Juneau best tours

cusematt4

Hi all - we are very excited for our first ever cruise to Alaska.  We range in age from 30-70.

I've been doing a lot of research on ports and in particular Junuau on these boards.  I don't see anything that clearly stands out.

Is whale watching really worth it?  Is there anything else better there?

If whale watching is worthwhile, we are debating between Harv and Marv's and Jayleen's.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

Also, Harv and Marv's would end at 3:15 with the boat departing at 4pm.  They do guarantee our arrival and say that they have never had an issue, but is this indeed safe to do?

Thanks!

Whale watching is an excellent choice for Juneau - you are guaranteed to see whales and it is a much better opportunity to see them from a smaller vessel then the passing glances you might get from your ship. Small companies do offer great options, and the two you mention are both well reviewed here.

However, I would really hesitate book an excursion that ends at 3:15 when your ship departure time is 4 p.m. I believe any reputable vendor would discourage you from that tight of timeframe. Your all aboard time will be 3:30 p.m., and depending on where your tour departs, which in general for these trips is Auke Bay, it is bit of drive from the port, so you have to allow adequate transit time.

I would suggest you look for a tour that gets you back earlier.

Both of these vendors are reputable and will most definitely return you to your ship on time.  That is their job!  They will ask for your ship name and will reference your ship's schedule when booking with them.

Both of those whale watching tours have rave reviews and will get you back to the ship in time (assuming they know the ship you are on and your departure time). They often ask what ship you are on when you book.

Edited by Coral

• 4 weeks later...