I do not understand NCL's upgrades pricing policy!

Recently booked a 10 days studio cabin cruise on the Getaway with the standard FAS promotion (1 specialty dinner, standard beverage package and 150 minutes internet) and then tried to book online some upgrades. Was originally interested in just booking two extra specialty dinners, unlimited internet and a 24 bottles water package. All these toghether amount to a sick 315€ tab (79,00€ + 181,00€ + 55,00€). After some research, I found out NCL now offers a FAS PLUS upgrade. In my case, the total amount is 390,00€. Yes, 75€ above the original 315,00€, but including the Premium Plus Beverage package which comprises Starbucks, wine bottles and mineral water. Great value if you ask me. Sure, I can live without the PPBP, but considering the small price difference and all the inclusions, I think it is a no brainer and it does not really make sense now booking just the three extra items I was originally interested in. Good for me, but I always try to find the logic behind things and I do not really see the logic this time in this pricing system. Anybody sees anything I do not? Please shed some light on this and help me understand. 😁

You're not seeing the logic because you are looking at the viewpoint of one consumer (one cruiser on one sailing of one ship) instead of viewing it from the viewpoint of the company who considers all cruisers on all ships combined as a whole.

IOW, you can't see the forest for the trees.

"...well, I'm willing to spend 315 on something so I might as well spend 390 on something more...."

Either way, NCL is happy. 

Whatever you are buying for 315 didn't cost 315 for NCL. It cost them less so NCL is making a profit.

Whatever you are buying for 390 didn't cost 390 for NCL. It cost them less so NCL is making a profit. 

1 hour ago, AlmiranteChurruca said:

Great value if you ask me. Sure, I can live without the PPBP, but considering the small price difference and all the inclusions, I think it is a no brainer and it does not really make sense now booking just the three extra items I was originally interested in. Good for me, but I always try to find the logic behind things and I do not really see the logic this time in this pricing system.

NCL gives you options and you select whatever option that you want for the price that NCL asks. Some people will pay the 315. Some will pay the 390. If you decide that the 390 is the better option, that is right for you. Someone else might not want to pay more than 315 and they won't pay the 390. That is right for them. 

21 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

"...well, I'm willing to spend 315 on something so I might as well spend 390 on something more...."

Either way, NCL is happy. 

Whatever you are buying for 315 didn't cost 315 for NCL. It cost them less so NCL is making a profit.

Whatever you are buying for 390 didn't cost 390 for NCL. It cost them less so NCL is making a profit. 

NCL gives you options and you select whatever option that you want for the price that NCL asks. Some people will pay the 315. Some will pay the 390. If you decide that the 390 is the better option, that is right for you. Someone else might not want to pay more than 315 and they won't pay the 390. That is right for them. 

Indeed. Always been told I have this natural tendency of overthinking and overcomplicating my life...🤣

Appreciate all your comments. Thank you! 

• Haha 1