Is it worth buying jewelry in the Carribean?

Froggyflo

Hi,

I'm looking for diamond stud earrings and I'm wondering if I'm netter off buying in Aruba or in Dubai...

Dubai prices are good as far as gold is concerned, but we do have a 5% sales tax. I don't know about diamonds. Is there a sales tax in Aruba?

Aruba is duty free. There are a number of jewelry stores on the island.  No idea which  is best or which are ripoff joints. But would recommend not even looking at Diamonds International or Tanzanite in the cruise port shopping of any Caribbean port.

Aruba has excellent,  very reputable jewelry stores.  I've purchased several pieces, and they've all appraised for more than I've paid.  I'm in Aruba now, enjoying our timeshare weeks.  My favorite jewelry stores are Kay's (not affiliated with Kay Jewelers in the U.S.), and Gold Palace.  They are located on the right hand side of the road, just passed the cruise terminal. Definitely check them out when you stop in Aruba. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve had a very nice pair of diamond studs from Gemini jewellers next to the Royal Plaza Mall. Sales guy very honest, actually recommended the smaller pair for my ears, not many people would have done this. Also had some nice pieces out of Shivas Gold & Gems. 

I try and avoid Effy and Diamonds international. Always think they’re overpriced. 

I always have a rough idea of price at home and barter hard. Haven’t bought jewellery at home for years, save my money for Caribbean now. Happy shopping😉

It's very difficult tp know what is a good bargain and what is not. Il suppose the most important thing is that we like what we've bought