Taking a getaway on the Breakaway - Almost live, maybe....

G-DawgMN

11 hours ago, mjmagee said:

Did you do self assist disembark? What did you do with your luggage when you went to the dining room? Can you leave your bags in your room, go eat and then get them and leave?  Thx.  Marilyn

No, we checked our luggage. We had a carryon suitcase that we took with us and set to the side. Other people did bring their full luggage and stuck in the corners around the outside of the dining room.

They want you out of the room as soon as possible so they can clean, so you can't leave luggage in it.

13 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I'm also sorry the steak wasn't up to snuff at Moderno. I ate there back in November on the Breakaway and it was delicious, especially the filet mignon. Tender as can be. Moderno is probably my 2nd favorite restaurant on NCL, after La Cucina.

The filet was very good. Also the pork tenderloin. 

My personal favorites are Le Bistro (wife prefers Cagney's), then Cagney's, Los Lobos, and then La Cucina.

• Like 1

Some parting thoughts about the cruise.

Room: We were in 8401 which is about as far forward as you can get.

Pros: Same level as a lot of the bars/food choices, easy to jump to 6,7,8. Also same level as promenade so easy to get out on deck and relax in the AM.

Very low traffic area since there's only a few rooms on the bow after our room.

Cons: Small because it's an inside. Wife didn't like that there were no real shelves for her "stuff" at the desk area. She normally gets ready there but had to do it in the bathroom. I know there's some storage on the side but it didn't work for her.

Lots of noise when docking. I expected some thruster noise/vibration but it sounds like there's a motor for the ropes right below the room. One day it sounded like it broke because it was clanking and making crashing noises.

Daily housekeeping doesn't work well for us. I wish they'd give you a time range, or even better give you an AM or PM cleaning option. Our room was "usually" done after 4PM, but a cpl times it was done earlier in the afternoon. We normally avoided mid-day naps because we were worried we'd miss the cleaning time. Our housekeeping did a good job, but he was incredibly busy with all the rooms he had.

Food: Overall very good, I think I covered all the meals previously. MDR and specialties were all really good. Moderno was the only real disappointment, but it still had good parts.

Service: Overall staff was great, the majority of the staff we interacted with were cheerful and extremely helpful. There were a cpl that weren't over the top pleasant, but we had no negative experiences. Big shout out to the guys working the Prime Meridian bar, we spent time there every night because it was the only bar you could typically get a seat in. They were friendly and did a fantastic job keeping up with all the drink orders.

Entertainment: Huge letdown this trip. Wheel of Fortune is not a replacement for Six. There was one night that the theater wasn't even used. Syd Normans band sounded fantastic (we stood out on deck a cpl times to listen, they pipe the music out there), but you would have to stand in line for an hour plus to get a seat inside. I'm not sure why they couldn't put them in the theater a time or two like the Beatles do on other ships.

Comedians were both very good, they did a few days in the theater which was great. Burn the Floor only played the last two nights and we skipped that, but I'm sure it was good.

They had the usual stuff during the day like trivia and dance lessons, so those are options for people that enjoy those things.

As I type this out, I think the big problem is they were putting entertainment in the small venues which fill up quickly instead of using the theater. Deal or No Deal is entertaining to watch on a sea day, but not in a crowded atrium, why not use the empty theater?

Overall we really enjoyed the cruise though, we had great activities at the ports which is really what the trip was about. We'll probably do an inside again with the right itinerary, but I still like my balconies.

Thanks for following along on this trip. Our next cruise in on MSC in the Yacht Club in November. Ironically it's in an inside room, but in the YC complex so the outdoors and bar are just steps away. I'll probably do a live feed of that one also.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, KSSS2013 said:

Thanks for following along on this trip. Our next cruise in on MSC in the Yacht Club in November. Ironically it's in an inside room, but in the YC complex so the outdoors and bar are just steps away. I'll probably do a live feed of that one also.

Thanks for your review! It was so fun to follow along - I know that sounds silly, but living vicariously through a warm and not snowy winter!

I'm hopeful you'll post a review on the MSC boards. We're looking more and more and more at MSC. All the reviews here, some YouTube reviews, and me just wanting to try something different. I haven't convinced he who hits the book button, but I'm convinced.

See ya around the boards!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Thanks for your review! It was so fun to follow along - I know that sounds silly, but living vicariously through a warm and not snowy winter!

I'm hopeful you'll post a review on the MSC boards. We're looking more and more and more at MSC. All the reviews here, some YouTube reviews, and me just wanting to try something different. I haven't convinced he who hits the book button, but I'm convinced.

See ya around the boards!

We've done MSC twice. For the price it's an amazing value.

Our first one we did an normal inside room. We disliked the seating with others fixed dining setup, and thought the food was just ok. It was a little harder to order or change things when you're seated in a group. The entertainment was just lame, but the ship was amazing.

Second time was at the tail end of Covid and we had the Yacht Club. Entertainment was a little better....the ship was a ghost town, we had 45 people in the YC. Food was amazing (they change the menu daily for lunch/dinner).

This next time we're doing a YC interior since it was only 3k to get that experience. It's an incredible value. We've also looked at MSC for Europe, but we know that will be a very different experience.