Newbie Cruise for person who gets mildly seasick

tracyasu

1 hour ago, JudyD0114 said:

I am grateful to see this topic on cruise critic. Up until now, when I would talk about my anxiety concerning seasickness, everyone would poo poo it, or tell me to just not think about it. It is a huge concern for me. We are leaving in 1 month on a Panama Canal cruise from Ft. Lauderdale. I will have the patches. Another big concern is getting sick during the cruise. We read all the time about illnesses going through cruise ships like wildfire, since everyone is in close proximity. Does anyone know if the patches also work for the noroviris? (Stomach flu) Thank you for not laughing at my questions/concerns. 

so I think what you are asking is if the patches prevent nausea from illness. And the answer is no, it’s not an anti-nausea medication. It’s specific to motion sickness 

On 12/29/2023 at 10:35 PM, GeezerCouple said:

My goodness.

I making the assumption that the person IS going to take a cruise.  If no cruise, then... no problem!

Not sure if they know yet how they'll be on a large ship at sea, and of course, a lot depends upon conditions during that cruise...

But *IF* they go on one, then why not have the best chance of making a go of it?
So selecting a cabin with the best chance of having relative calm in their cabin, why not do that?

GC

just saying; as someone who gets severe motion sickness; the absolute best place to be is on deck looking at the horizon. If I’m ever sick enough to hide out in my cabin due to nausea I’ll never cruise again. Motion sickness medications and other precautions like being on deck often and keeping you stomach full work very well.

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

so I think what you are asking is if the patches prevent nausea from illness. And the answer is no, it’s not an anti-nausea medication. It’s specific to motion sickness 

It is used often for post operative nausea. 

The side effect of dry mouth makes sense when you realize it is also frequently used in Hospice patients for excessive oral secretions, also in the throat  (AKA "death rattle")

About the Bermuda/Atlantic ocean cruise mentioned above, I have been on many Bermuda cruises and every one had at least one way that was horrible rough seas, either there or back, almost never both. The only good thing about those if someone does get sick you are in Bermuda for 3 days or so, so at least you are still and can enjoy that part of the vacation.  Although if the rough sea was on the way there, you might not want to get back on the ship to go back home, LOL.

There is of course no guarantee that you will always have calm sea on any body of water but I will say that we just went on a Med Cruise in October and it was the calmest water I have ever seen since I started cruising 30+ years ago. I never felt any movement. Even looking out at the horizon comparing it to the railings, completely even/flat.

On 12/30/2023 at 11:35 AM, GeezerCouple said:

I never knew the reason people kept recommending GREEN apples.

You usually see green apples in the Windjammer.  If you think you're going to want them, go ahead and take a few back to your cabin on the first day; they're going to get more "picked over" as the week goes on.  

On 12/30/2023 at 1:27 PM, YourWorldWithBill said:

Some studies have shown that ginger works better than the medications. My wife and I take pills called Ginger Relief with us, and they are pretty effective, but she still takes a medication if things get too much.

I have an occasional problem with car sickness (and occasional sea sickness on a small boat, like a fishing boat), and I LOVE ginger for its INSTANT relief.  

I recommend Crystalized Ginger, which you can easily make at home -- essentially you just peel it, slice it then, and boil it in sugar water.  I like to cut it into bitty-small pieces and store them in a small Tupperware so I can take a small dose.  Lots of recipes online.  It's also sold at Harris Teeter (in the produce section) under the brand name Sweet Melissa's.  

Another thought:  When my RN daughter was pregnant, she bought Punch-and-Pukes for her, um, vomiting needs.  So handy!  I'll never be without them in my car -- they only cost $10 for 24 -- https://www.amazon.com/FancyStyle-Disposable-Portable-Emesis-Sickness/dp/B0B19Y9VKL/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2LBONAYYXYC98&keywords=punch+and+pukes+throw+up+emesis+bags&qid=1704071837&sprefix=punch+and+pukes+throw+up+emesis+bag%2Caps%2C117&sr=8-2  

On 12/30/2023 at 5:23 PM, edinburgher said:

Had to consult Dr Google, but it appears that green apples are high in PECTIN

Pectin?  That's what you put into jelly /jam to make it "set up".  

Flashback to something I hadn't thought of for a long time.  When I was a child, my grandmother and her sister (a nun, who lived to be 104) taught us kids how to avoid hangovers:  Make Jello in your stomach.  Yes, drink a cup of hot water mixed with a Jello packet, followed by a cup of cold water.  They claimed the Jello would "set up" in your stomach and would "hold everything still", preventing you from throwing up.  

If you accept this -- and I'm not saying I do -- perhaps a Jello Stomach could prevent seasickness?  

Yes, I had an interesting childhood.  Just for the record, I rarely drink --- I figured out early those alcoholic genes are stalking me.  

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Pectin?  That's what you put into jelly /jam to make it "set up".  

Flashback to something I hadn't thought of for a long time.  When I was a child, my grandmother and her sister (a nun, who lived to be 104) taught us kids how to avoid hangovers:  Make Jello in your stomach.  Yes, drink a cup of hot water mixed with a Jello packet, followed by a cup of cold water.  They claimed the Jello would "set up" in your stomach and would "hold everything still", preventing you from throwing up.  

Apples are an excellent source of pectin. It makes up to 20% of the pulp. According to Dr Google, it helps neutralize stomach acid, while the fructose in the apple helps with the nausea.

Theoretically, your Granny's Jello might also work, but not for the reasons she gave. The gelatin in the Jello would likely work to help neutralize the stomach acid, while the sugars in the Jello would work the nausea angle. But Jello in the stomach won't solidify,  due to the stomach acids and enzymes. And it certainly can't inactivate the nerves or muscles of the stomach to prevent the contractions that result in vomiting. 

Adding to my last comment, I know the “patch” cannot prevent Noroviris. I was just wondering if one gets that virus, would the patch help alleviate the symptoms, at least somewhat? So I guess the answer is no. 😞

My next question to the general cruisecritic community….how likely is it that you will catch a virus that’s going around the ship? I know that hand sanitizer doesn’t kill the virus. The only thing that prevents Noroviris is washing your hands w/soap & warm/hot water. Besides washing your hands before touching anything near your face, (eating, rubbing your eyes, etc) & wearing a mask when in any kind of a crowd, what are your suggestions for staying well? I AM taking this cruise, so PLEASE don’t tell me to cancel. We are paying a fortune for this “trip of a lifetime” and want to do everything possible to stay well & enjoy every minute of it. THANK YOU. 

1 hour ago, JudyD0114 said:

Besides washing your hands before touching anything near your face, (eating, rubbing your eyes, etc) & wearing a mask when in any kind of a crowd, what are your suggestions for staying well? 

Washing your hands is not just one of the important thing to do, it is THE thing to do. That is the best way to avoid any contagion, and since you're very concerned about that, as long as you do that regularly you'll be doing the safest thing you can do.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, JudyD0114 said:

Adding to my last comment, I know the “patch” cannot prevent Noroviris. I was just wondering if one gets that virus, would the patch help alleviate the symptoms, at least somewhat? So I guess the answer is no. 😞

My next question to the general cruisecritic community….how likely is it that you will catch a virus that’s going around the ship? I know that hand sanitizer doesn’t kill the virus. The only thing that prevents Noroviris is washing your hands w/soap & warm/hot water. Besides washing your hands before touching anything near your face, (eating, rubbing your eyes, etc) & wearing a mask when in any kind of a crowd, what are your suggestions for staying well? I AM taking this cruise, so PLEASE don’t tell me to cancel. We are paying a fortune for this “trip of a lifetime” and want to do everything possible to stay well & enjoy every minute of it. THANK YOU. 

I've only caught a Norovirus like illness once and it was on an incredibly small boat - 12 cabins, in the Galapagos. It made its way through the entire ship, but we also ate every meal together and did every excusion together. I don't really worry about catching Noro on a cruise. 

I catch colds on cruises frequently. Anything that is airborne is pretty easy to catch if people are coughing around you.  Assuming you are up to date on vaccinations (flu, covid, etc) and not immune-compromised; it's not a huge deal. 

Edited by sanger727

On 12/31/2023 at 10:31 AM, lynncarol said:

The bigger ships are more stabile as are cabins in the midship.  Also, NEVER take your first cruise on anything that goes out into the Atlantic.

It's true that a cruise ship is more stable than a fishing boat or ferry. I'm not convinced that there is much difference once ships are large enough to have stabilizers. I've mostly cruised on small (100 to 350 passenger) ships, but I've been on larger ships a few times and haven't noticed a difference. 

I've crossed the Atlantic, the Pacific and the Tasmanian sea on small ships - the Tasmanian was a bit rough - it's known for it, but not that bad. Only some of the last day of sailing getting into Lisbon was rough. For most of the crossing, the captain was able to choose a path avoiding the rough bits.

• Like 1