Platinum plan no longer available for Canadians?

Curlingwhiz

I just got a call this morning from my CC to let me know that effective tomorrow, Friday Dec 14th, that the Platinum insurance plan (90% reimbursement plus some medical/evacuation) will no longer be available to purchase for Canadians?   Has anyone else heard of this?  Apparently we can purchase and pay for it now for our two scheduled upcoming cruises, but that is it!  Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this...

I think it is because you are from B.C.  Platinum insurance is not available to residents there.

There’s some discussion about this on another thread - 

Worth a read.  I think it will answer your question.  Bennybear’s post and a couple of others are enlightening.

I’m Canadian and have received no such notice.  I don’t live in B.C. 😉 

It's important to remember that insurance is provincially regulated certain insurance products cannot be sold without a license.  If HAL is selling from Seattle (rather than through a travel agent in the buyers' province of residence) there's no way to meet that requirement.

Working through a travel agent, CAA/BCAA or other vendors, you should have access to third party insurance products that will cover the same risks for competitive prices. however.

5 minutes ago, visagrunt said:

It's important to remember that insurance is provincially regulated certain insurance products cannot be sold without a license.  If HAL is selling from Seattle (rather than through a travel agent in the buyers' province of residence) there's no way to meet that requirement.

Working through a travel agent, CAA/BCAA or other vendors, you should have access to third party insurance products that will cover the same risks for competitive prices. however.

Good catch!  It’s because of the medical insurance coverage in the platinum package,  

• Like 1

Thank you Kazu - I have now read some of the other posts about this topic.  It does appear that the Platinum Plan is not available to Canadian residents of BC and Quebec.  My CC when she phoned this morning stated it was not available in the future to all Canadians....

I found it interesting that the two provinces which have been barred from canceling within the 24 hour time period are BC and Quebec - aren't these the two Canadian provinces that have embarkation for HA?  Perhaps this is more of an issue of last minute cancelations from home ports than any insurance issue as the rest of the Canadian residents don't seem to have problems?

Our agent said we had until tomorrow to pay for the Platinum plan on our currently booked trips - at this time we are thinking ... no.

I have to admit I would appreciate a more informed response from HA than just no more BC residents allowed to purchase.  Don't you like us anymore?  :>)

30 minutes ago, Curlingwhiz said:

Our agent said we had until tomorrow to pay for the Platinum plan on our currently booked trips - at this time we are thinking ... no.

I have to admit I would appreciate a more informed response from HA than just no more BC residents allowed to purchase.  Don't you like us anymore?  :>)

I think you have something there. It’s just a guess, but the rate of cancellations in those 2 provinces may be so high that the insurer no longer wants to cover them.  Insurance companies can do that if the risk is too high.