Expedition cruise - availability of snorkel equipment onboard?

BillK400

We are booked on an expedition cruise (the Pursuit) in May to Papua New Guinea and snorkeling is one of the included activities. I could not find on the Seabourn site if snorkel gear (mask, fins, snorkel) are provided/available onboard or if you need to bring your own equipment. I sure hope it's provided as bringing our own equipment will be a pain.  Has anyone experienced snorkeling on one of the expedition ships?

Bill

Given that they had BCDs for scuba diving on the Encore when we were on it last summer (saw them hanging up on the marina day...didn't get to use them), I'd be shocked if they don't have appropriate gear stored away. I will say that I have a strong preference for my own mask and snorkel and they are easy enough to travel with...it's just fins I would borrow.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, markandjie said:

Given that they had BCDs for scuba diving on the Encore when we were on it last summer (saw them hanging up on the marina day...didn't get to use them), I'd be shocked if they don't have appropriate gear stored away. I will say that I have a strong preference for my own mask and snorkel and they are easy enough to travel with...it's just fins I would borrow.

We have our own gear but sure hope we don't need to bring fins! (as you stated) 

18 hours ago, markandjie said:

I was told by Juan Carlo (Expedition leader on Pursuit) that the Pursuit and Venture would not provide BCDs, only weights and air tanks (no Nitrox). 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fitstylist55 said:

I was told by Juan Carlo (Expedition leader on Pursuit) that the Pursuit and Venture would not provide BCDs, only weights and air tanks (no Nitrox). 

Was snorkel gear available onboard (I realize on an Antarctic trip there probably was much snorkeling!)

Thanks

2 hours ago, BillK400 said:

Was snorkel gear available onboard (I realize on an Antarctic trip there probably was much snorkeling!)

Thanks

It has always been available on regular cruises when at the right beach ports.  I can't speak about the expedition cruises since we haven't been yet, but I would be surprised if it weren't available. 

• Like 1

Not an expedition ship but in the same geographic area.  On Sojourn last year, there was snorkel equipment available from the ship.  We brought our own because I'm a difficult fit for a mask and my husband is a difficult fit for fins.  He also likes to wear a flotation belt because he's not a strong swimmer.  Yes, it's a pain to bring your own but in my mind, that's why we have it.  No, we're not thinking  these excursions are an extensive snorkel trip but even short excursions are a pain if nothing fits.  At the Great Barrier Reef, we were given stinger suits (Very attractive) and flotatons vests to wear and I was really glad we got the vests because the water was extremely choppy.  So if you are on an excursion, some equipment might also come from the tour operator.   

• Like 1