Taking a getaway on the Breakaway - Almost live, maybe....

G-DawgMN

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: . . When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

G-DawgMN was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

I'm going to do my best to do a live review but live and margheritas may get in the way.

We booked this cruise (Wife and myself) over a year ago, for us it was a steal, inside room (boo), Free at Sea including BOGO airfare. With the military discount it came out to $2100 which I think is a great value. The travel agent also tossed in $50 OBC and paid the DSC. Just like our Epic cruise last year this will be over our anniversary.

Now we all worry about our "free" flights that NCL booked but we are two for two on great flights. We did a 2 day deviation going in and we have direct flights through Delta for both. I looked up the flight cost after we got confirmation and they would have cost us $1100.00 per person to book on our own for the same flights. Not bad for the $278.00 that NCL charged us. I also was able to do a low cost upgrade to First Class for the leg out a few weeks ago so we'll be riding in style for at least the flight down.

Back to the cruise details, it's the typical Western Caribbean Cruise which includes a stop at Harvest Caye. We've been to all the other ports several times, but it will be our first visit to Harvest Caye.

image.png.43cc5537ad87917c15dd0b98c5dcd5f2.png

All the ports have nice long days, Costa Maya did get cut short but we'll survive. Since this trip is also to celebrate our anniversary I went a little nicer for some of our excursions. The Beach Day Casitas at Mr. Sanchos are pretty new so I didn't see a lot of information on them yet, but they seem like they'll be a lot quieter than hanging out with the masses on the beach.

I really struggled with the $$ for the Luxury Beach Villa on Harvest Caye, especially since no food is included, but that day is our anniversary so I wanted it to be nice.

Cozumel 8-5 – Mr. Sanchos Beach Day Casita

Roatan 8-5 – Victor Bodden transport, day at Infinity Bay Resort

Harvest Caye 8-4:30 – Luxury Beach Villa

Costa Maya – 7-3 – Jamie’s at Blue Reef

Now down to the travel details, we'll be staying in Bloomington MN tonight so we're close to the airport for our flight tomorrow AM. We live about 90 minutes from the Cities so it's our tradition to go down the night before to enjoy hanging out at the MOA and having a relaxing evening. 

Plans for Friday are to catch our flight to New Orleans and enjoy a nice lunch at 30,000+ feet. I snagged a great deal using points at the Waldorf Astoria in New Orleans and they were nice enough to arrange a driver to meet us at the airport for a price. I'm looking forward to my wife being surprised when the driver meets us at luggage claim. It looks like a rainy couple of days in New Orleans so we have alternate plans for things to see Friday and Saturday.

Sunday we will probably head to the ship early, it's our normal tradition to try and get onboard right away and have a nice quiet lunch in the MDR. I've heard the port at New Orleans can be crowded so we may make an exception and hold off until 1 or so, I would think the crowds would die down by then, but we haven't decided.

Onboard the only entertainment able to be reserved was Burn the Floor. Six has it's last show on the cruise that's going on now, it looks like Wheel of Fortune will probably be replacing it (for our convenience). We're trying out an inside room on Deck 8 this cruise. I've only done an inside room on the Dawn with NCL and hated it. I like to be able to chill our on the balcony or on a couch in the morning when my wife gets ready and wind down in the evening. NCL's inside rooms don't allow this, so I'm hoping I can just walk down the hall and find a seat out on deck or in one of the bars that's close by.

Food-wise we have our 2 Sapphire dinners and 1 Free at Sea. I also purchased the 2 dining upgrade, so we have a total of 5 specialties this trip. This is what's reserved so far:

Day 1 – Ocean Blue

Day 2 – Cagney’s

Day 5 – Cagney’s (Anniversary Dinner)

Day 6 – Le Bistro

Day 7 – La Cucina or Moderno

That's all I have for now, the rest of the posts won't be as verbose since I'll be on my phone, but we're excited to have another amazing cruise!

• Like 8

Out two last cruises were on Breakaway from NOLA.

in 2022, we arrived at the port about 0930 and had a very unhappy experience waiting in the security line for over an hour.  We didn't board  until well after 1100.

In 2023, we arrived at the port about 1100.  We moved quickly through the almost non-existant lines and boarded about 1130.

The 2022 experience could have been directly related to COVID.  We had to show our vaccination cards, our boarding passes, and our ID three times while in the security line.  

7 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Out two last cruises were on Breakaway from NOLA.

in 2022, we arrived at the port about 0930 and had a very unhappy experience waiting in the security line for over an hour.  We didn't board  until well after 1100.

In 2023, we arrived at the port about 1100.  We moved quickly through the almost non-existant lines and boarded about 1130.

Thanks, I thought it was interesting that the earliest check-in time was 10:30. Normally it's 9:30 or even 9:00 at other ports. We still get excited to go on a cruise so I'd rather stand around in the terminal than sit in a hotel waiting.

43 minutes ago, KSSS2013 said:

I'm going to do my best to do a live review but live and margheritas may get in the way.

We booked this cruise (Wife and myself) over a year ago, for us it was a steal, inside room (boo), Free at Sea including BOGO airfare. With the military discount it came out to $2100 which I think is a great value. The travel agent also tossed in $50 OBC and paid the DSC. Just like our Epic cruise last year this will be over our anniversary.

Now we all worry about our "free" flights that NCL booked but we are two for two on great flights. We did a 2 day deviation going in and we have direct flights through Delta for both. I looked up the flight cost after we got confirmation and they would have cost us $1100.00 per person to book on our own for the same flights. Not bad for the $278.00 that NCL charged us. I also was able to do a low cost upgrade to First Class for the leg out a few weeks ago so we'll be riding in style for at least the flight down.

Back to the cruise details, it's the typical Western Caribbean Cruise which includes a stop at Harvest Caye. We've been to all the other ports several times, but it will be our first visit to Harvest Caye.

image.png.43cc5537ad87917c15dd0b98c5dcd5f2.png

All the ports have nice long days, Costa Maya did get cut short but we'll survive. Since this trip is also to celebrate our anniversary I went a little nicer for some of our excursions. The Beach Day Casitas at Mr. Sanchos are pretty new so I didn't see a lot of information on them yet, but they seem like they'll be a lot quieter than hanging out with the masses on the beach.

I really struggled with the $$ for the Luxury Beach Villa on Harvest Caye, especially since no food is included, but that day is our anniversary so I wanted it to be nice.

Cozumel 8-5 – Mr. Sanchos Beach Day Casita

Roatan 8-5 – Victor Bodden transport, day at Infinity Bay Resort

Harvest Caye 8-4:30 – Luxury Beach Villa

Costa Maya – 7-3 – Jamie’s at Blue Reef

Now down to the travel details, we'll be staying in Bloomington MN tonight so we're close to the airport for our flight tomorrow AM. We live about 90 minutes from the Cities so it's our tradition to go down the night before to enjoy hanging out at the MOA and having a relaxing evening. 

Plans for Friday are to catch our flight to New Orleans and enjoy a nice lunch at 30,000+ feet. I snagged a great deal using points at the Waldorf Astoria in New Orleans and they were nice enough to arrange a driver to meet us at the airport for a price. I'm looking forward to my wife being surprised when the driver meets us at luggage claim. It looks like a rainy couple of days in New Orleans so we have alternate plans for things to see Friday and Saturday.

Sunday we will probably head to the ship early, it's our normal tradition to try and get onboard right away and have a nice quiet lunch in the MDR. I've heard the port at New Orleans can be crowded so we may make an exception and hold off until 1 or so, I would think the crowds would die down by then, but we haven't decided.

Onboard the only entertainment able to be reserved was Burn the Floor. Six has it's last show on the cruise that's going on now, it looks like Wheel of Fortune will probably be replacing it (for our convenience). We're trying out an inside room on Deck 8 this cruise. I've only done an inside room on the Dawn with NCL and hated it. I like to be able to chill our on the balcony or on a couch in the morning when my wife gets ready and wind down in the evening. NCL's inside rooms don't allow this, so I'm hoping I can just walk down the hall and find a seat out on deck or in one of the bars that's close by.

Food-wise we have our 2 Sapphire dinners and 1 Free at Sea. I also purchased the 2 dining upgrade, so we have a total of 5 specialties this trip. This is what's reserved so far:

Day 1 – Ocean Blue

Day 2 – Cagney’s

Day 5 – Cagney’s (Anniversary Dinner)

Day 6 – Le Bistro

Day 7 – La Cucina or Moderno

That's all I have for now, the rest of the posts won't be as verbose since I'll be on my phone, but we're excited to have another amazing cruise!

Looking forward to your review as I’ll be on the Breakaway in March.

Having cruised on the Breakaway and the Getaway out of New Orleans several times I think the slightly later arrival time works better. The problem with earlier times being you are fighting through the departing crowds to enter the building. Long lines through security to get to check in. The waiting area is not large and fills quickly. The time we arrived around 11am we didn’t have to deal with any of those issues and pretty much walked right on the ship after checking in.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, KSSS2013 said:

Thanks, I thought it was interesting that the earliest check-in time was 10:30. Normally it's 9:30 or even 9:00 at other ports. We still get excited to go on a cruise so I'd rather stand around in the terminal than sit in a hotel waiting.

The earlier take in times prior to 1030 may have already been taken.

The problme is the waiting area for NOLA is small.  You may in fact wind up standing.  If you do find seats, they will be in hard plastic chairs.

Still, I can empathize with you.  When we first started cruising, we arrived at the terminal before the doors opened.  Now, we're older and prefer to wait in a comfortable hotel room.  Essentially, you don't get on board much earlier.  

• Like 1

Just now, RocketMan275 said:

The earlier take in times prior to 1030 may have already been taken.

I checked in at 12:00 Eastern. Also others in our FB group reported that's the earliest they could get. We all know that nobody ever pays attention to them. 

Just now, KSSS2013 said:

I checked in at 12:00 Eastern. Also others in our FB group reported that's the earliest they could get. We all know that nobody ever pays attention to them. 

Was that on the first day you could do online checkin?

I look forward to these Lives and reviews of the Breakaway as I have my first NCL cruise upcoming in December. Fortunately it leaves from Miami since it seems like NOLA is a bit of a cluster

Look forward to hearing about your amazing experience! 

Quick update. 

We flew out Friday morning for about a 3 hour flight. We did have first class and enjoyed a lunch of some meatballs over polenta. Turbulence got really bad the latter half so everyone strapped in until landing. 

image.thumb.png.923865c7eacfd02e0ae75023bf86a913.png
  The hotel arranged a driver to pick us up at the airport so we had a nice ride to the Waldorf Astoria. I used points for the room and we were upgraded into a 1 bedroom luxury suite which is very nice. 
image.thumb.jpeg.d0d8d5f853c3cec2ff3b23fb56699aa3.jpeg

We had a fantastic dinner at GW Fins then walked around Bourbon Street before heading to bed. We were surprised that it wasn’t overly crowded, but it was early in the evening.  I did get a couple of Hand Grenades and they are extremely potent.
image.thumb.jpeg.b818702f4d812f1afcaa50e81958f71d.jpeg

We got up today and had breakfast at the hotel. We had a tour of Cemetary #1 in the morning and then walked around the quarter until this afternoon. Dinner is still open. We plan to head to the port around 11 or so tomorrow. 
image.thumb.jpeg.598bbff761a4735a206d4b11758293f0.jpeg

• Like 3

Looks like the Breakaway made it back to New Orleans. Going to have a nice leisurely breakfast and try to wait until around 11 or so to head over. Hopefully we will avoid some crowds that way. 

image.png.52322a305ce7c75818d44f016e4294e9.png

• Like 3

18 hours ago, KSSS2013 said:

Quick update. 

We flew out Friday morning for about a 3 hour flight. We did have first class and enjoyed a lunch of some meatballs over polenta. Turbulence got really bad the latter half so everyone strapped in until landing. 

image.thumb.png.923865c7eacfd02e0ae75023bf86a913.png
  The hotel arranged a driver to pick us up at the airport so we had a nice ride to the Waldorf Astoria. I used points for the room and we were upgraded into a 1 bedroom luxury suite which is very nice. 
image.thumb.jpeg.d0d8d5f853c3cec2ff3b23fb56699aa3.jpeg

We had a fantastic dinner at GW Fins then walked around Bourbon Street before heading to bed. We were surprised that it wasn’t overly crowded, but it was early in the evening.  I did get a couple of Hand Grenades and they are extremely potent.
image.thumb.jpeg.b818702f4d812f1afcaa50e81958f71d.jpeg

We got up today and had breakfast at the hotel. We had a tour of Cemetary #1 in the morning and then walked around the quarter until this afternoon. Dinner is still open. We plan to head to the port around 11 or so tomorrow. 
image.thumb.jpeg.598bbff761a4735a206d4b11758293f0.jpeg

Stayed at the Waldorf Astoria back in the early 90's when it was the Fairmount.  We had our annual Fraternity meeting there and we had access to the Presidential Suite that Bill Clinton had stayed in just a week or two before.  It's a beautiful hotel and a perfect location for NOLA.

We are on the Breakaway in April out of MIA.  

Edited by jimsig

Normally we go to the port early and just wait. We decided to hold back a little and came at 11. We could hear them call boarding group 3 as we walked in. 
  Time from security to walking on the ship was about 10 minutes. Since we are Sapphire we could skip the boarding groups and walk on. 
   Went to Taste for lunch. Ordered the wedge salad and the pork chop for lunch. The salad was fine, but the pork chop was really overcooked and didn’t have any chimichurri sauce. Dessert was the orange chocolate mousse. 

image.thumb.jpeg.956f27a013229bbe243ef552d06369c0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b2f191dcaed1e8cfab38d1b069fa7842.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by KSSS2013
A
  • Like 1

After lunch my wife wanted some ice cream and I wanted second lunch. The buffet was crowded but we easily found a seat. 
 All the food looked pretty good. I snagged some ginger beef and a piece of pepperoni pizza. The pizza was surprisingly good. IMG_6047.thumb.jpeg.928a4b0a8a53acb93d1552ef47cabeba.jpeg

• Like 2

After lunch we walked around a little. It’s pretty chilly out so hanging out on the pool deck wasn’t appealing. We headed down to deck 8 but Maltings and Shakers were full. Shakers also had really loud music. 
 We headed back to the Prime Meridian bar by Cagney and Moderno and found some comfy seats. 

Prime Meridian bar. 
IMG_6048.thumb.jpeg.e80c1127f63ed8a20c8144f9f8a10712.jpeg

Moderno

IMG_6049.thumb.jpeg.48784d48312b1c75ec4427ed3c32aa72.jpeg 

Cagneys. 

IMG_6050.thumb.jpeg.6736b2bc765c661efaca12715f969956.jpegIMG_6051.thumb.jpeg.e87ac4ef38e4617f50f79503fb89ee85.jpeg

The Manhattan Room. 

IMG_6052.thumb.jpeg.6f9000b8f4b637be5d73f8931af8c58c.jpeg

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, KSSS2013 said:

Normally we go to the port early and just wait. We decided to hold back a little and came at 11. We could hear them call boarding group 3 as we walked in. 
  Time from security to walking on the ship was about 10 minutes. Since we are Sapphire we could skip the boarding groups and walk on. 
   Went to Taste for lunch. Ordered the wedge salad and the pork chop for lunch. The salad was fine, but the pork chop was really overcooked and didn’t have any chimichurri sauce. Dessert was the orange chocolate mousse. 

image.thumb.jpeg.956f27a013229bbe243ef552d06369c0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b2f191dcaed1e8cfab38d1b069fa7842.jpeg

image.jpeg

I’m glad that waiting till 11am resulted in a short wait for you. Enjoy your cruise!