Status matching

On 2/15/2024 at 6:22 PM, TrueCruiseaholic said:

From the new Power Up Points survey, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and SilverSea may have status matching.

What do we think that would entail?

With the point structure difference between Royal and Celebrity would suite guests from Royal cruise on Celebrity to get to the next status faster?

Would an inside stateroom cruiser sail on Royal in order to become Pinnacle Club faster?

Would Celebrity be inundated with Royal cruisers of all tier levels?

Does SilverSea have multiple tiers to match Royal and Celebrity?

Also, Royal Caribbean Group really wants everyone to have their credit card. 😉

I think from my understanding they’re going to or want to combine loyalty programs. 

they all have credit cards and Princess pushes a little bit too but they don’t do additional points as their sailing rewards are different than the way Celebrity does it

10 minutes ago, happycruiser7 said:

I think from my understanding they’re going to or want to combine loyalty programs. 

they all have credit cards and Princess pushes a little bit too but they don’t do additional points as their sailing rewards are different than the way Celebrity does it

Combining would be for RCG benefit. Increase the point levels for all tiers and decrease the benefits/perks for all tier levels. 

2 hours ago, happycruiser7 said:

Celebrity does not have credit cards in all countries 

The likely reason the credit card thing is only US is because (up until now, fortunately), we don't have caps on credit card exchange fees. So, banks and travel brands are ultra-aggressive on jointly making money from rewards programs.

The majority of airline profits are driven by their loyalty programs - partnering with banks and selling rewards for offer through credit card programs. It's much like how, for years, retailers like Circuit City, CompUSA, Best Buy, etc., all made their profit from the sale of service contracts (extended warranties). When the economy dropped a bit and those sales largely went away, so did CC and CUSA. BBY is moving into areas like healthcare to find new profit areas because they've squeezed as much as they can out of their warranty programs.

Anyway, compared to many other travel-related credit cards, what I've seen of cruise line credit cards is totally underwhelming. Just no compelling reason to get one unless, I guess, you are a cruise lifer dedicated to one brand. Otherwise, there's way more value in Chase or AmEx points for travel-related expenses.

Edited by PH2