Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan excursions

Monica887

This is my second Alaska cruise and looking for feedback on my current excursion choices. 

Juneau - Whales and Rainforest trails (last time did helicopter to Mendenhall)

Skagway - Chilkoot trail hike and River float (last time rented a car and drove to Emerald lake)

Ketchikan - Black Bear and Wildlife Exploration (haven't been there before)

Anything else I should consider? We like nature and outdoor. Skipping the railway since we already drove that route. 

Ok I’ll just suggest a few things that only take 30 minutes to an hour to complement your excursions. If you have a little more time in Skagway I’ve heard good things about Yakutania point hike which starts by one of the docks and only takes 30 minutes and is quite easy. If salmon are running when you’re in Ketchikan I recommend you take the time to go see Creek Street. The salmon and seals alone are worth the visit but there’s also some cute shops and historic buildings there.

21 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

Ok I’ll just suggest a few things that only take 30 minutes to an hour to complement your excursions. If you have a little more time in Skagway I’ve heard good things about Yakutania point hike which starts by one of the docks and only takes 30 minutes and is quite easy. If salmon are running when you’re in Ketchikan I recommend you take the time to go see Creek Street. The salmon and seals alone are worth the visit but there’s also some cute shops and historic buildings there.

Thanks! I'll only have about an hour left after the Ketchikan excursion, but will see how the day goes - that's the perfect option if we have time. 

And I'm not sure we can convince my travel companions to do a second hike in Skagway - is it safe for a single to do alone? Looks like something I would enjoy!

11 minutes ago, Monica887 said:

Thanks! I'll only have about an hour left after the Ketchikan excursion, but will see how the day goes - that's the perfect option if we have time. 

And I'm not sure we can convince my travel companions to do a second hike in Skagway - is it safe for a single to do alone? Looks like something I would enjoy!

It’s one of the most hiked trails in Skagway from what I’ve been told. I hike solo in Alaska, just follow normal precautions for bears and general safety. Talk or sing to make sure bears know your around, don’t wear headphones, tell someone where your going etc. I added a screenshot of the trail map from AllTrails, love that app for finding trails and getting detailed information.

IMG_6954.png

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Monica887 said:

I did it alone in October and I am not a hiker. (I'm reasonably fit, just not sure-footed.) There were a couple places with more incline than I would have preferred especially with everything pretty wet, but it was fine. And the dawn views from the point were worth it.

There's also a pretty view from the Skagway Footbridge on the way to the hike, if you don't end up having much time.

Edited by GlitterFemme
add additional information
  • Thanks 1