Crowds at Baths/Devils Bay

Spencer71

Will be in Tortola on April 1, 8am-5pm from NCL Viva. I'm wondering if we should take Sensations Ferry to VG 8:30-1:45 and then go to Brewers Bay in Tortola when we get back using a taxi if we still have energy or else Speedy's 9:00-3:30 and then to Savannah Bay in VG. With Sensations, the earlier ferry might help us beat the crowds at the Baths/Devils Bay and perhaps see a better beach in Tortola. Alternatively, we can catch a later ferry and see the Baths/Devils Bay later on when there might be smaller crowds. I'm not sure how bad the crowds are and if I should be planning around it. The only ships in Tortola that day are Marella Discovery (~2000 passengers) and Viva (~3500 passengers), both arrive at 8am. Also, Brewers Bay vs Savannah Bay. None of us have been to BVI before. Thoughts?

Posted (edited)

We’d definitely choose the Sensations 8:30 ferry over, and the Speedy’s 3:30 return.

Hook up with one of the taxi drivers and use him/her to help make your day an enjoyable one! Savannah Bay is gorgeous, and one of the last remaining beaches not yet invaded by cruise line excursions. The driver can tell you the best time to head to the Baths.

Have a bite Mad Dog’s after, or stop in Spanish Town and relax at aches Bamboo before boarding the return ferry.

Another great option is renting a car from Mahogany, but using a driver gives you an edge, and taxi fares within the Valley area are just $5 - $6/pp…

Another poster has less time in port, and so cannot take advantage of this amazing day!

Edited by blue_water
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Last month we did the 8:30 Sensations ferry over and were the only 2 people on the ferry.  Once we arrived in Spanishtown I purchased return tickets for Speedy's 3:30 trip.  To me, it was worth the extra few dollars to have more beach time. 

Our taxi driver (my husband thought I hired him, I thought he hired him😮) took us to the baths and was there waiting for us when we finished at 3PM.  

Not realizing that the path is now one way in we arrived at the bottom and found out that we had to walk back up to get to Devil's bay. Knowing there is no food/facilities at Devil's bay we decided to have lunch at 10 AM.  Good burgers and great bush wackers!  I did my shopping (t-shirts) and we headed back up and took the path to Devil's Bay.  

Even though we were early we still hit a tour group of 20 or so people on the trail.  Slow going and husband had no interest in doing it again when we left Devil's Bay.  We just walked back up the path.  

While at the beach we saw the ship excursions come and go.  No way would I want to be in that group or behind that group. They spent very little time at the beach, the groups came and left in waves. 

I had a great time.  Note, there is not much shade there, my husband apparently forgot and whined but he found a shrub to sit under.  I spent over 3 hours in the water and loved every minute of it.

Thanks blue_Water, I used your advice to decide what to do that day! 

Sheal

Edited by Sheal
  • Thanks 1

Should we do the Baths or Devil's Bay first? If Devil's Bay, we don't have to walk back to the top, right? But if we do the Baths first, I'm guessing this is where most of the crowds come, so we would avoid that. How long do you can spend exploring the caves? I'm wondering if we should try and make time to take a taxi to Savannah Bay after the Baths/Devils Bay.

Yes you have to walk back up. Offer two tours will arrive at nearly the same time, one will start down the “normal” path, and the other down the path to Devil’s Bay. What a mess that turns into…

I’ve read that they no longer allow folks to go down the path to Devil’s Bay, at least those planning to go through the boulders.

As I suggested in other threads, we would definitely “hook up” with a taxi driver wiling to work with you during your time on the island. Fares in the Valley area are reasonable ($5 - $6/pp wash stop). He/she can advise whether to go early or hold back and enjoy Savannah first.

The unknown here is whether your ferry arrives before the FIRST excursion or after? Does the cruise line have an early ferry chartered for an excursion? 
The driver should be able to give you the best guidance along with what you see when you arrive..

• Thanks 1

Remember that you are arriving with a ship full of others with similar interests, and possible other ship passengers!

That’s why we would never go to the Baths unless staying in the islands and being able to really avoid any cruise ship crowds…

I don’t remember your port times or what ships are in port, but you may want to just enjoy a nice cat sail, ferry to Jost, or enjoy beautiful Tortola!

• Thanks 1