South America Antarctica Cruise

As we can't PM thought I'd continue to ask some questions.

First, we booked flights. We swore 2 years ago we'd never fly long haul economy again. Well that had to change!

Qantas wanted 12.5k (for 2) return in PE ex Sydney. With 250k ff points it went down to 10.3. Incidentally up coming trip to Johannesburg is 5.5k PE with 150k points. 

So we booked economy for 5.5k. Grabbed the twin seats at the back. Yes not ideal but will put up with a lot not to be in the middle.

Anyway the real point of my post:

What Santiago, Iguazu and BA hotels would you recommend.

Many TIA 

Yes, the transpacific Australia to Santiago flights are a shocker.  There is almost no competition, just Qantas and Latam, and they code share anyway, so you may find yourself on a Latam aircraft.

Re accommodation, depends a lot on your budget and the style of hotel you like.  I avoid large international chains if I can find something smaller and friendly.   In South America there is a category called "Hostal" (with an a not an e), which means a smaller place, often family run, not a backpacker's hostel. They can be great because you get personal attention and help.  The one I stay at in Santiago is called Hostal Rio Amazonas. It's in a good area of the city. You can find it on booking.com

In Buenos Aires, I stay at the Hotel Tango de Mayo. Quirky hotel in an historic building, with a tango theme. Good location.

• Like 1

We had a package deal and were at the Regal Pacific Hotel, it was quiet, comfy and had a nice pool and restaurant in it. It is on 25 De Maya Avenue so closer to the terminal and water front eateries but further from the obelisk and shopping areas.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, this has been an interesting thread to read considering we are going to be doing a cruise in January 2025 around S.A.  Can anyone let me know their experience for visa for:

Brazil

Argentina

Peru

Ecuador

Chile

Uruguay

I have checked a few sites already including Smart Traveller, but it seems a bit confusing since they don not specifically address arriving via cruise ship.  I would appreciate any advice or comments.  I always find this part of trip planning a challenge.  Thank you in advance!

That's a very broad question. What specifically do you want to know? 

I've been on a cruise ship that went to Chile. The port was San Antonio, about 100 kms from Santiago. Modern cruise ship terminal building, you need to get a taxi or shuttle bus or a private transfer with a tour, right to the entrance. Cruise ships also stop at Valparaiso port, also a long way from Santiago.

Uruguay, port I stopped was Montevideo. Right in town, five minute walk to the great market complex. Lots of interesting historical shipping stuff in the port precinct if you like maritime history.

Argentina, Buenos Aires.  Very modern cruise ship terminal,with good shops and cafes but the roof collapsed in a storm last December, so I don't know whether it has been repaired yet. In the meantime, you have to get shuttle buses from the ship to a temporary terminal.

• Like 1

Australians do not currently need a Visa for Argentina or Uruguay however we did have to fill in an entry form for Argentina.

Brazil and Chile you definitely will need a visa so use the official links via smartraveller and apply within the appropriate times to allow processing. 

As for Peru and Ecuador, I cannot remember what the requirements were as we were there 10 years ago but smartraveller will have the info.

Australians need a visa for Chile, and it is an absolute pain to get.  Their Australian embassy and consulates seem to be totally overwhelmed.  I applied four months before my visit, and only got the visa 12 days before I left home. That was only after I started emailing and ringing frequently to check on progress in the last few weeks at the Chilean consulate in Melbourne, which apparently handles all applications for Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and Western Australia.  Then there are the forms you have to fill out and information you have to supply, which includes things like a copy of your bank account, a police check, a list of overseas countries you have visited, proof of onward travel, proof of accommodation bookings and more. Start early.

The official government websites for applying for visas are listed on Smarttraveller for each country under Travel. Don't use anywhere else - there are a lot of scammers out there, or just businesses that want you to pay a high fee to them for something you can do yourself.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2024 at 11:12 AM, cruiser3775 said:

Australians need a visa for Chile, and it is an absolute pain to get.  Their Australian embassy and consulates seem to be totally overwhelmed.  I applied four months before my visit, and only got the visa 12 days before I left home. That was only after I started emailing and ringing frequently to check on progress in the last few weeks at the Chilean consulate in Melbourne, which apparently handles all applications for Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and Western Australia.  Then there are the forms you have to fill out and information you have to supply, which includes things like a copy of your bank account, a police check, a list of overseas countries you have visited, proof of onward travel, proof of accommodation bookings and more. Start early.

The official government websites for applying for visas are listed on Smarttraveller for each country under Travel. Don't use anywhere else - there are a lot of scammers out there, or just businesses that want you to pay a high fee to them for something you can do yourself.

Oh dear! Any reason why you can't start the process 9 months in advance?

I asked that question, and the Melbourne consulate said that they only start looking at the visa applications about six weeks before your date of arrival in Chile. I think that is because they are overwhelmed by the workload. There seems to be only one person who deals with visas and she works part time.  That timetable makes life very difficult for the applicants. I was getting desperate three weeks out for my departure, thinking that if I didn't get the visa, I wouldn't be allowed to get on the plane (it was the first thing they checked at the airport). Then I would lose all the money I had paid out in advance and there was no way I could claim it on my travel insurance. 

If you go to the Trip Advisor forum for Chile and search under "E-visa for Australians" you can find a very long thread about this, which includes some good advice on how to supply the information they require for the visa.

• Like 1

Yes, the Chilean visa is difficult to get, though it looks like they are finally realising how much business and tourist traveller money they are losing, and are making some improvements. Persevere with it, because the cruise around the bottom of South America is one of the most scenic and interesting I have ever been on. Wish I was going again!

It's interesting too that UK and US citizens can travel to Chile visa free.

Obviously we've no considered Chile important enough to negotiate Visa free travel. Or perhaps it's because Australia is not important enough in tourism terms.

34 minutes ago, Galesa said:

It's interesting too that UK and US citizens can travel to Chile visa free.

Obviously we've no considered Chile important enough to negotiate Visa free travel. Or perhaps it's because Australia is not important enough in tourism terms.

... and NZ passport holders have visa free travel - I wonder why the hoops for Aussies 🐨 🦘

17 minutes ago, Jean C said:

... and NZ passport holders have visa free travel - I wonder why the hoops for Aussies 🐨 🦘

Australia's not good at reciprocaty so that probably explains it.

Australia requires visas from a whole lot of countries that either offer visa on arrival or don't require visas for Australians. Very much an imbalance that "favours" Australia.

On 3/22/2024 at 10:58 AM, cruiser3775 said:

I asked that question, and the Melbourne consulate said that they only start looking at the visa applications about six weeks before your date of arrival in Chile. I think that is because they are overwhelmed by the workload. There seems to be only one person who deals with visas and she works part time.  That timetable makes life very difficult for the applicants. I was getting desperate three weeks out for my departure, thinking that if I didn't get the visa, I wouldn't be allowed to get on the plane (it was the first thing they checked at the airport). Then I would lose all the money I had paid out in advance and there was no way I could claim it on my travel insurance. 

If you go to the Trip Advisor forum for Chile and search under "E-visa for Australians" you can find a very long thread about this, which includes some good advice on how to supply the information they require for the visa.

I read the 250+ post re the Chilean visa. Wow. Some horror stories and stressed people regarding the process. One poster got her e visa in the  Check in queue. Yikes. Thankfully there weren't any "I didn't get my visa in time" posts.

Just wondering if getting a UK passport, which I qualify for, would be easier, lol.

1 hour ago, Galesa said:

I read the 250+ post re the Chilean visa. Wow. Some horror stories and stressed people regarding the process. One poster got her e visa in the  Check in queue. Yikes. Thankfully there weren't any "I didn't get my visa in time" posts.

Just wondering if getting a UK passport, which I qualify for, would be easier, lol.

It may.