Same day flight/transfer to Trieste by NCL

fun1367

Family of 3 on NCL Escape in July flying in from NY and will also NCL will  transfer to cruise ship in Trieste. Is that a risky schedule! Chances of missing ship high? Anyone can relate their experiences?

23 minutes ago, fun1367 said:

Family of 3 on NCL Escape in July flying in from NY and will also NCL will  transfer to cruise ship in Trieste. Is that a risky schedule! Chances of missing ship high? Anyone can relate their experiences?

Flying in same day is always risky no matter when you're going. If there's a flight cancellation, missed connection or delay you're out of luck.

You'll be on your own to find your way to the ship at the next port. 

I'm assuming it's too late to change your mind about flying in a day early at this point.

• Like 2

same day arrival is always a hair raising experience. yer pays your money and yer takes your choice!

by the way, trieste is a truly beautiful little city,  you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you dont spend at least 1 day there before you sail. we did that a few years ago. stayed in venice for 2 days, hired a shuttle to drive us to trieste for 1 day, just wandered around the city for a while, next day, got on a bus chartered by the hotel/ncl, and went right to the port. stayed in hilton double tree hotel, no muss, no fuss, no bother. unless we're traveling from a u.s port to another or same u.s. port, i would never take  chance on same day fly in, unless ive booked a red eye.

• Like 1

Thank you for good suggestions. Trying not to incur hotel stay(3 person in room seems impossible) and keep NCL transfer on same flight day. Do realize it’s best to arrive day early.

Posted (edited)

Also something to take in to consideration when arriving from abroad on the same say as the cruise starts:

Bus from Venice Marco Polo airport to Trieste takes min. 90 minutes, could be longer depending on traffic. 

Edited by TrumpyNor
misspelled...
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, fun1367 said:

Thank you for good suggestions. Trying not to incur hotel stay(3 person in room seems impossible) and keep NCL transfer on same flight day. Do realize it’s best to arrive day early.

I truly get you're trying to save cash on the hotel. And, you'll probably be totally fine flying in same day. But, is the stress and worry about making your flights (and checked luggage getting to Trieste) really worth saving $250 - $300? For me, it's not. But, I do get that maybe the vacation is really expensive and you need to save where you can. 

If you do go same day, best of luck!! I hope it all goes well, and I'm sure there's a really high likelihood everything will be fine. 

5 hours ago, fun1367 said:

I stayed in Trieste two nights last April. Price was very reasonable compared to most European cities. And was able to walk out of hotel, cross the street and walk onto the ship.