Solo travellers unite - individually!

Celandine

Hello my fellow solo cruisers! I am officially on vacation until April 9th, unfortunately I do not have a cruise booked until May 2025, but I do have university course work to finish and I am going away to a mostly inclusive (all food and non alcoholic drinks) resort here in Ontario, Canada. 

I plan on taking pictures of food and menus (you know preparing for next May) any interest in seeing that? Plus I will include pictures of the lake. I am going for a scrapbooking retreat, so I won’t be spending much time outside (much needed creative time with other scrapbookers and a great view of the lake from our conference room). This has been my cruise replacement since 2022 twice a year, a weekend in the fall and spring, I love it, but am so ready for my next cruise! Only 420+ days left lol

23 hours ago, Celandine said:

I plan on taking pictures of food and menus (you know preparing for next May) any interest in seeing that?

Is it on a cruise? If not, might be a better fit for a different blog site?

On 4/2/2024 at 6:20 PM, kelliebiz said:

Is it on a cruise? If not, might be a better fit for a different blog site?

No, sadly, just a resort by the lake. 

I have seen some land vacation reviews scattered around this site before (especially while cruising was shut down) and I’m not on any other sites but I don’t need to post it, just thought I’d see if anyone who wanders into this thread was interested. 

18 hours ago, Celandine said:

No, sadly, just a resort by the lake. 

I have seen some land vacation reviews scattered around this site before (especially while cruising was shut down) and I’m not on any other sites but I don’t need to post it, just thought I’d see if anyone who wanders into this thread was interested. 

I actually would be interested in seeing pictures of the resort you mentioned. Given the ever-increasing cost of cruising (especially for solos), a lot of people are looking seriously at non-cruise vacation options. Although there are obvious differences between cruise ships and all-inclusive resorts, there are also similarities. I'd love to know your impressions of the resort, and how it compares to a typical cruise in terms of ambiance, socializing, and cost-effectiveness.

Jim

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2024 at 11:15 AM, HBE4 said:

I just finished reading and enjoying your review of MSC Magnifica. Thank you for taking the time to do that.

Will you be doing a review of your Liberty sailing?  I'm contemplating doing my first solo cruise. Not necessarily on Liberty but she is a sentimental favorite of mine as she was both my first cruise as well as my last cruise. Just curious to see her thru the eyes of a solo cruiser.

Thank you! 😊 

I leave in 3 days for my solo on Liberty. I do plant to write a review, I’m still deciding whether to do a live or a review upon completion. 

• Like 2

On 4/19/2024 at 12:28 PM, rrraydon said:

Thank you! 😊 

I leave in 3 days for my solo on Liberty. I do plant to write a review, I’m still deciding whether to do a live or a review upon completion. 

I also read your MSC report and enjoyed it very much. I love reading reports from other solo cruisers. Have a great cruise! Can't wait to read about it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 2/25/2024 at 1:58 AM, Celandine said:

Good day everyone! 

I just booked my second upcoming Solo cruise- and frankly I just needed a place to talk about my cruises and my thoughts, plans and what not. No one else in my life knows yet except my mum (and I think she’s getting sick of me talking about it). 

it’s also Waaaaay to early to start and thread review as I am over 1 year away from 1 cruise and almost 2 from the other! 

so I figured I’d make a thread topic here to talk about history, planning and documenting my excitement! Of course anyone else is welcome to use this space for the same reason! I will be just as excited for all of you. 

So what do I have booked? 

May 27 2025 to Alaska on the Grand Princess 

and as of 5 minutes ago 

February 1 2026 Oasis of the Seas Western Caribbean (but I’m really just here for the ship)

bit of history:

These will not be my first solo  cruise- way back in 2011 (Jan 23) I did a solo 17 day cruise around the South China Sea Shanghai to Singapore on the Ocean Princess. 

I have cruised on several lines Carnival, RCL, Princess, MSC, Celebrity and Pulmantur- 17 cruises all together, and so far Princess has come out as my favourite. 

I have not been on a cruise since summer 2019- I am in serious withdrawal! 

Why these cruises?

Alaska is my favourite destination, this will be my third time there, second with Princess but first on the Grand! I am coming back to cruising with a solo bang and have a balcony and the plus package ( mostly for fun and I do need internet as I’m back in University part time working to switch careers and will have coursework to do). It is hard for me to imagine Alaska without a balcony, but it might happen in the future! 

Oasis of the Seas has been on my to cruise list since it first came out. I booked my desired cabin, interior with Central Park view. I have a lot to catch up on with RCL but I love cruise researching, reading reviews and so far the RCL app! 

I look forward to sharing more as I make some plans and do some more research and hope to hear from some of you! Favourite solo trips, tips, any experiences with these ships or lines or anything you want to share!  

your post resonated with me as I am going on my first solo cruise and so excited, I want to talk about it but I see people roll their eyes here she goes again......

Edited by Beddie
  • Like 1

On 7/11/2024 at 2:10 AM, Beddie said:

your post resonated with me as I am going on my first solo cruise and so excited, I want to talk about it but I see people roll their eyes here she goes again......

Congratulations Beddie 🎉🍹 Your 1st Solo!! How exciting!! You are going to have a wonderful time!! 

• Like 2

I took my 1st solo cruise in 2016.  I met friends from a previous cruise and we met up again that year.  So, I guess you could say a solo cruise with training wheels 😄 I had an absolute Blast!! doesn't happen all the time. I met them here on CC a Roll Call. We all kept in touch and shared a few cruises together. It was wonderful.  There were no expectations, everyone respected everyone's time. If we decided to do something all together we did. and if others had plans to do something else they went off and did there own thing.  We would all meetup eventually that day or/evening.  Wonderful memories. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I'm booked on VISION OF THE SEAS next June.

I can't say that I booked it because of the ship, I booked it because of the set of destinations.

I haven't got a clue what I am going to find when I get on the ship - is it older traditional cruising style or one of those new family oriented mega ships with a theme park plonked on top? I have no idea.  And I'm not going to check either.

For me, it's just a floating hotel room that enable me to visit a couple of destinations where hotels costs mega bucks which alone would cost more than I have paid for the cruise.

Just giving you a view point from a different type of customer 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tim_london0 said:

I'm booked on VISION OF THE SEAS next June.

I can't say that I booked it because of the ship, I booked it because of the set of destinations.

I haven't got a clue what I am going to find when I get on the ship - is it older traditional cruising style or one of those new family oriented mega ships with a theme park plonked on top? I have no idea.  And I'm not going to check either.

For me, it's just a floating hotel room that enable me to visit a couple of destinations where hotels costs mega bucks which alone would cost more than I have paid for the cruise.

Just giving you a view point from a different type of customer 

Although I would never do what you're doing---I need to know as much as possible beforehand about the cruise line, the ship, and the likely demographics---I admire your adventurous, "que sera sera" attitude. At the very least, the fewer your expectations, the less likely you'll be disappointed. Good luck!

Jim

I'm planning my first solo trip for my 40th in July 2025 on the QM2 after about 4 days in London before embarkation. I love traveling, but i tend to prefer to have my own space and explore at my own pace and don't necessarily want to have to compromise with someone else. I'm also a bit of a crazy planner specifically around travel and accommodations. I like watching video reviews and look at so many pictures before and after I make my reservations. I'm not traveling for another 10.5 months and yet I already have a list of the different experiences I want to do (e.g. classes, special meals/teas, etc.) plus a really detailed budget and calendar of events. I think a big part of the fun for me is the planning. It also means that everything is well set so that I can just enjoy my trip (obviously I understand things can and will change, but it's nice to have a foundation). I will gladly take any tips from solo travelers, especially if you've done so on Cunard or QM2!

• Like 3

Another solo cruiser here! I've recently retired ( I'm 61) and have booked two solo cruises.

I'm in Australia and have traveled most of the country except for Darwin and Broome, and I really don't fancy driving to the other side of the country, especially such isolated areas, on my own, so I bit the bullet and booked a 28 day cruise around Australia with Princess for March 2026. You've got to book early for the big cruises, they seem to sell out super fast.

To test myself and see how I would go on a cruise on my own ( I've previously cruised with friends and family), I've booked a 5 day cruise to Moreton Island for March 2025. It's mostly sea days which is fine, since the round Australia has a lot of sea days, and a day at a beach resort.

I'm sure I'll be fine, since I live alone and have travelled alone for most of my life, and I'm not a very social person, although I do enjoy the shows and trivia etc.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2024 at 3:26 AM, ElegantlyEvil said:

Haha I'm totally the same, I'm 18 months out and already have started my lists .

That cruise sounds AMAZING. I too would be spending 18 months planning. I already have my flight and hotels booked for my trip. If I could get my train tickets I would. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/4/2024 at 2:46 PM, RinnyBess said:

I'm planning my first solo trip for my 40th in July 2025 on the QM2 after about 4 days in London before embarkation. I love traveling, but i tend to prefer to have my own space and explore at my own pace and don't necessarily want to have to compromise with someone else. I'm also a bit of a crazy planner specifically around travel and accommodations. I like watching video reviews and look at so many pictures before and after I make my reservations. I'm not traveling for another 10.5 months and yet I already have a list of the different experiences I want to do (e.g. classes, special meals/teas, etc.) plus a really detailed budget and calendar of events. I think a big part of the fun for me is the planning. It also means that everything is well set so that I can just enjoy my trip (obviously I understand things can and will change, but it's nice to have a foundation). I will gladly take any tips from solo travelers, especially if you've done so on Cunard or QM2!

Are we the same person? I am very much the same in terms of early-and-often planning, and my first cruise was a solo TA on QM2 back in 2018. 

My next cruise is a solo TA on QV in March 2025, from Fort Lauderdale to Southampton, after she finishes her circumnavigation of South America next winter. I'm then spending a whirlwind 48 hours in London before flying home to go back to work the next morning.  

On Cunard, they offer both fixed and open dining. I'm a fan of fixed dining - you have the same table every night, the same staff, and they get to know you. I've done both solo table for 2 and larger tables, and enjoyed both, for different reasons. 

Specifically for Cunard, embrace the dress code and dress for dinner - there's something truly magical about walking through a ship where almost everyone is dressed nicely. Even on the 'smart casual' nights, it's still an experience. But take a wrap or shawl - the MDR can be quite chilly, and if you go for a walk on the deck, it can be breezy and cold after the sun goes down. 

Explore the ship early during your week on board - I've been on her for TAs three times now, and I'm STILL finding new corners every time. The Carinthia Lounge has really nice little breakfast and lunch plates available, but not everyone realises they're there, and the couches are cozy and good for reading or crafting. (The last time I was on board, though, they were doing multiple trivia quizzes daily in the CL, which made it less conducive for quiet reading.) 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, neeuqdrazil said:

Are we the same person?

Very possibly 🙂 

I was thinking open seating would allow me to meet more people and give me the flexibility to have solo dinners sometimes. 

I am looking forward to learning what the gala night themes will be. I plan to go all out!

@RinnyBess

I've been on Cunard three times (QM2, QE, and QA), but not as a solo (I've only done solo cruises on Princess, NCL, and---next month---HAL). But I can tell you that on my 21-day cruise on QM2 in 2019 I would see a very well-attended solo get-together every morning around 9:30AM at the Carinthia Lounge, and I often bumped into solo travelers at the gym or elsewhere on the ship. It's a convivial ship, especially in the evening (the Chart Room was our pre-dinner hangout every night).

As for fixed vs. open dining on Cunard, we've always opted for fixed, late seating, table for two. As I understand it, on Cunard open dining carries the risk of long wait times at the most popular times (7:00-7:30PM), and when you're finally seated the service may be rushed or disorganized. Why not put in for a table for two at either of the fixed dining times? If you meet someone during the day you'd like to have dinner with, invite him or her to join you. If not, enjoy your own company, people watch, and be "that mystery lady." And the tables for two in the Britannia dining room (MDR) are all fairly close together, so you'll probably have plenty of opportunities to chat with your neighbors.

Have fun!

Jim

21 hours ago, RinnyBess said:

Very possibly 🙂 

I was thinking open seating would allow me to meet more people and give me the flexibility to have solo dinners sometimes. 

I am looking forward to learning what the gala night themes will be. I plan to go all out!

The gala nights can be well observed, although I will caution that 'Masquerade' doesn't mean costume. (I remember one gent wearing a Tarzan get-up for Masquerade night during one unforgettable TA.) 

I've both observed (wearing a red dress with gold accessories for Red & Gold, and a fancy ball gown for Masquerade) and not (never could find an appropriate 20s style dress for Roaring 20s.)  They've also started (?) doing non-themed gala nights. My last Cunard voyage (which was a 15-night Panama Canal on QV) had 4 gala nights, 2 themed (Masquerade and Red & Gold), and 2 un-themed. 

@RinnyBess

You may know this already, but you can expect Americans to be in the minority on your cruise. On our three Cunard cruises, the ones starting and ending in the U.S. had maybe 40-50% U.S. guests (the rest Brits, Aussies, Japanese, and English-speaking Europeans). On our most recent QA Baltic cruise (round-trip Southampton), I only met one American and rarely heard an American accent. There will certainly be Americans on your cruise returning to the U.S. after a holiday abroad, but I think you'll like the international atmosphere. It makes for more stimulating---and less predictable---conversations.

Jim

• Thanks 1