Pre cruise and port excursion planning advice

EP23

Hello everyone,

I am planing a 2024 July to Aug alaska trip for the family.

We can arrive midnight on sunday July 28. Will rent a car. So far confirmed 4 people (may add 2 more), me, paralyzed husband on wheelchair (foldable, will bring power and manual), mother and father in law (both age 70 +). Into seeing wildlife and nature. Not into mine or museum, But mother in law would like to see totem.

I have done some survey and research of what the family want to do.

1. Denali nation park.

2. Train ride ( we will be driving the Turnagain and to wildlife center, so the train ride from anchorage to Whitter may not be as "WOW" since we will be driving there once already, any other route for suggestion? - Our port is Icy strait point, Juneau, Ketchikan, ***NO Skagway)

3. Land Tour (preferred), boat tour or flight tour to see bears catching fishs, glaciers, marine wildlife (budget $400, saw some cheapest for bear viewing by boat one ask for $675)

I have researched some locations so am familiar with areas such as Plamer. But have not been looking at Homer or Seward area yet. So would like to know for a 5 and half day pre cruise land trip (which includes drive all the way up to Denali - mostly will eat up at least 2.5 days there), dose anyone have suggestions of where to take a train ride and tour (self or guided, Land preferred due to disability) to see animal beside of Denali park?

Thank you in advance.

I have other suggested NOT to go to homer or Seward location due to time restrictions and have disabled family that may take even longer time for transmute. Thought about that ?

First of all, I suggest you go to the Alaska board for ideas. That will be more specific for you. Secondly, if you have not already reserved your car rental, DO IT NOW!!! It is very expensive IF you can find one to rent. Alaska is very much in demand for land tours and the supply and demand prices and availability reflect that.

@EP23 - Welcome to cruise critic! 

@nini's advice is very good.  Since you are new to cruise critic you may not yet have found all the various sources of information.  The home page (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/) lists all the different boards.  If you haven't found it yet, the Alaska board is https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/33-alaska/.

Good luck with your planning and I hope you have a wonderful trip!

I am very new to this forum. Didn’t realize there is an Alaska page of this. Will definitely post it there as well. Thank you for the suggestion. 

1 hour ago, EP23 said:

I am very new to this forum. Didn’t realize there is an Alaska page of this. Will definitely post it there as well. Thank you for the suggestion. 

Also, you might join your Roll Call for your cruise. You can chat a out shore excursions, etc.

There is also a forum for disabled cruise travel that might prove helpful for you & your paralyzed husband - Disabled Cruise Travel Cruises: Ask a Question - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums.  Hopefully you reserved an accessible cabin they make life much easier when you have someone with a disability.  Have a wonderful time!