Ireland port info

I googled all of the port stops on an upcoming cruise and found the below info. Does this look right?  The cruise itinerary only lists Waterford and Dublin as tenders which seems odd.

Waterford - tender / transport needed to town

Belfast - dock / transport needed

Killybegs - dock / walkable

Galway - dock / walkable

Dingle - tender / walkable

Dublin - tender / transport needed 

Cork - tender / transport needed

5 hours ago, Roonil_Wazlib said:

Dublin - tender / transport needed 

If the itinerary says Dublin tender then you are stopping in Dun Laoghaire, which is about 30 minutes south of Dublin city.  You can take a local train from the station right at the tender docking area.

5 hours ago, Roonil_Wazlib said:

Cork - tender / transport needed

I have not heard of any cruise ship requiring a tender in Cork.  You will dock in either Cobh, which is just east of Cork city and again there is a local train station right at the dock.  Or you will dock in Ringaskiddy, which is no where close to anything.  Last season there were buses provided sometimes by the cruise line and sometimes by the port.  It is a commercial port and taxis were not permitted inside the port area, nor were passengers permitted to walk in the dock area.

What ship and date are you travelling?

• Like 1

NCL Star, May 8-18.  You’re right with your port details, I listed the main town from the itinerary, not the port that they listed in parentheses. Sorry for not being precise. Here’s a screenshot.  And thanks for your responses.

IMG_1072.jpeg

Although some cruise ships dock at an industrial port about 5 miles from Waterford I think it is more likely that you will anchor in Dunmore East and tender ashore.  Usually there are shuttles to Waterford City, as Dunmore is a small town with little to see or do.

Also, I believe that NCL Star will be at anchor in Killybegs and tenders will be used.

Dingle will probably be tender.  

Dun Laoghaire is definitely a tender port.  The train station is just where the tenders come ashore for a trip into Dublin.  Pre purchase the Visitor Leap card (it will be mailed to you) to use on the train and buses.  Will save you a lot of time when others are trying to purchase tickets.

Cobh is docked.  The train station is just beside the dock and trains run every 30 minutes into Cork city.  Cobh is a lovely little town itself.  Interesting cathedral or a trip out to Spike Island among some things to do in the town.

• Thanks 1