LIVE! Jubilee Jaunt  3/2-3/9 Big Family Fun—Let’s Cruise!

6 hours ago, catgirl411 said:

I love this philosophy. We’ve booked our first ever family cruise for next February and I am really going to try to relax and let everyone enjoy it in their own way. And as an additional way of coping, we will be doing it B2B while the others are only doing the first 7 days. That should allow us to do anything we missed in the second week.

How nice to be able to do a B2B to have some time after the family leaves!  The philosophy worked well.  I generally did what the group was interested in doing (which is why I was a the Bars so much more on this trip; 6 out of 9 were “drinkers” since hubby doesn’t drink, we normally do the Alchemy Bar for some Lyres N/A drinks and that is about it. This trip we did some Alchemy Bar, but tons of time at Dr. Inks and also time at the Farenheit 555 Bar (they make a most excellent Lemon Drop Martini…the Martini’s in general there were great).

We had trivia people on this cruise, very sporty//adventurous people, piano bar people…all things I don’t generally do a ton of when I cruise but enjoyed very much on this cruise!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, lazydayz said:

Thanks for a fun trip report.  So glad it went well for you and your family.

We board the Paradise tomorrow for a spring break cruise.  What were we thinking? 

Since the grands elected not to go, it will just be hubby and me in our Grand Suite.

@lazydayz Ooh a Grand Suite, just the two of you! Heaven!! Don’t worry about Spring Break, I’ve done it (last year, Mardi Gras, dead in the middle of it) and I was tripping over kids but still had a fantastic time. You’ll have the Suite so you’ll have a refuge when. you need it!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

We’re sitting in the United Club Lounge in the middle of our long travel day heading home. Hoped to treat some of the kids to the lounge but everyone left from a different terminal—A, B, C and E!  Two also left from Hobby (we are at IAH).

All the kids were making jokes about hiding on the ship so they didn’t have to leave, so suffice it to say that we have a new generation of cruisers in the family!

In fact, all 5 of the new cruisers want to do it again! Everyone loved it.  

My last day was a whirlwind…ran out of time and had to fit lots in that last day!  

image.jpg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 8

On 3/8/2024 at 6:09 AM, TheLargeFamily said:

Oh u are making me wish we had a balcony next week! U definitely utilize yours to the max! I hope I can see runners from our windows. 

Passion island looks lovely! Have u been to paradise beach? If so, please compare. I'd love that twister boat if my neck can handle it. 

@TheLargeFamily Yes, such a big part of the experience for me is the balcony…sitting and listening to the ocean at night (often with a pizza snack!), on the balcony when we are in port for photos; on the balcony when we leave port, pier runners….just love it. Some of our family just liked to sit out on their balcony drinking wine. My husband hardly ever steps out on the balcony; my son was in an interior and loved it!  He said “I’ve got this big beautiful ship to sit outside on and look at the ocean; I don’t need a balcony.”

Did see a couple runners but it was a tad disappointing (must have had a late excursion coming in, because people were slowly ambling in at 3:45 with a 3:30 All Aboard time!

The Jubilee has such a great connection with the sea; you’ll be fine without the balcony!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, princess76021 said:

watched your ship come in this morning @TravelBluebird 

How sad our cruise is coming to an end when we were having such a good time 😢😢

Thanks for taking us along!

Hugs from Texas

@princess76021 really just went too darn fast!

I’ll start posting Jubilee videos this week, probably first one Monday. 

Always a pleasure to take my Cruise Critic family along.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

They were delicious…and I’m sure WE did not pronounce Natchitoches right! 😂

Can't wait to try them....it's pronounced Nach-i-tus.  These pies were originally native to Wales and Scotland and immigrants brought them here.  My Dad just loved them and tried them anywhere and everywhere he came across them.  I will be wrappin my lips around them soon!  Yeeha.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

After Bingo on our last day, I ran around the ship—Inaugural Swag store, charms for a family member, B roll video and tours for my YouTube channel. Packed. Repacked. Gave out disembarkation instructions to everyone who was brand new (and yet my Goddaughter still did not have her Sail and Sign card out when we got to the gangway to disembark).

At 3:30 4 of our group went on Bolt! They loved it, but all agree that it is just such a short ride for $15 a head, but you HAVE to ride a roller coaster at sea just once!

Final dinner was all together at the MDR.  We had a lovely table by the windows. 

And then the fat lady sang. Um, well actually,and then the staff sang the Carnival version of Leaving on a Jet Plane, and I knew our journey was near its end.

I had a lovely last dinner of Penne Marisco (calimari, shrimp mussels in a red sauce) for my appetizer (I just LOVE that Carnival is doing the pastas as appetizers as well as mains!), then the coffee glazed duck, an Emeril selection (AMAZING; everyone agreed to go with the duck not the pork chops if that is your choice).  Finished with the Baked Alaska…although my brain was sad I didn’t finish with a Carnival Chocolate Melting Cake.

IMG_4219.jpeg

IMG_2928.jpeg

IMG_2918.png

IMG_2917.png

IMG_2919.png

IMG_2920.png

IMG_2922.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

After dinner, we RACED off and just made it to the 7:15 Celestial Strings.

This was my 4th time seeing the show, but I truly love it and wanted to see how it translated to the Main theater instead of Center Stage.

It translated very well!  I like the production in both spaces; the different performance spaces give the show a quite different feel.

This was one of the most talented casts I’ve seen. My Goddaughter had tears in her eyes several times.

Everyone loved it, so much so that we went back for the 9:45 show to close out our cruise!  This time we had seats 4th row center, and I didn’t take photos or videos; I just enjoyed it. So I’ve seen it 5 times now and I’d see it again!

It’s.unusual to have such a “big” show the last night (they also did the “World Works Here” show at center stage) but I liked it! Great ending to the cruise, and you are all packed and ready to relax at that point.

IMG_4222.jpeg

IMG_4220.jpeg

IMG_5975.jpeg

IMG_5956.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 6

One complaint, and this goes through ALL of the live music entertainment on the ship.  It is TOO LOUD. Too loud, for me, to enjoy the music without ear plugs! Every time I was anywhere with music—Center Stage, Jubilee Theater, Havana Bar, dangerously loud (I’d get a 90 decibel warning from my Apple Watch in each of those places.  And without earplugs would just sit there thinking how badly I was damaging my hearing.

This was a problem I mentioned in my Wonder of The Seas LIVE in October; I had never noticed in on Carnival until recently. Either my hearing is improving as I age (unlikely) OR all the cruise ships are using the same sound engineer and the guy is partially deaf! Just my opinion. If you are like me and sensitive to overly loud music, bring a pair of light ear plugs.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

After the show, some hugged and said goodbyes (2 had only check on so were leaving self-assist EARLY to catch an early flight). Everyone else gently scattered to do the “one last” thing on their vacation, one to Alchemy Bar, one to the Summer Landing pool, one to the balcony, me to walk the quieter halls of the cruise ship, take a few last photos (such as of the fantastic glass fish 3 story sculpture) and the art that Kyndall and some of the St. Jude kids made together.  I also found Dajana my bartender and we hugged and said goodbyes. Then I grabbed a last pizza, headed to my balcony, and said goodbye to the ocean. It was already getting cold as we closed in on Galveston (it was in the 50s and chilly when we got out of the cruise terminal this morning).  

IMG_3016.jpeg

IMG_3027.jpeg

IMG_3029.jpeg

IMG_3009.jpeg

IMG_3011.jpeg

IMG_3012.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

Jubilee Fun Fact—  Did you know that you can program the electronic “under the seas” windows? Look for the “Change the Currents” event in the What’s Happening portion of the app.

IMG_3036.jpeg

IMG_3035.jpeg

IMG_3034.jpeg

IMG_0771.png

IMG_0772.png

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 5

Disembarkation went very smoothly. The remaining 7 of us met up on in the Lido Marketplace at 8:30. Crowded as always on disembarkation day. By some miracle we managed to get a large enough seating area for all of us.

We had breakfast (yup, my first buffet meal of the week (regular coffee, was OK, cold eggs benedict but warm hash browns) and some fruit and yogurt.  We sat around and chatted until Kyndall Fire basically said at about 10am “OK, there are 400 of you still on board, GET OFF THE SHIP” 😂

We waltzed right through…elevators took the longest (just 5 minutes), then right off the ship (except for Goddaughter who didn’t know to have her Sail & Sign card out).  Right down the gangway, luggage was like the only luggage left in group 2, boom, right through facial recognition customs control NO LINE (I love it, here take my privacy! No customs line!!).  There was a definite line for those without passports.

We did have to wait for our shuttle bus till 11 (time it was scheduled).  Had to walk way over to the right where the buses meet (it was Galveston Limo company).  Not a big deal except with all the arrivals, nowhere on the sidewalk to push your luggage!).

This was not a van like when we took the company’s shuttle to the hotel. This was a BUS. We went to Hobby first to drop off people (we were not told about that, but we were in no rush as flights were from 5pm to 8pm). Then to IAH. So the drive took 2.15 hours.

Heading to our gate shortly for our 45 minute delayed flight.  Might have to wait till I’m home to finish the story as I’m on a commuter plane with no wifi).

• Like 3

OK I’m on the delayed plane; may or may not have the chance to finish this before the door closes!

I am not a big fan of the Houston (IAH) airport. No places to eat or shop really before security; kind of depressing. There was a legit schizophrenic homeless bag lady that sat next to. me on the Subway that goes from Terminal to Terminal. Our family was spread out in Terminals A, B, C and E. So we decided to meet after checking our luggage at the Marriott for lunch.

All went well, goodbyes were said, and that brings me right back around to us sitting in the United Lounge for 3 hours plus. So different than the Delta Clubs. Very limited food choices in comparison. BUT, nice and quiet with lots of little alcoves to sit in. It was nice to have access with so many hours at the airport.

Just a note that by checking our luggage it arrived on the flight prior to this one, so has been sitting at the airport. We thought about trying to go standby on that flight, but figured they wouldn’t let us because our luggage was checked on THIS flight. HA. we should have tried. I didn’t book that flight initially because it was SO much more expensive.

Thank you to everyone who has joined me. I will post link to my YouTube videos from the trip to this thread, and I’ll take images of the Fun Times for you this week, etc.  I may have some additional photos to share, and of course, if you have any questions, ask away!

Overall, this Jubilee Jaunt was a delightful success!  Very different than my cruises just with DH or one other family member. And I absolutely love the Carnival Jubilee!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I’m here today in my usual post-cruise funk. Had to make my own coffee. Nothing in the fridge. It was 43 degrees when I woke up,  Now I have to unpack and do laundry.  Sigh.  But through it all, I’m thinking of all the wonderful memories we made this week.

My next cruise is in 2 months on the Carnival Magic! It will be the first time I’m cruising with them, and also my first time doing a LIVE blog with young kids (my grandchildren)!  

One post-cruise note—the 2 travelers in our group that took American Airlines (the rest of us were on United) still don’t have their luggage, They are hoping it shows up on a flight this afternoon. Fingers crossed!

To those of you who were following here and are on your first sea day on the Jubilee ENJOY and I hope you have as marvelous time as we did! 

IMG_4238.jpeg

IMG_2285.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 12

On 3/9/2024 at 6:58 PM, TravelBluebird said:

It is TOO LOUD

I ordered two types of ear plugs for our cruise...I always complain about it.  This time we're prepared...one type is the sponge kind the others are plastic

And....hoping our cruise which starts on the 30th will eschew the spring breakers...

• Like 1

On 3/9/2024 at 6:49 PM, TravelBluebird said:

After dinner, we RACED off and just made it to the 7:15 Celestial Strings.

I did not know they did the Center Stage show in the smaller theatre.  Do they do them all there?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

I ordered two types of ear plugs for our cruise...I always complain about it.  This time we're prepared...one type is the sponge kind the others are plastic

And....hoping our cruise which starts on the 30th will eschew the spring breakers...

@BecciBoo Isn’t that crazy that we have to bring ear plugs for the music being so loud?  

And hopefully by the 30th you will have missed Spring Break, or at least it will have thinned out. 

Have a fantastic cruise on this beautiful ship!

• Like 2

Just now, hawkinsh said:

I did not know they did the Center Stage show in the smaller theatre.  Do they do them all there?

@hawkinsh Dear Future Husband, Celestial Strings and Soul Bound were all in the Jubilee Theater on Jubilee.  The Rio show, the Variety Show, World Works Here, etc. were at Center Stage.  They do the Rio show on 2 nights so everyone gets a chance to see it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TravelBluebird said:

@hawkinsh Dear Future Husband, Celestial Strings and Soul Bound were all in the Jubilee Theater on Jubilee.  The Rio show, the Variety Show, World Works Here, etc. were at Center Stage.  They do the Rio show on 2 nights so everyone gets a chance to see it.

We will be on the Celebration in July and wondered about that ship.

• Like 1

OK! My first video from this trip is up!  I am doing individual ship tours of each of the public decks—Decks 6, 7, 8, and 16 and above.  Also, I did the tours at the end of the week instead of the beginning to see if that informed my tours a little better.  

Here is the first tour, of Deck 6!:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, hawkinsh said:

We will be on the Celebration in July and wondered about that ship

@hawkinsh On Celebration, Celestial Strings and the Circus show (which is fabulous) are both at Center Stage. I’ll check my notes and see what the venues were for all the shows when I’m in my office later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TravelBluebird said:

ere is the first tour, of Deck 6!:

Thx so much for showing that entry to the theater, since I'm in a wheelchair, that would be a great way to get there!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

Thx so much for showing that entry to the theater, since I'm in a wheelchair, that would be a great way to get there!

@BecciBoo You are very welcome! No steps at all. To the right as you are facing forward on the ship.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Work and a week of travel for my non-profit got in the way (non-cruise life can be so annoying! 😂) but I finally got another video up from this Jubilee cruise! This one is a tour and review of a Carnival Jubilee Ocean Suite.   

• Like 3