Sky princess late departure

mrell345

The weather is awful. I was surprised that some of the other ships left, but maybe it's something to do with where Sky is docked? The wind would make turning out to the channel very difficult.

We left the ship today and are staying in Ft Lauderdale - I have never been in wind so strong as it has been this evening.

27 minutes ago, saint_em said:

The weather is awful. I was surprised that some of the other ships left, but maybe it's something to do with where Sky is docked? The wind would make turning out to the channel very difficult.

We left the ship today and are staying in Ft Lauderdale - I have never been in wind so strong as it has been this evening.

I think one reason could be the other ships have azipods while the Sky doesn't have them. One of the other ships that did leave (Symphony) is pretty much on the same line as the Sky as for piers (2 for Sky and 18 for Symphony). Also Caribbean Princess is also taking its time getting back into port for its next cruise starting tomorrow. It's also supposed to be at the same pier that the Sky is at now.

7 hours ago, saint_em said:

The weather is awful. I was surprised that some of the other ships left, but maybe it's something to do with where Sky is docked?

Since they knew they were not going to stop at Princess Cays on Monday, there was no hurry to leave port on any tight schedule, so why bother. They could wait till the wind down down a bit.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, schooner_Drinker said:

We departed just after 2am

Getting banged around at the front of the ship - a lot of juddering and wave smashing

Nancy 🍹

hopefully it will smooth out the further south you get

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, schooner_Drinker said:

We departed just after 2am

Getting banged around at the front of the ship - a lot of juddering and wave smashing

Nancy 🍹

I love that king of sailing. You know you on the ship. 

I'm currently on Island Princess about 1,750 NM out of Ft. Lauderdale halfway from finishing our TA.  We've been told to expect 4-5 meter seas and heavy winds as a storm overtakes us as we head to FLL for arrival on  Thursday morning.  Should be an interesting Monday morning for us on Monday.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, charliedalrymple said:

What is an azipod?

It's an evolution of the main propellers which can allow for better maneuvering. An azipod allows for 360 degree rotation.

Azipods will be on the new Sun and Star.

https://www.businessroundtable.org/archive/inventing-the-future/abb

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azipod

• Like 1