Cruise Line App

aviarybird

It depends entirely on the cruise line, to be completely honest. The functionality of the apps varies wildly. I'd always err on the side of caution and use separate ones, as you never know when something you didn't notice in the Ts and Cs might bite you.

• Like 1

For these kinds of Apps, we register separate accounts, but often use the same password.   We could just sign on whatever device using one account I suppose.   I'm not sure what the advantage might be with one over the other.   

I think it fair to say individuals have separate "frequent cruiser" program numbers.  Maybe registering individually would somehow be tied to that -- I don't know.   

42 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I think it fair to say individuals have separate "frequent cruiser" program numbers.  Maybe registering individually would somehow be tied to that -- I don't know.   

That's actually a point I was considering as well.  If the OP is also referring to loyalty programs (which are typically accessible through a cruise line app), then I agree -  individual accounts and passwords would be recommended as these accounts are typically set up individually as well. But other than that I don't know that it would matter as most cruise line apps are "generic" in nature - and it would then just be personal preference as to how you set yours up.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, leaveitallbehind said:

That's actually a point I was considering as well.  If the OP is also referring to loyalty programs (which are typically accessible through a cruise line app), then I agree -  individual accounts and passwords would be recommended as these accounts are typically set up individually as well. But other than that I don't know that it would matter as most cruise line apps are "generic" in nature - and it would then just be personal preference.

Thanks! Loyalty program was the phrase that totally escaped me.   

If cruise loyalty programs work like the airline's, then registering separate accounts would be wise I think.   

• Like 1

The only app I am even slightly familiar with is Holland America's Navigator, for which I am the sole user. My husband barely uses his cellphone on the ship; it might as well be in the safe. So I am the only one to make or check reservations, look at the menus, or whatever might need to be done. 

Maybe I'm missing something that other lines' apps do? Why would loyalty numbers even come into it?

45 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Maybe I'm missing something that other lines' apps do? Why would loyalty numbers even come into it?

If a cruise line app allows access your loyalty program account, having separate access for individual sign in would be necessary if each account is separate. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

To add to what @leaveitallbehind says about viewing individual loyalty program status, if you register for the loyalty program via the App, then it would be important.  I don't think it happens that way though.   Seems we register for loyalty programs on the cruise line's website regardless of whether we have the App.  

I was kind of just scratching my head when I originally mentioned it.  might have caused more confusion than it was worth.  

Thank you for the feedback.  The specific cruise line I was referring to is Celebrity.  Like crystalspin I tend to manage activity on the app.  but think my wife would want to see information as well.  Just trying to cut down on various log in/passwords to remember by having a single account.  Not overly concerned about 2 accounts for loyalty points.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ldubs said:

To add to what @leaveitallbehind says about viewing individual loyalty program status, if you register for the loyalty program via the App, then it would be important.  I don't think it happens that way though.   Seems we register for loyalty programs on the cruise line's website regardless of whether we have the App.  

I was kind of just scratching my head when I originally mentioned it.  might have caused more confusion than it was worth.  

I agree that I am not familiar with registering for loyalty programs through their cruise lines' apps - that in our experience is done through their website or by phone with the cruise line (or in person on board through the loyalty rep).  My reference was only regarding accessing an account through the app.

Thanks for clarifying.

• Like 1