Where do we clear U.S. immigration on return from Canadian ports?

Turtles06

We'll be on a New England/Canada cruise this fall, roundtrip out of Boston.   On the return leg of our cruise, our first U.S. port after the Canadian ports is Portland, Maine, the day before we disembark in Boston.  It's my understanding that we would clear U.S. immigration in Portland, and then just walk off the ship the next day in Boston, having already cleared immigration.   Is that correct?

Thanks!

10 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

We'll be on a New England/Canada cruise this fall, roundtrip out of Boston.   On the return leg of our cruise, our first U.S. port after the Canadian ports is Portland, Maine, the day before we disembark in Boston.  It's my understanding that we would clear U.S. immigration in Portland, and then just walk off the ship the next day in Boston, having already cleared immigration.   Is that correct?

Thanks!

Correct...you clear immigration in your first US port. Unless you're unlucky enough to be chosen for a random customs check in Boston you'll just walk off with no further formalities. 

2 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Correct...you clear immigration in your first US port. Unless you're unlucky enough to be chosen for a random customs check in Boston you'll just walk off with no further formalities. 

Thanks Paul, I figured that had to be the case, but it’s helpful to have confirmation.  Much appreciated. 

Hope you’re both well. 😊

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Thanks Paul, I figured that had to be the case, but it’s helpful to have confirmation.  Much appreciated. 

Hope you’re both well. 😊

Judith... we are well...making allowances for rapidly advancing age of course!!

Perhaps someday in the near future we'll once again find ourselves on the same cruise as the two of you.

6 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Judith... we are well...making allowances for rapidly advancing age of course!!

Perhaps someday in the near future we'll once again find ourselves on the same cruise as the two of you.

I share that hope! 😊

• Like 1