Alaska Niew Amsterdam or Noordam- South Bound or North Bound

Parissa

•  
  • 15 minutes ago
  • Atlanta
Hi,

This will be my 1st time on HAL Alaska cruise.  Booking a 7 day Glacier cruise and planning on spending couple days in Anchorage either on the front end or back end.   Sailing that are offered on my ideal week are Northbound on NA  or Southbound on Noordam, however I'm somewhat flexible on which week I choose!  So my question is, should I book the cruise based on the North or Southbound trip or book it based on the ship preference?   South bound on Noordam or Northbound on Nieuw Amsterdam?  Any anyone done either? would really appreciate your thoughts .Thank you

My preference is to do land touring prior to ship touring for a few reasons:

1.  If you are delayed getting there you don't miss the  ship

2.  You can board ship with dirty laundry and get it done on the ship easily and at a reasonable cost (free 4 star and up).  Harder to do laundry ashore in most cases.

3.  You can relax a bit more on the ship than ashore (IMO)

As for ships, other than Tamarind, no real differences.  Noordam has more suites than NA, so the opportunity for upsell is a bit better.  NA can feel a tiny bit more crowded as public spaces close to the same, but about 200 more passengers.  

Just my thoughts.  

4 hours ago, Parissa said:

•  
  • 15 minutes ago
  • Atlanta

Hi,

This will be my 1st time on HAL Alaska cruise.  Booking a 7 day Glacier cruise and planning on spending couple days in Anchorage either on the front end or back end.   Sailing that are offered on my ideal week are Northbound on NA  or Southbound on Noordam, however I'm somewhat flexible on which week I choose!  So my question is, should I book the cruise based on the North or Southbound trip or book it based on the ship preference?   South bound on Noordam or Northbound on Nieuw Amsterdam?  Any anyone done either? would really appreciate your thoughts .Thank you

Welcome to cruise critic.

You will find lots of opinions on north/south on the Alaska Board. Here is the link.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/33-alaska/