Thermal suite questions

spookylu

I would like to buy a single day pass for my upcoming cruise on the Joy and had some questions:

1. What does the thermal suite typically include? The Joy is actually going into dry dock next month to get the thermal suite put in, so I'm not sure if the Joy's will be exactly the same as the other ships, but typically it would be the sauna, thalassotherapy pool, and loungers, right?

2. How do I buy a single day pass? Can I purchase on the app or will I need to go to the spa when I board?

3. How busy does the thermal suite get? I'm not sure what to expect in terms of crowds. 

Edited by spookylu

I have closely watched information on Joy's dry dock. To date I have not seen that NCL plans to install a thalassotherapy pool. I could be completely and woefully incorrect on that. I doubt NCL releases everything they do in dry dock and this could just be something they're not including.

NCL has stated you'll find a sauna, steam room, ice room, and the lovely loungers. It looks like they're adding some extra features, not found in current thermal suites. Maybe other ships have them in the spa and I'm just not aware of them. 

image.png.194966e3ae18da759d5dd95063f048ce.png

NCL's newsroom website is not working for me, so I had to pull the information off Cruise Critic. Here is a link to the Cruise Critic article (not forum post) that I quoted from above: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/norwegian-cruise-line-announces-extensive-refurbishment-for-norwegian-joy

IF day passes are available, you go to the Mandara Spa desk and purchase the pass. I'm not sure if you can purchase a day ahead or if it must be day of. Keep an eye on the Freestyle Daily for details or just ask the spa staff when you board. 

I've seen the thermal suite so busy that there are no available loungers and I've been the only one in the place. It depends on sea day/port day/time of day/type of cruise you're on. Typically, I've had the most relaxing (quietest/least crowded) days early in the morning and from dinner on. The spa is open 8 AM - 10 PM, closing at 8 PM on the last night of the cruise. My favorite times are 8 - 9:30 AM and 7 - 10 PM. 

Have fun and please tell us how the new thermal suite on Joy is!! 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

IF day passes are available, you go to the Mandara Spa desk and purchase the pass. I'm not sure if you can purchase a day ahead or if it must be day of. Keep an eye on the Freestyle Daily for details or just ask the spa staff when you board. 

Thanks for the great info. As for this part of your post, are you saying that there might not be day passes available? I figured day passes have limited availability, but I wasn't sure if the chances of getting them was "pretty good" or "don't hold your breath".

If it's the latter maybe I should buy the week. 

1 minute ago, spookylu said:

Thanks for the great info. As for this part of your post, are you saying that there might not be day passes available? I figured day passes have limited availability, but I wasn't sure if the chances of getting them was "pretty good" or "don't hold your breath".

If it's the latter maybe I should buy the week. 

Don’t hold your breath

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Don’t hold your breath

@spookylu - I agree with @zqvol. Depending on how many cruise-long passes are sold out, there may be no day passes available. If you do take the chance, you should definitely talk to the spa staff on embarkation day to find out any inside info you can get on the potential availability of day passes. 

FYA - a day pass on Pr1ma, last month, was $99. The 11 day cruise length pass was $349 or $389 (we got it at $349, but it went up two weeks after we purchased it. A weeklong pass will probably be between $220 - $275 on Joy (not sure how much). You may just purchase the weeklong pass as it's better value. 

Just now, cruiseny4life said:

@spookylu - I agree with @zqvol. Depending on how many cruise-long passes are sold out, there may be no day passes available. If you do take the chance, you should definitely talk to the spa staff on embarkation day to find out any inside info you can get on the potential availability of day passes. 

FYA - a day pass on Pr1ma, last month, was $99. The 11 day cruise length pass was $349 or $389 (we got it at $349, but it went up two weeks after we purchased it. A weeklong pass will probably be between $220 - $275 on Joy (not sure how much). You may just purchase the weeklong pass as it's better value. 

I think I probably will.  I appreciate the honest feedback. I'd rather know in advance than be disappointed onboard!

2 hours ago, spookylu said:

I would like to buy a single day pass for my upcoming cruise on the Joy and had some questions:

1. What does the thermal suite typically include? The Joy is actually going into dry dock next month to get the thermal suite put in, so I'm not sure if the Joy's will be exactly the same as the other ships, but typically it would be the sauna, thalassotherapy pool, and loungers, right?

2. How do I buy a single day pass? Can I purchase on the app or will I need to go to the spa when I board?

3. How busy does the thermal suite get? I'm not sure what to expect in terms of crowds. 

1. The Thermal Suite is supposed to be one of the biggest in the fleet. That remains to be seen. 

2. Day passes are sold at the discretion of the Spa and only on slow port days. Don’t expect to get a pass for a sea day. And there have been many cruises where no passes are offered. Since the Joy will be the brand new spa, more than normal will book the week long pass. 

3. Answered on #2. Only sold on slow port days, so it will be quiet while most passengers are ashore. 

• Thanks 1