Norwegian Cruise Line Cruise Next Program Buyer Beware

This was a short get away for Christmas Week and to celebrate a birthday. My complaint is with NCL’s Cruise Next Desk. I received a circular offering $100 on board credit for payment of $250 for a future stateroom deposit. I took the circular to the Cruise Next Desk and told the gentleman that is what I wanted to purchase. I had to listen to his spiel about how often I cruise and the room categories I travel in and then he tried to sell me $1000 of future deposits. I told him I only wanted to pay $250 and get the $100 on board credit for this trip. When I later checked my account, I found that I had been charged $500 and given $250 back. The result would be NCL keeps my $250 until I decide to book a future cruise and I get no actual credit for the expenses of this trip. I went down to the Cruise Next Desk to complain about the overcharge and the person immediately tried to talk about things other than refunding the $250 overcharge. When I insisted on getting both the extra $250 off my account and getting the $100 immediate on board credit, the salesman went to the back office to bring out the boss. Any legitimate business would immediately apologize for an overcharge and readily refund the amount overcharged, but that is not NCL’s policy. The Cruise Next Desk boss insisted that keeping the $250 with NCL to get $500 in future stateroom deposits was the only logical way “to get the most for my money.” He insisted that I explain to him why I did not want pay the full $250. He insinuated that I was the village idiot for wanting the immediate $100 on board credit. It was evident that the original salesman had not made a mistake but that is Cruise Next Desk policy to upsell the deposits so that NCL keeps all the money. Thinking back to my February 2023 cruise on the Jade, the Cruise Next Desk did exactly the same thing- substituted my request for one $250 future deposit for two. When I inquired as to why I was charged $500 (crediting back $250) instead of only charging me the $250 I requested, I got the song and dance of the benefit of leaving $250 with NCL to get $500 in future deposits. Having no other cruise plans in mind at the time, I let them keep the $250 and used it for this December trip on Bliss. I was extremely upset by having this shell game imposed on me a second time, when I specifically requested the one $250 deposit and to be confronted with a demand that I explain the logic of my decision, when I pointed out that I was sold something that I did not want. Based on the refusal of the boss to apologize for the improper charge, and his demand that I explain why I didn’t want to spend more, it is obvious that overcharging guests is a company policy, which I think is fraudulent. If a local business practiced that deception, the consumer protection division of the District Attorney’s office would charge the company with fraud. As an aside, I am not new to cruising. I cruise 2-3 times per year and have 3 cruises booked in each 2024 and 2025 with companies other than NCL. This is by way of explanation that I had no interest in leaving the full $250 with NCL for at least 3 years. I write this to warn others to beware. This interaction with the Cruise Next Desk is my only criticism of my voyage. The Bliss is an outstanding vessel- great design, wonderful crew and very good food.

On 1/27/2024 at 12:02 PM, brzymom said:

Did you get the $100 shipboard credit? 

It sounds like the Cruise Next desk sold the OP 2 future credits for $500 and the OP received $250 in OBC which left a net of $250 due. I have read about this before from other cruisers.

4 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

It sounds like the Cruise Next desk sold the OP 2 future credits for $500 and the OP received $250 in OBC which left a net of $250 due. I have read about this before from other cruisers.

Ahhh now I get it. Thanks for clarifying. 

2 minutes ago, brzymom said:

Ahhh now I get it. Thanks for clarifying. 

If you only wanted one credit though that is what you should have gotten. One for $250 with $100 OBC leaving a net of $150.