Silhouette food and wine

Winemaker_1

We're just back from the Silhouette.  With so many recent discussions on the food and wine aboard Celebrity, I'll share our mostly positive experience.

Food:  We are food and wine people and thought the food in Luminae and Murano was excellent overall.  The one unimpressive meal we had was embarkation day lunch at Luminae - french fries were cold, entrees lukewarm.  Given all that's happening that morning, we did not let it bother us.  Otherwise, the service in both restaurants was terrific.  Our waiters knew the food and preparations very well and gently steered us in the direction of our preferences.  They were great.  Often, they brought additional apps or entrees that we were considering along with our ordered items just so we could taste them.  Our dinners at Murano and Luminae were really exceptional.  We did not eat in the Oceanview Cafe or MDR (though the MDR menu was available to us every night at Luminae) so can't comment on those.  We did walk through the Oceanview Cafe once on a sea day and it was an absolute mad house with inadequate seating for the guests.  

Wine:  Generally speaking, no two venues (Retreat Lounge, Retreat Deck, Luminae, Murano, various other bars) had the same wines.  Each had a subset of the wines on the PDP, but never the complete list.  Sometimes they would have substitutes.  For those who care, Decoy was $17/glass.  And there was no up-charge for an Aperol spritz in Retreat venues.  We don't drink spirits much, so I don't have info on those offerings.  

The white and rose wines on the PDP were fine.  We had a couple of pleasant roses including a few that weren't listed on the PDP.  The 'steel' Jadot Chard was fine, the Haslinger was fine, as was another Champagne they opened when they ran out of Haslinger one night.  They also had a couple of Charmat sparklers we didn't have a chance to try.  We could always find something decent to enjoy with meals or on the deck in the afternoon without a problem.  

The reds, however, were a travesty: Layer Cake, Souverain, J Lohr, Kendall Jackson, and Decoy.  I guess Barefoot, Cupcake, Franzia, and Gallo Hearty Burgundy weren't available?   There was a lesser Chianti (i.e., not a Classico) that was ok - the only drinkable PDP red on the list.  PDP reds were mostly a Dumpster-Diving Drink Package of mass-market garbage.  Celebrity does not have much respect for their wine-drinkers.

Edited by Winemaker_1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Winemaker_1 said:

We're just back from the Silhouette.  With so many recent discussions on the food and wine aboard Celebrity, I'll share our mostly positive experience.

Food:  We are food and wine people and thought the food in Luminae and Murano was excellent overall.  The one unimpressive meal we had was embarkation day lunch at Luminae - french fries were cold, entrees lukewarm.  Given all that's happening that morning, we did not let it bother us.  Otherwise, the service in both restaurants was terrific.  Our waiters knew the food and preparations very well and gently steered us in the direction of our preferences.  They were great.  Often, they brought additional apps or entrees that we were considering along with our ordered items just so we could taste them.  Our dinners at Murano and Luminae were really exceptional.  We did not eat in the Oceanview Cafe or MDR (though the MDR menu was available to us every night at Luminae) so can't comment on those.  We did walk through the Oceanview Cafe once on a sea day and it was an absolute mad house with inadequate seating for the guests.  

Wine:  Generally speaking, no two venues (Retreat Lounge, Retreat Deck, Luminae, Murano, various other bars) had the same wines.  Each had a subset of the wines on the PDP, but never the complete list.  Sometimes they would have substitutes.  For those who care, Decoy was $17/glass.  And there was no up-charge for an Aperol spritz in Retreat venues.  We don't drink spirits much, so I don't have info on those offerings.  

The white and rose wines on the PDP were fine.  We had a couple of pleasant roses including a few that weren't listed on the PDP.  The 'steel' Jadot Chard was fine, the Haslinger was fine, as was another Champagne they opened when they ran out of Haslinger one night.  They also had a couple of other Charmat sparklers we didn't have a chance to try.  We could always find something decent to enjoy with meals or on the deck in the afternoon without a problem.  

The reds, however, were a travesty: Layer Cake, Souverain, J Lohr, Kendall Jackson, and Decoy.  I guess Barefoot, Cupcake, Franzia, and Gallo Hearty Burgundy weren't available?   There was a lesser Chianti (i.e., not a Classico) that was ok - the only drinkable PDP red on the list.  PDP reds were mostly a Dumpster-Diving Drink Package of mass-market garbage.  Celebrity does not have much respect for their wine-drinkers.

I Agree with the red wine thoughts. We were on Apex a few weeks ago an thoughts the reds were below par. I think they are shopping at the wrong grocery store in Miami for wine. 

The red selections aren't commensurate for Luminae food. 

5 minutes ago, Winemaker_1 said:

Just off the Ascent and I agree that the wine choices real are not "to my taste." In Luminae I had to pay at least $8.00+grats over the PDP to get what I considered a decent wine. If X can't get better wines, they need to allow us to bring our own, as many as we want.

• Like 1