Hamburg on a Sunday

Hi all, does anyone have any advice about what to do on a Sunday in Hamburg. We are on an MSC cruise shortly and understand all the shops are closed on Sunday.

None of the ship tours outside of Hamburg particularly appeal and we did want to see the city center.

Can anyone help with advice if museums or anything similar is open on a Sunday please.

Any help greatly appreciated while I’ll also try online.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards Peter. 

Hamburg is an interesting city for walking - there are a number of historic churches, including St. Nikolai Memorial, which is no longer a functioning church, but stands in memory of WWII and its impacts.  The Speicherstadt and HafenCity areas are really interesting to walk through, and couldn’t be more different from each other - some good photo opportunities there.  Elbphilharmonie is a fascinating structure, it is a concert hall, and perhaps tours are offered, but I think one can just wander the public spaces and there is a gift shop.  Further into the city, the art museum, Kunsthalle, is open on Sundays.  And for something completely different, there is the Reeperbahn.  And you could do a “Beatles in Hamburg” tour, since Hamburg was a really important place in the development of the band.  Lots of possibilities, I think - I hope you enjoy your visit -

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 4:31 PM, PrincessPete said:

Hi all, does anyone have any advice about what to do on a Sunday in Hamburg

And the Old Elbe Tunnel will be open.  It is located next to Landungsbreucken which is a busy area where the ferries come and go from. Ferry trips are a popular way to sightsee the docks which are enormous, but also to get from A to B, and one or two of the routes are recommended for a short sightseeing trip along the waterfront.

Info online for the tunnel and the ferries.