Icon - Gluten Free Windjammer - pictures/video PLEASE

Hi - due to celiac disease, my daughter and I must do gluten free only.  I understand there's a special section on the Icon that's exclusively gluten free.  I've seen a still photo from a distance and a quick 10 second video that moves super fast.  If anyone has any photos from breakfast, lunch and dinner of the gluten free area that truly shows all the different selections, that would be so helpful for our family's food allergies!!!!   Like for breakfast, do they do pancakes, waffles, french toast?  Do they have rolls, bread, buns at lunch/dinner?  Is there a pasta station every night there?  Are there any desserts there besides the standard Royal Caribbean chocolate mousse and jello at lunch and dinner?  Thanks so much in advance - my whole family truly appreciates it.

In general, ships do have gluten free pancakes or similar (you'll have to ask, they aren't necessarily going to be out), plus bread at dinner. Rolls (burger/hotdog) are typically available, though you may have to ask.  You can request GF pasta.  There's usually GF desserts (like ones that don't typically contain gluten anyway like mouse/jello) and sometimes ones that use GF flours. 

They key is to ask if you don't see what you want. They've got it. 

Just now, smokeybandit said:

In general, ships do have gluten free pancakes or similar (you'll have to ask, they aren't necessarily going to be out), plus bread at dinner. Rolls (burger/hotdog) are typically available, though you may have to ask.  You can request GF pasta.  There's usually GF desserts (like ones that don't typically contain gluten anyway like mouse/jello) and sometimes ones that use GF flours. 

They key is to ask if you don't see what you want. They've got it. 

Right, but Icon is different - there is a dedicated gluten free section in the Windjammer, so my question was intended to be directed at someone who has been on Icon (or currently on Icon) who can show what's specifically on the Icon in their Windjammer.

Many ships have dedicated GF sections.  What's there will change each day. I'm just saying what you see on Icon for the inaugural cruise doesn't mean that's what you'll see for your cruise.

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 1

Find a supervisor in a white shirt for breakfast and you can request GF pancakes. They are so delicious. On my last cruise, I was going through some allergy issues, and the Dr. suspected that gluten was one of my allergens. Due to my suspected allergies, I went gluten free for the entire cruise. I have to say that their GF pancakes were better then their regular ones.

On 1/29/2024 at 4:29 PM, lawyerboy5555 said:

Hi - due to celiac disease, my daughter and I must do gluten free only.  I understand there's a special section on the Icon that's exclusively gluten free

It's in the very back of each side of the Windjammer and I would not be surprised if many people miss it because it's so far away from the rest of the buffet areas. The one time I went back there to take some photos and video, it was a Stir Fry station and there was a lot of fruit for dessert. I never did see it set up for lunch or breakfast. 

My first experience with the gluten-free section on a Royal ship was on Brilliance. Overall it was good, but do be aware that it's not roped off and anyone can get to it. I happened to be there at breakfast one morning when a couple of kids I guess decided the bacon looked better on the gluten-free station and came over to get it from there - and promptly dropped their biscuits on the bacon. They picked them up (actually using tongs!), but for anyone who is celiac that was a potential huge problem. (Mine is a wheat allergy that just shows up as a little wheezing.)

To the dining team's credit, I immediately alerted the worker in the middle of the pod and they promptly removed that pan and the tongs and brought out a fresh pan and tongs from the back.

But do be aware that anyone can go over to the gluten-free pod/area.