

Antisana Eco Reserve - Black Caracara, Andean Gull, Ecuadorian Ibis, Giant Hummingbird, Western Emerald Hummingbird

• Like 4

What time of year were you there before?  I would love to see a Giant Hummingbird, blue footed boobies and some sharks.  We have seen many of the non-bird wildlife on other adventures (penquins in So Africa, Antarctica, flamingoes in Namibia, large land tortoises in Sychelles, albatross in New Zealand, humpback whale season Feb in Maui).  What I am looking forward to the most is the experience of how close you are to all these beautiful creatures and be in awe to just admire them.

Just now, Gardenbunny50 said:

What time of year were you there before?  I would love to see a Giant Hummingbird, blue footed boobies and some sharks.  We have seen many of the non-bird wildlife on other adventures (penquins in So Africa, Antarctica, flamingoes in Namibia, large land tortoises in Sychelles, albatross in New Zealand, humpback whale season Feb in Maui).  What I am looking forward to the most is the experience of how close you are to all these beautiful creatures and be in awe to just admire them.

Our 10-day Galapagos booking on the Xpedition was from Nov 29 - Dec 8, 2015. On that cruise the rule was you could not get within 6 feet of any animal you might come upon. For example, we ran into a bunch of marine iguanas, around 100+, on the trail and had to find a way to walk around them.

However, if they come up to you, all bets are off. For example, my DW had a splashing contest with a seal that decided to come visit her while she was sitting on the beach with her feet in the water. Another time a mockingbird landed on my hat I was wearing while I was watching albatross try to land, which is a whole different story! 😁

• Like 2

Absolutely I am aware we have to keep our distance - but that is pretty cool if they decide to engage with us 😃

Galapagos and Machu Picchu had not been seriously considered due to my feelings about so many places such as these being over touristed.  I was so pleased when we went to the Celebrity presentation to learn how eco-conscious they are.  And from other recent live posters I am more and more impressed that Celebrity s committed to keeping this area as Darwin had experienced it in 1835.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gardenbunny50 said:

Absolutely I am aware we have to keep our distance - but that is pretty cool if they decide to engage with us 😃

When we went to Volunteer Point in the Falklands, we were told we could absolute not approach or engage with the penguins.  There are signs all over with that.  However, penguins can't read.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I had so much fun watching the penquins in the Falklands. We had a yellow line boundary around their grouping that we were not allowed to cross over.  The babies were running and chasing each other.  It was January and the penquin gathering was quite large.  We were fortunate that a few King penquins were there.  Such a treat.  Then on our Antartica cruise to see them riding on the icebergs, oh my.  I love experiencing nature in their natural habitat.  Saw the most amazing specimens on a nature hike in the jungle of Madagascar - being a snake admirer, got to see a boa on a tree branch just over my head!  

The photos that have been posted from Live Galapagos cruisers have been so spectacular.  I cannot wait.  I capture a few pics with my iPhone, but my mind holds the image of what I saw forever.  I am envious of these photographers that have the talent to get such amazing shots.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gardenbunny50 said:

I had so much fun watching the penquins in the Falklands. We had a yellow line boundary around their grouping that we were not allowed to cross over.  The babies were running and chasing each other.  It was January and the penquin gathering was quite large.  We were fortunate that a few King penquins were there.  Such a treat.  Then on our Antartica cruise to see them riding on the icebergs, oh my.  I love experiencing nature in their natural habitat.  Saw the most amazing specimens on a nature hike in the jungle of Madagascar - being a snake admirer, got to see a boa on a tree branch just over my head!  

The photos that have been posted from Live Galapagos cruisers have been so spectacular.  I cannot wait.  I capture a few pics with my iPhone, but my mind holds the image of what I saw forever.  I am envious of these photographers that have the talent to get such amazing shots.

For us finding places to cruise where you can see wildlife in their natural habitat can be an awesome experience. In January after this cruise we will continue to get our penguin fix on a 30-day SA cruise with 4 days cruising around the Antarctica Peninsula, where we will hopefully be able to visit the Falkland Islands twice as well as a variety of stops in Argentina and Chile where various types of penguins roam free! 😁

I see you have been to Madagascar. If you look in my below expanded Signature area, you’ll see a Live From thread covering our 38-day B2B on the NCL Jade from Athens to Cape Town by way of Dubai we did last year. We had a fun time on the second leg checking out the Lemurs in Madagascar as well as going on 3 safaris in South Africa, ending in Cape Town with a visit to see some of their penguins. 

• Like 2

Just now, Norwaylady said:

Bon Voyage @Ken the cruiser

Looking forward to follow this adventure! 

I see you have Longyearbyen/ Svalbard on your next list...

We do. We’re booked on the NCL Star on a 22-day B2B round trip from Reykjavik to Tromso and back starting the end of May 2025. It’s been on the bucket list for quite a while. We booked it so early we were able to get an aft-facing cabin as well.  😁

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We do. We’re booked on the NCL Star on a 22-day B2B round trip from Reykjavik to Tromso and back starting the end of May 2025. It’s been on the bucket list for quite a while. We booked it so early we were able to get an aft-facing cabin as well.  😁

OH,. what a great itinerary! I had to go to NCL to see:) You will not regret this sailing. 

I can actually really want to sail this itinerary.....  

We talked about it this morning.....😂 Mr called me on his way to work.... Artania was in Oslo.

We want to do a new "Norwegian" cruise, but not on Hurtigruten. (I want a full cruise thing)

Do you think we should come along🤣?

16 minutes ago, Norwaylady said:

OH,. what a great itinerary! I had to go to NCL to see:) You will not regret this sailing. 

I can actually really want to sail this itinerary.....  

We talked about it this morning.....😂 Mr called me on his way to work.... Artania was in Oslo.

We want to do a new "Norwegian" cruise, but not on Hurtigruten. (I want a full cruise thing)

Do you think we should come along🤣?

Sounds great! We're doing the B2B from Reykjavik so we can go to Longyearbyen twice, which hopefully will double our chances of seeing polar bears, at least from the ship that is!!

As I mentioned on my Africa thread, we started appreciating what NCL had to offer once we stopped comparing them to X and PCL. If you do decide to book it, don't forget to check out NCL's FAS Plus option. For us it's well worth the extra funds with the inclusion of 2 more specialty dinners for a total of 4, unlimited internet, the extra $50 excursion allotment for the second guest, and all beverages, to include water and Starbucks beverages, which are not included with the regular FAS.

The only negative I can think of is that their daily gratuities (DSC) is not included in the FAS and you cannot pay for it with nonrefundable OBC your TA might give you. In our case we got our TA to give us a rebate check instead of the NR OBC they were going to give us for booking the cruise through them.

• Like 1

Just now, Ken the cruiser said:

Sounds great! We're doing the B2B from Reykjavik so we can go to Longyearbyen twice, which hopefully will double our chances of seeing polar bears, at least from the ship that is!!

As I mentioned on my Africa thread, we started appreciating what NCL had to offer once we stopped comparing them to X and PCL. If you do decide to book it, don't forget to check out NCL's FAS Plus option. For us it's well worth the extra funds with the inclusion of 2 more specialty dinners for a total of 4, unlimited internet, the extra $50 excursion allotment for the second guest, and all beverages, to include water and Starbucks beverages, which are not included with the regular FAS.

Mr lived in Longyearbyen for 20months before we married, he worked there. So it was lots of polar bears when he lived there in the city.... it was very overactive during his stay there... So he has been spoiled! 

I, on the other hand have visited Longyerbyen several times and still not seen a polar bear.... I know they have been close, but not visible. 

During covid, the place we could go furthest away from Oslo was Svalbard.... So we visited several times..6 trips in 2021 to new year 2022😅 (so we have tested almost all tours available😂)

I will really consider it🚢 Mr want to go on a new "cold water" cruise....

I need to read up on NCL options.... I can just see from the pricing that they offer me 3 options in NOK. They offer Cruise best 50% off, cruise+tips and Free at sea. The difference in price is around 250USD for the cruise best vs FAS option. 

This really gives me something to think about....

7 minutes ago, Norwaylady said:

Mr lived in Longyearbyen for 20months before we married, he worked there. So it was lots of polar bears when he lived there in the city.... it was very overactive during his stay there... So he has been spoiled! 

I, on the other hand have visited Longyerbyen several times and still not seen a polar bear.... I know they have been close, but not visible. 

During covid, the place we could go furthest away from Oslo was Svalbard.... So we visited several times..6 trips in 2021 to new year 2022😅 (so we have tested almost all tours available😂)

I will really consider it🚢 Mr want to go on a new "cold water" cruise....

I need to read up on NCL options.... I can just see from the pricing that they offer me 3 options in NOK. They offer Cruise best 50% off, cruise+tips and Free at sea. The difference in price is around 250USD for the cruise best vs FAS option. 

This really gives me something to think about....

The FAS "Plus" option is an add-on to the regular FAS and is not listed anywhere during the initial booking process.

Norwegian's Free at Sea Plus - 1/18/23 (ncl.com)

For us paying in US$, it is an extra $49 pp/day on top of the gratuities charge you pay for the FAS Beverage and Dining packages when you book the cruise.

• Thanks 1

OK, back to Galapagos stuff. After looking back on my photos from 2015, I realized I researched the names of the animals we took pictures of after we got home. So I decided that approach is not going to work with this thread while we are on the Flora. To help with this effort, I found this Wildlife in Galápagos webpage that has most animals found in the Galapagos on one page! 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Gardenbunny50 said:

Galapagos topic - did you wear any socks with the Keen closed toe sandals?  No issues with sand rubbing, blisters or hot spots w/o for doing the hikes?  

My husband wore socks with his and it worked great for him.  I didn't and did battle some with small rocks although never got any blisters.  It helped to bring a foot towel from the ship to drive off my feet and shake the sand out of the Keens after a wet landing.  Rockier beaches like Rabida Island were a bigger challenge than the softer beaches like Bachas Beach.  I will admit the wildlife often distracted me from any discomfort.  On Rabida Island I was more focused on photographing the Galapagos Hawk  in a small tree right on the beach than whether I needed to clear my sandals of rocks.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, prmssk said:

My husband wore socks with his and it worked great for him.  I didn't and did battle some with small rocks although never got any blisters.  It helped to bring a foot towel from the ship to drive off my feet and shake the sand out of the Keens after a wet landing.  Rockier beaches like Rabida Island were a bigger challenge than the softer beaches like Bachas Beach.  I will admit the wildlife often distracted me from any discomfort.  On Rabida Island I was more focused on photographing the Galapagos Hawk  in a small tree right on the beach than whether I needed to clear my sandals of rocks.  

Thanks! Do you by chance remember which stops were the wet landings on your Northern Loop itinerary?

1 hour ago, Gardenbunny50 said:

FYI is your Iberian Passage TA 16 days on Princess Sept 23, 2024?

Galapagos topic - did you wear any socks with the Keen closed toe sandals?  No issues with sand rubbing, blisters or hot spots w/o for doing the hikes?  

Our Iberian/Iceland TA is a 22-day B2B in July 2025. Thanks @prmssk for answering the Keen question, as we just bought ours and haven't used them yet.

16 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks! Do you by chance remember which stops were the wet landings on your Northern Loop itinerary?

Wet Landings included:

Rabida Island (course red sand beach)

Santiago (I think this was Egas Port) (course black sand)

Urbina Bay, Isabela (I don't remember what the beach was actually like - I think I was too distracted by the yellow warblers)

Las Bachas (softer white sand)

Dry Landings included:

Tagus Cove, Isabela

Punta Espinoza, Fernandina

Bartolome

North Seymour

Sullivan Bay, Santiago

Puerto Ayora, Santiago (an actual dock)

I don't think you go to Fernandina or Urbina Bay but I think the rest of the stops are on your itinerary.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, prmssk said:

Wet Landings included:

Rabida Island (course red sand beach)

Santiago (I think this was Egas Port) (course black sand)

Urbina Bay, Isabela (I don't remember what the beach was actually like - I think I was too distracted by the yellow warblers)

Las Bachas (softer white sand)

Dry Landings included:

Tagus Cove, Isabela

Punta Espinoza, Fernandina

Bartolome

North Seymour

Sullivan Bay, Santiago

Puerto Ayora, Santiago (an actual dock)

I don't think you go to Fernandina or Urbina Bay but I think the rest of the stops are on your itinerary.

Thanks!! That list is super helpful!! 😁