Fresh off the boat, this morning. A 3 day Magnifica recap.

JimR24

Overall - no major issues or complaints.  We’re pretty easy going and I just can’t see going on a short vacation and look for things to complain about.  

Embarkation - had an 11:30am time.  We arrived at the port at 11:00am, parked across the street and was standing with a beer in my hand waiting for the buffet to open at 11:30am.  

Food - Other than a small amount of choices, the food was good.  We had breakfast and dinner in L’Edera each day and night.  Waiters were attentive and friendly.  We did notice a surcharge of $5 for a 2nd entree.  I usually don’t order 2 but I have seen others do it in the past.  Not sure if other lines are doing this but we sailed MSC earlier this year and this case.  

Bar service - never really waited for a drink at any bar and there always seemed to be a waiter available at any lounge we were in.  A couple waiters got to know us and we didn’t need to order our first drink and they were brought to us.  

Ports - First time in Key West and walked to the Southern Most point and shopped our way back.  Since I’m a Parrot Head, stopped at Capt. Tony’s to “get out of the heat” to quote the Last Mango in Paris. Cool place to see.  Ocean Cay was really nice.  Spent the day at Bimini Beach.  Water was a little chilly but crystal clear.  No problem finding chairs.  Had a burger from the food truck and a few drinks from the bar.  

Ship - yes it is on the smaller size and we read all the negative reviews but went with an open mind.  I mean, we’re headed on a cruise, why look for negatives?  We would definitely sail the Magnifica again.  Overall service was really good.  The only problem we had were the pool deck chairs.  To put it mildly, they suck.  The option to have shade attached to the chair was nice but they just weren’t comfortable.  We booked an inside room and picked deck 10.  Typical small room and the cabin steward was good.  

Disembarkation - decided to do the express walkoff.  Was in line at 7:10am and in our vehicle at 7:30am.  

We are Floridians and are used to traffic but the Miami traffic is a different animal all together.  Bumper to bumper no matter where we went the day before.  Went and did the Friends exhibit at the Aventura mall and it took us 25 minutes to go 2 1/2 miles.  All in all and good cruise and can’t wait for our next one in June on NCL.  

• Like 5

On 12/12/2023 at 12:42 AM, JimR24 said:

Overall - no major issues or complaints.  We’re pretty easy going and I just can’t see going on a short vacation and look for things to complain about.  

I'm glad to see your positive review as embarking on Friday, for the same 3 night cruise 🙂

Were there any theme parties on your cruise?   E.g. was there a white night or elegant night?

Yes.  White night was thrown on the 2nd night.  We didn't attend but did see plenty of cruiser dressed in white.  We would definitely cruise the Magnifica again.  Would prefer to go out of Caneveral so we don't have to deal with Miami.  

Doing this itinerary in May with my 13 year old daughter. I haven’t cruised with a kid before, so that’ll be new and I’m nervous about the crowds in Nassau especially. How dressy is the main dining? I’ve only cruised NCL in Alaska where everything was super chill.

I wore shorts and a button down shirt each night at dinner.  Nothing fancy.  Others had jeans and t-shirts.  Super chill is a great description.  We did not go to Nassau on this one.  We did the Keys and Ocean Cay.  Very relaxing overall.  

I am developing a secret plan.  How to get to back to sea and palm trees- Key West, Nassau and Cozumel by ship, as cheaply as possible.  No suites, butlers, or second mortgage.  Low expectations.  We are (I am LOL) non demanding.  Cheap back to backs are a hoot- who else finds "zeroing out" fun?    Celebrity Summit is lovely, is this a cheaper option?  I even saw a library on the deck plan?     

Thanks for your honest review. We are booked on this ship for the first time in February and it’s helpful to read what other first timers felt after cruising MSC. We are long time cruisers, and were looking for a good deal, during a particular week that had to be filled in our FL winter schedule. We opted for a back-to-back so 7 days in total. We are extra laid back cruisers, and just love to be on a ship doing not much of anything, so these little cruises appealed to us. Actually booked a guaranteed cabin (cheapest) and received an email today, that we’ve been upgraded to a balcony for both legs of the journey. We matched our RCCL Diamond + status to receive gold level on MSC. So far MSC is working for us 😉. Looking forward to this experience.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Bill k he said:

Cruising on my own for my 60th. Going on the 19th on magnifica. Looking to meet people upfront any ideas?

see if there is arole call on these boards for your sailing. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your positive review. I'm sailing in one week for a 4 night on this ship for the first time and looking forward to some rest and relaxation. 🙂